R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Hyper 7 TQ Sport .21 or .28?

First of all, hello to everyone, I'm James and new to the forum

I've been looking for a little information, and was hoping that people here could maybe help, I'd be most appreciative if that were the case. My question is this; I'm looking to buy my first nitro buggy, it must be RTR, due to my extremely limited experience, 1:8, and with a decent combination of ruggedness/pace. So far the Hobao hyper 7 TQ sport seems to stand out for value purposes, and they come very highly reccomended, although if anybody has any other suggestions for around the 200 mark, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

So, assuming I'm buying a RTR Hyper 7, I've been looking at the TQ sport black edition (based on the fact that I think it looks pretty) which comes with the .21 engine, or the TQ sport mac28 edition (I think it's called that) which comes with the mac* .28 engine. Is the .28 engine going to be considerably faster? And if so, am I going to pay for that with any negative traits, much worse fuel economy etc? This is not really a huge factor, but would be good to know. Is it possible that the larger engine will be faster at the top end, but with less low down grunt than the .21, or am I just talking crazy nonsense? Basically, which engine is best/fastest?

I can pick up either of these 2 buggy's for roughly 195 RTR, so if anybody has any opinions or other ideas, please, let me know.

I've also been considering a 2nd hand buggy, maybe one with some money already spent on upgrades/improvements or which was more expensive in the first place, for roughly the same cash. Is this a good/bad idea? And do people often do this? And again, any suggestions?

Thankyou for sitting through my ridiculously/needlessly long first post, and thanks i advance for any replies.

James
Lawson1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

If you are looking to go racing and go fast Id look at buying a kit. I've had bad experience at second hand stuff. start out from scratch. Hyper is an old buggy. Look into something new. Kyosho,jammin,losi,xray, ect. and buy the engine seperate. better in the long run.

if you HAVE to go rtr... go for the jammin x1x rtr =]
Old 09-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have a Hyper 7 Pro kit, and I can tell you that even though they are slightly outdated, they are still one the top 3 RTR biggies out there. You can race it, right out of the box. The Macstar .28 is a piece of shit engine. See if you can find one with a Hyper .21 engine in it, as this engine is the closest sport engine you will find to a racing Engine. I have a Race roller for sale, but you need engine, pipe and electronics. But it is hopped up to the max, and worth about $1000 (US) PM me if you have any interest. It's in perfect working condition, and it rocks, I'm including enough spare parts to build almost 2 buggies
Old 09-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Well it seems that the jammin is a bit above the price range i was looking at, at around 300. I've also seen the kyosho inferno gsxr .28 which seem to be selling for around 250. It's only gonna be used occasionally for a bit of fun. So i want something fast, that isn't gonna snap, but won't break the bank.

I seem to be choosing between the kyosho and the hyper now, with the kyosho being around 50/60 more. It is worth this price premium, or would i likely be just as happy with the hyper? I've on intention to race or anything more than a quick play every now and then.

Thanks for the replies
Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Oh, and i can pick up the hyper 7 tq sport black edition with the .21 on ebay for 195 shipped. Seems like a good price
Old 09-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

when you buy things used... you get what you pay for...
Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

lawson, go with the hyper 7. if your not intending to race this car will be more than sufficient for your needs.

also there are plenty of parts available for the car if something should break.

no point spending 100s and 100s of your hard earned money when it's only going to be used as a toy and not raced.

if you were racing i would suggest to save some more $$$ and as the other guys have said get a kit. the extra hopups kits provide will save you $$$ in the long run.

best of luck with your car choice. you'll have loads of fun with it.
TC3ElectricGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Yeah i'm thinking that i did originally like the hyper 7 black edition, and i'm extremely unlikely to be modifying/upgrading the car in any way. Unless there's something cheap that makes a big difference.

Well i guess i'll place my order for the hyper, next day delivery, and get my ass down to the hobby shop for some fuel

I just hope i'm not disappointed by the .21. Then again, compared to the old kyosho gx12 i believe is on my 1:10 touring car, it should feel fairly quick
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Unless of course everyone thinks i'm making a huge mistake.

Oh god i'm awful at making decisions
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The .21 will be fine in the buggy I had to race one as a loaner at a race in a heavier truggy and it worked ok. You say you wont be modifying it but trust me once the bug bites it hard to stop modifying. Have fun with your new car
Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Hmm, well ok, the current plan is that i won't be modifying it. It's just intended to be something of a weekend toy that i can take down to the park for a quick spin. That's why i wanted to make sure it'd be fast enough to be fun, not really competitive.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson1024 View Post
Hmm, well ok, the current plan is that i won't be modifying it. It's just intended to be something of a weekend toy that i can take down to the park for a quick spin. That's why i wanted to make sure it'd be fast enough to be fun, not really competitive.

Ok big Mistake using the word toy! I say that in all seriousness, and not to be rude. The first thing someone told me about this hobby, before I ever bought a car was this hobby is 40% work 40% money, and 20% fun. That is the God's honest truth. Trust me when I tell you they are not toys. Toys don't need to be maintained, toys don't need a constant influx of money, toys don't need to be cleaned, protected, fixed, and toys usually cannot hurt you if you are not careful. I crashed my first RC Buggy into my own ankle doing circles around myself, and wound up with 8 stitches. i also crashed another buggy into a curb at top speed, and watched it explode! and burn down to the chassis. Please take the time to learn what you are getting into before you go buy this so-called toy. You will learn quickly that if you neglect it, or try to run it without knowing what you are doing, it will be very frustrating, and very expensive.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

I think you misunderstood my meaning of the word 'toy' slightly. My other weekend toy is currently an evo 5, which, i can assure you, requires a lot more expense and effort to maintain than a 200 remote control buggy.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Tech Lord

No offense meant, just tryin to prevent people from learning the hard way as I did. Have you looked into any Truggies? For weekend Park bashing they may be more fun. More ground clearance, easier to drive, more durable, and even faster in some cases. You may find it to be much more fun for taking to the park on weekends. The Hyper ST from Ofna is a pretty Good RTR, and should be about the same price as the Hyper 7 TQ
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Sorry, none taken, i'm just finishing a nightshift at 6am over here in england and i'm probably being a little more snappy than i should be. I hadn't really thought about a truggy, i had mainly decided on a buggy because i like the looks probably not the most well thought out reasoning i admit.

I'll have a look at some truggy's. Providing they're as available as buggy's in the uk. The jammin suggested earlier all seem to be us imports, which means roughly the equivalent of $100+ on shipping.