R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Hobao is from Asia. I am sure they have distributors in England. They make both Jammin, and Ofna Truggies, and Buggies, although the Jammin stuff comes from a different factory. The jammin truggy will be much more $$$$, and really not needed for weekend bashing. Take a good look at the Hyper ST. I have the pro Kit, and I love it, and I hear lots of great things about the RTR, and I have read about them online and everyone who has one is very happy with it. In the USA they are right about $400 USD. Check it out. I personally think you will be much happier with a Truggy. They handle better, jump further, easier to clean, and maintain and work on, and you can put any engine you want in them from .28 to .40. I have both, and truggy is just more pure Fun, buggy has some pain in the ass to it. For racing and tracks, Buggy is the only way to go though
Old 09-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Sigh, well congratulations on complicating things and confusing me even further! I guess i shall have to have a re-think and see what i am best suited to.

Perhaps a buggy vs truggy thread beckons. Unless of course such a thread already exists...
Lawson1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

I was planning on using this for on and off road driving. How are the truggy's on tarmac? Are they better suited to grass?
Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Truggies drive on anything. The opposite is true for the buggies. Buggies do not do well in very rocky areas, nor do they do well if the dirt is very lumpy, and grass over a few inches tall will really slow them down and cause lots of spin outs.

The higher ground clearance, and the massive tires on the truggy, make them more suited for any terrain, and they are just as fast.

My track has races for both classes, and they talked me into getting a truggy to go with my buggy, so I can race both classes, and I love it. I really thought it would be slow and sluggish compared to the buggy, but that is not the case at all. In a straight line drag race on Pavement, My truggy is a touch faster because of the .28 engine compared to the .21.

If I go to the beach, or the park, or the woods, the truggy can come with, the buggy stays home and crys!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

To be honest, I was thinking the same thing about the truggies. They simply don't look as fast, but from what you've said, a truggy seems like it would be pretty much ideal for my needs.

So, now that we've managed to render the thread title irrelevant and discover that I'm an idiot, onto the subject of truggies: Now, according to my logic, the fact that a truggy is bigger than a buggy, justifies my spending more on it. So if I was looking to spend up to around 300, hopefully still on an RTR truggy, would you recommend anything other than the hyper st? Or is this an ideal choice for me?

Thankyou for all your replies and advice by the way, it's all very much appreciated, and I suspect that you've already saved me from wasting a couple of hundred notes.