R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default RC10 GT Brake disc

Bought this one used and is my first, car has a gold metal disc that leaves metal shavings everywhere and needless to say it doesn't brake very well.

Is this a normal setup or should there be a fiber disc there in place or in conjunction?

Another question about placing RX batt pack....is the rear optimal or can I place it in front of the front shock tower? Will this push the front too much since I would like to use this for a street buggy for time being?
gmcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

My Factory Team GT had a fiber brake disc. The metal one might have been homemade.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

the brass brake disc is a hop up, when racing at the track the fiber brake disk was too grabby for some, and in answer to this some companies came out with discs of different materials and a couple others came out with a drum brake mechanism to replace the stock setup. this was done to allow a more linear braking curve that would yield better braking control.

being a 2wd the rear position is the best for overall peformance. since you will need more weight at the rear of the car for traction. it is best to use the highest quality zipties you can find to secure the battery in place, the battery gets a rough ride back there and the extra secure mounting will help it to stay in place. when running mine i used to use 2 zip ties to secure it to the skid and another one or two to secure it to the shock tower/rear bulkhead.

hope this helps.. for regular bashing the fiber disc would be sufficient and its only like 3 bucks or so. if yours has the plastic hex holding it to the slipper plate i would reccomend getting the aluminum one as it will hold up better
looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the tips.

I think I will try the fiber, don't really like all the brass flying around and it doesn't brake well at all even with the 125 oz Airtronics. Does the brake work with metal on metal contact? Should there be some type of other material to grab the disc or just the metal?

Thanks again.
gmcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

the calipers are metal and the fiber disc is the "brake pad" so to speak.. in stock form there is nothing in the way of brake pad material attached to the metal pieces that clamp on to the disc so you are all good there.

to replace the brake disc just remove the slipper assembly and the 4 screws (two on top and two on bottom) from the front of the tranny case (although there is another way that might work in the next paragraph) that would allow the calipers to move for installation. you wont need to remove the tranny from the chassis to do it.

Other way would be to remove the slipper assembly then remove the disc hex from the shaft, this will give some wiggle room to work the old off and the new on there. dont force it the fiber disc is not fragile but with enough force it could warp or partially break,bend, whatever.
looper is offline   Reply With Quote