Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novarossi 367?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Novarossi 367?

So I go to fit my new Novarossi in my Xb8, I fit the flywheel and add a few drops of ARO down the plug hole and carb, before fitting in the buggy I try turn it over but can't!! the only why to get this engine passed TDC is with mole grips, I've seen many engines in my time but never seen this before.
I think it must be a bad matching piston and liner so mount the engine in the lathe to get some run time on it, an hour later and half a bottle of ARO it's still too tight to turn over by hand!! it still has the "squeeking" sound as the piston goes passed TDC.

I'll be sending the engine back to the shop Monday.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cabbie
So I go to fit my new Novarossi in my Xb8, I fit the flywheel and add a few drops of ARO down the plug hole and carb, before fitting in the buggy I try turn it over but can't!! the only why to get this engine passed TDC is with mole grips, I've seen many engines in my time but never seen this before.
I think it must be a bad matching piston and liner so mount the engine in the lathe to get some run time on it, an hour later and half a bottle of ARO it's still too tight to turn over by hand!! it still has the "squeeking" sound as the piston goes passed TDC.

I'll be sending the engine back to the shop Monday.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine. All engines are very tight new. If you spun that engine over with force for an hour cold with only ARO, you just hammered out the rod bushing and crank pin.

All new engines are tight and will need heating to get them to turn over. Once the break-in is done, it will turn over easier.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Tech Initiate

I tried a heat gun and that made no difference, I know engines are tight new but this isn't tight it's almost locked solid.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You heat gun the engine, then start it. If you turn it over dead cold, it will do nothing other than ruin the engine. They will still lockup when hot new. It will take about 1-2 gallons till they stop locking up.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The last time I helped someone on the track break in a 367, I had to get it up to 250+ with the head wrapped in aluminum foil in order to start it and keep the head from getting stuck. Did you temp the engine? Or did you just heat it up for a few seconds? In fact I had to hammer the flywheel with a screwdriver to keep it from getting stuck. Sorry bud, Italian motors are just that way and I agree with the others here that your're putting a ton of stress on the conrod bushing/piston by forcing it to turn cold.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best way to run in a "super tight Novarossi " is to use the Hudy break in stand, the prop acts as an extra heavy flywheel and helps to keep things moving. I heat the hell out of the head and crankcase 220 plus and then crank it up . Run the engine at about 16k on the stand for about 3 hours or so , about a quart of fuel maybe more it all depends on the engine. the mechanical pinch will still be there but not nearly as bad. And you can put the engine in your car and start to tune it . This works for me . trying to start those little monsters on a marginal box is just simply self masochism!