R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Great, My VZ-B Sucked Dirt! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/239805-great-my-vz-b-sucked-dirt.html)

Jim Bob 08-30-2008 01:04 AM

Great, My VZ-B Sucked Dirt!

So I noticed today that my VZ-B (in a MBX5R) had much less compression then yesterday so that made me very curious.......I took off the airfilter (which was just checked the other day and was fine) had dirt all on the inside of the boot and some in the venturi....GREAT! Brand new, well 1 gallon brand new VZ-B now has some pretty low compression....

My question is this, will I be ok just buying a new piston and sleeve or is the crank, bearings or conrod probably damaged? It wasn't sucking pepples or heavy heavy dirt but enough to make it lose compression. Any help is greatly appreciated as I do not want to purchase another $300 motor as I just bought it a couple of weeks ago.

:(:(:cry::cry::mad::mad:

smb17 08-30-2008 01:12 AM

Take it apart clean it out.. assemble n fire.

cm27456 08-30-2008 01:33 AM

cleaning might work, but dont count on it.

if you are worried about spending 300 bucks on an engine, get a Go-Tech 5 port turbo. for 220 odd USD it is awesome AWESOME bang for your buck.

cheesecake 08-30-2008 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by cm27456 (Post 4788422)
cleaning might work, but dont count on it.

if you are worried about spending 300 bucks on an engine, get a Go-Tech 5 port turbo. for 220 odd USD it is awesome AWESOME bang for your buck.

lol not another reccomend a junk engine lol i would avoid the go.....

and vspecs usually rn on low compression clean it up and see if it still runs

Jonro 08-30-2008 02:24 AM

I don't think its worth replacing the piston and sleeve on a V-spec because of the price that they are sold at you may as well be buying a new engine.

OP, if you do need to buy a new engine, do a bit of searching around and i suggest getting a GRP MR tuned promokit. These can be found surprising very cheap from Hong Kong sellers. And they are pretty much the Lamborghini of RC engines.

Jonro 08-30-2008 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by cheesecake (Post 4788462)
lol not another reccomend a junk engine lol i would avoid the go.....

and vspecs usually rn on low compression clean it up and see if it still runs

V-spec's arnt much better than GOs.

The Working Man 08-30-2008 02:25 AM

It'll run on the low comm. but order a con. rod soon.

mremtr 08-30-2008 04:39 AM

Inspect the con rod and bearings, if they are not all worn and loose after a good cleaning, then you can pinch your sleeve and be as good as new!
You need to be ANAL with airfilters !!! OR I don't care what engine you have ,it will be junk in a heart beat!!

WideOpenThrottle RC 08-30-2008 05:18 AM

I wouldn't get to hung up on how much compression it does or doesn't have as Vspec's lose there pinch around a gallon and develop a thump, and imo that's when they run best. Pull the motor apart and clean everything up, double check the sleeve to make sure there aren't any grooves in it reassemble and run. There's no sense in ordering parts for it if it still runs fine.

WideOpenThrottle RC 08-30-2008 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jonro (Post 4788476)
I don't think its worth replacing the piston and sleeve on a V-spec because of the price that they are sold at you may as well be buying a new engine.

OP, if you do need to buy a new engine, do a bit of searching around and i suggest getting a GRP MR tuned promokit. These can be found surprising very cheap from Hong Kong sellers. And they are pretty much the Lamborghini of RC engines.

Lamborghini of RC engines:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

rcdaddy 08-30-2008 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Qmartin (Post 4788648)
Lamborghini of RC engines:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly:lol:

Jonro 08-30-2008 07:10 AM

Well you could say that a V-Spec is like a F1 engine before they implemented the 2 per season rule, they haul ass but only last 2 races. GRPs are Italian quality, also haul ass but last 10 times longer, not unlike a Lamborghini.

ezveedub 08-30-2008 08:22 AM

Check the engine bearings and the crank for scoring in the shaft. Minor blemishes can be cleaned off. If the bearing feels gritty, then replace it and get the sleeve slightly pinched it needed.

Jim Bob 08-30-2008 08:47 AM

Ok cool, thanks for all the suggestions. We opened up the motor last night and it seemed fine, no grooves or notches but we didn't take the piston out and check the con rod or bearings so maybe I'll do that today.

smb17 08-30-2008 09:11 AM

:lol: Yeah like i said just clean it out. When you have these little motors out of the car you start to think too much about everything going wrong.

When I put my flywheel together and all I use after run oil in the cylinder to hydro lock it so I can tighten the nut and after I emptied it out it was really easy to turn over. After I kept working it it got better and better. Just little things like that will mess with your head. Just Gotta take it apart and see whats up. If all looks good throw it together.

What filters you run? I wanna make sure i don't buy them!!!:lol::ha: