R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default RB CONCEPT ENGINES

can any expert drivers that run rb concept engines tell me the normal operating temps on these. i heard they like to be ran pretty high. is that true?
Mark Erce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You don't need an expert driver to tell you the answer is no. RB's perform best around 230-250 much like all other engines. However keep in mind that every engine is deifferent just like a fingerprint. Somer perform better warmer some cooler. People say that RB's perform better at 260-280. That would not make sense if 300 degrees is the engine killer mark. You would only need to lean out once or twice due to no fault of your own to go over the 300 degree mark. Engines sometimes for different reasons will lean themselves or run richer. With that said I have found that RB's hold a tune like a vise. I have found that RB's like to be a tad rich on the bottom on the lsn. Ask Roddy yourself at the RB website http://www.rb-usa.com/main.php?part=Contact Use common sense when operating your engine. Tune for performance and tempature should be your guide for engine life. Always use the spit test to check your temp gauge.

I know spit test sounds stupid but it works and always gives you the same reading.

spit or drop drops of water on top fin or down by plug.

212 and below spit sits no action engines below 200 wear out fast
220-240 spit slowly bowls off 3-5 secs will not start to boil on contact
250-260 spit bowls off 3-5 secs will start to boil on contact

260-280 spit bowls off less than 2 seconds
280 and above spit will dance and evaporate immediately shut your engine off
Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Depends on which motor you are talking about. .12's run alot hotter then .21's.

I don't tune by temp. The only time I use a temp gun is for break-in and on occasion just to be sure. I tune for performance and let the temp take care of itself.

Generally speaking .21's will run anywhere from 210 to 270. .12's will run anywhere from 250-300 (try to keep them under 300 if possible).
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

basically with any engine they run there strongest between 220-260, you need to just make sure you have a decent smoke trail coming out of the exhaust aslong as you are seeing that the engine is getting a good amount of lubricant from the fuel, if you are running the engine over 300 and see nothing then its gonna be to lean, it will perform very strong just not for a very long time, i have found that temps are important, but not as important as just making sure there is a good smoke trail coming out of the engine, the ambient temperature that the engine is running in has alot to do with how hot the engine will run
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Arrow

Yep,
Remember these are "air cooled" engines so if its 105 degrees outside with high humidity don't expect 220 to be the target temp anymore. Humidity and altitude aside, here is a quick scale that works on my .21 size RB's. Also keep a eye on the smoke trail, but keep in mind some fuels smoke more regardless of temp, so don't let that be your only guide.

Approximate safe running temps:
70 degrees outside air= 205-220 engine temp.

80 degrees outside air= 220-230 engine temp.

90 degrees outside air= 225-245 engine temp.

100+ degrees outside air= 250-270 engine temp.

270= is about the max you should run these motors.

I noticed the L2G heads run about 5-10 degrees warmer on the temp gun, because the temp sensor sits closer to the head button. With the temp gun closer to the head button your reading a slight hotter area of the head.

If you want these motors to go 10+ gallons of fuel, keep your air filter very very clean, and don't get the motor over 245 if possible. Again, I cant stress the Air filter issue enough! Also change the connecting rod at 2-3 gallon mark.

Piece!

The best low cost temp gun known to man!:
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...7170026389.htm

Super good sale price on the new RB WS7 L2G here:
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...1454703918.htm
Inside_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i would take a practice day and tune a motor perfect. run it a little rich at first for a tank and check temps every 3 laps, lean it 1 hour at a time every 3 laps and watch how the motor acts. things like tires spinning out, clearing jumps, making jumps with less run-up and also the point in the straight away the motor reaches max rpm's. at one point the motor will seem to loose a bit of punch and wind out early in the straight away, decreased performance. since you've been watching temps every 3 laps or so you will know at what temp this motor ran the best. it may be 220 or 270 but remember to always use the same temp gun on that motor. someone else's temp gun could be 40 degrees either way and you'll be way off. i've been doing it like this a while now and it has worked great so far. you can also see how 1 hour change in the needle affects temps 8-15 degrees and you can hit your target temp ( with this temp gun on this motor on this track) after the first qualifier warm-up. if its cool or hot just have your pit guy adjust an hour or so and the motor should be good to go the whole day. some tracks your motor runs hot and some it runs cool, you have to tune to every track and weather.
j_blaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Tech Elite

All my RB's (Big Blocks) don't all run hot. (these are summer time temps) Take for example. My C6bbt-7 runs all day at (220), where as my TM928 & TM728 (230). On road C6 and my TM523 both run around (230-260). All in all RB's don't run any hotter than most Novarossi based engines. BTW, I run 25% nitro.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Default rb s5 glowplug???

thanks guys for all the helpful advice. sorry i didnt specify what engine i had. its a .21 s5 l2g. i just got another question. is their an alternate glow plug i can use instead of a rb plug(lhs doesnt carry them) would a hot plug be good? it seems like when i take the ignitor off the engine dies but when i leave it on it stays running. i gone through like 3 plugs already.....help!!!

thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I run Novarossi No. 7 and No. 6 . (turbo plugs) During the summer No.7 work like a champ with 25% . I also have a S7 and that runs great with No.7 or 8. I don't run hot plugs in the summer. 8 & 7 are cold plugs. 6 is a warm. I believe that turbo numbers are the same as standard plug numbers with the (t).

What nitro % are you running? It sounds like you are running a very cold plug in your motor if it keeps shutting down. You probibly are not burning out plugs but not getting an efficent burn. Go to a warm plug. If not novarossi plug, go with an OS. OS 8 plug will work fine also.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Default s5

i just need to know what plug i should use. the only thing now is the glowplug issue. the motor still needs to be broken in. i have almost a gallon through it and its still pretty hard to turn it over by hand. i know my temps were to high(280) and it was a cool day! they say not to run jp pipes on it b/c they make it run hotter so i'm going to switch back to my 086 pipe and i'm going to use 25% instead of 30%. hopefully these changes can bring my temps in the 250-270 range. i know all motors run differently and that your not really suppose to tune by temp so i'm going to focus more on the performance tune and then see what temps i'm running. i think this mill likes to be around the 270 range.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

I run only hot plugs in my RB's and they love them, I use dynamite #3's and they are not a fortune to buy and readily available, the thing about hot plugs makes them idle like a dream, I run 25% byrons (better run time than 30%)
Make plenty of power too! Lots of the "Pro" level drivers run 25%

My RB's like to be run a hair on the rich side and DEFINATELY dont run it too lean! They tend to blow up if they are run too lean... But yes definately tune for performance and smoke first, tem just to make sure you aren't too hot temp it occasionally... You should be gtg (good to go) if all that works out right... If it performs good and leaves smoke and is in the 240-270 window, you are golden! RB's are reliable and are excellent performers... Have fun!

Maybe we will be lucky and mike elam will post his advice, he is the RB guru in this part of the country!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercerc8 View Post
i just need to know what plug i should use. the only thing now is the glowplug issue. the motor still needs to be broken in. i have almost a gallon through it and its still pretty hard to turn it over by hand. i know my temps were to high(280) and it was a cool day! they say not to run jp pipes on it b/c they make it run hotter so i'm going to switch back to my 086 pipe and i'm going to use 25% instead of 30%. hopefully these changes can bring my temps in the 250-270 range. i know all motors run differently and that your not really suppose to tune by temp so i'm going to focus more on the performance tune and then see what temps i'm running. i think this mill likes to be around the 270 range.
I run RB6's for my plugs never thought about using anything else. Is the engine hard to turn over with the plug out after reaching temp? Otherwise with the plug in thats just compression not pinch and compression is a good thing. I experienced the same issues with the JP pipe in temps 260-280. I ditched the JP got an RB retuned to make bottom a lil rich and SHAZAAM. Temps fell to reasonable levels 220-250 after some good hard running. I use 20% and I don't think % is going to make alot of temp difference thats going to be tuning basically. Did you shim the head an additional .01 shim when you ran 30%?

What type of surface are you running on? If your running in the grass temps will be higher. Long speed runs make temps climb too. 270 I thought that in the begining also. Try to get it to run in the 250-250 range first. You can always lean out for some additional performance if needed. Once you get the temps to be steady at that range. However you should be finding good performance in this range. You have an S5 so it's a beast and it has it limits also. Make sure your expectations fall in line with what the engine can do. Keep in mind there should be 2 temps you operate at practice temp and racing temp. You dont's always need every bit of performance you can get. RB's are some really good engines take your time and you will find it will last a loooooooooong time unlike alot of other high dollar engines. That die after 6-8 gallons if that many. A RB treated right will get 10+ gallons. You will probally get tired of the engine before it gives out.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I run novarossi 6's, 5's in my RB WS7II and my C6 and never have my engines come off the track over 250. I run my engine a little fat on the top.

Chuck
cbaranski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

hello from the uk i have just bought a RB s7 lg2 and would like to know the best way to run it in i will be useing the rb6 plug and 25% bryons gen2 i have 2 pipes a jp4 and a hong nor 2047 which one of these will be best? hope some one can help many thanks martin
Old 08-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthethumbma View Post
hello from the uk i have just bought a RB s7 lg2 and would like to know the best way to run it in i will be useing the rb6 plug and 25% bryons gen2 i have 2 pipes a jp4 and a hong nor 2047 which one of these will be best? hope some one can help many thanks martin
Hong nor is probally the better of the 2 pipes to run a RB on. I still think RB pipes are better the RB 2045 would be a much better choice. No need to buy a new pipe get used one. I ran my engines in according to the manufatures guide. Some do heat cycling and I guess thats ok. I've gotten lots of life out of my engine running in using the manufatures suggested run in. Besides if you don't know how to heat cycle correctly your just going to do more harm than good.

Good Luck you got a BEAST of an engine in your hands!