What will electric do to nitro?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will electric do to nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Ok, as a nitro racer. I look at electric racers as preppy Izod wearing white collar guys that get together to sign petitions to keep minorities out of there yat club. Just too good to get their hands dirty with these little cars, they can’t keep their focus for any longer than five minutes. And get “prissy” when someone runs over their custom painted body. Just chill, you’re breathing all the fumes off the gel in your hair.

But,,,

As an electric racer. I see nitro guys as hairy Neanderthals that are upset that Gieco stole their image for the insurance commercials. They think that getting greasy is fun and adds flavor to the food they eat. Some of them see the movie, “Deliverance” as how life should be. Brushing your tooth (singular) is an option, and dentures are something that you strive for. Underpinning your house is “high class”, and getting it, “reposed” is a badge of honor.
All of us just need to chill….
(Sorry, it’s 3 in the morning and I’m trying to be funny.)
Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

...Insomniacs Rule! ...Good post, that was funny bro
Old 09-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

lipos and brushless have changed the look of electric. crazy how things have changed over the last 4 years. for me it's about the tunning, clutch. and the noise. it's alot of work to run nitro, u dont charge and drop.

AS far as chassi set up, both have to dial the chassi. u can over power nitro and electric.

run what u like and have fun.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm leaving 1/10 scale off-road electric,,, and purchased a 1/8 nitro buggy, why, wanted a change, I'm up for the extra maintenance and work and cash, and FUN. For me, something about the electric crowd, raced electric oval before electric off-road, and I found the same thing, just some of these peps to me are snob's(MY OPINION<MY RIGHT). I have went from oval electric, sold all of that, then went electric off-road, sold all that, now I'm entering the NITRO world, ALL IN 1 YEAR,,,,, Maybe I don't mix in the electric world,,, do I think electric will over take nitro???? If the electric racing world treats peps like I got treated, YES.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Wow, good posts about the characteristics of the different racing crowds. But I don't think it should be just stamped onto the electric guys and gals. Those kind of attitudes is all through out any form of competition. Often times it can be mistaken though. Some people are just more concentrated than others. I'll use myself for example. Yes, I'm very cometitive when it comes to racing...I'm the type that will race you're aerodyamic machine with a Brick...If you beat me, I'll go home think of how to beat you the following week...With that VERY same Brick!...Thats just me, but NEVER will I be known as a snob, thats not cool for anyone to be that way...In the pits I love talking and joking with everyone...On the track, I'm all business, simply because that's what I PAID registration for...To race and have good finishes and a win here and there. I use to think the same way about some individuals I ran with, but after really looking at things, ya just figure that Some find the fun in being competitive on and off the track. Nitro or Electric, there are individuals that find it fun being all business. They don't look at this as just a hobby, they look at this as their serious sport. Its their weekend Baseball, Softball, or Football league and they came to play hard... Yeah, some need to loosen up and be a bit more friendly, but hey, maybe they don't realize it because they are serious about being there to win or place well in races. Yes, some do find "FUN" in doing that...I don't think I know of anyone, Electric or Nitro, that consistently had bad races, always lost, or broke, that actually stayed a happy camper within this hobby/sport. But, its always best to be friendly to everyone, because electric, or nitro, you support the same cause.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I haven't driven an electric 1/8th, i have seen a fair few... as i have gone past them.

I'm not racing this weekend so no one should make/see me eat my words before this thread is forgotten
Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by justag3
I'm leaving 1/10 scale off-road electric,,, and purchased a 1/8 nitro buggy, why, wanted a change, I'm up for the extra maintenance and work and cash, and FUN. For me, something about the electric crowd, raced electric oval before electric off-road, and I found the same thing, just some of these peps to me are snob's(MY OPINION<MY RIGHT). I have went from oval electric, sold all of that, then went electric off-road, sold all that, now I'm entering the NITRO world, ALL IN 1 YEAR,,,,, Maybe I don't mix in the electric world,,, do I think electric will over take nitro???? If the electric racing world treats peps like I got treated, YES.
I did the same thing, went from flashlights to smoking. It's fun and both are great, but electric is what i want now and will convert all mine to electric. I have already converted my rc10 GT to brushless, and love it more
Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

I like how so many say nitro racers are rude and etc that all we do is wrench on our cars all race day. You know I've watched the electric racers spend all there time charging batts and wrenching on there cars all day too. They can be just as rude as any other racer out there. I think we have all seen it between the two classes

So I think it's fair to say both classes do about the same amount of time working on there cars. Both classes can get caught up in the moment of of the race
Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
I like how so many say nitro racers are rude and etc that all we do is wrench on our cars all race day. You know I've watched the electric racers spend all there time charging batts and wrenching on there cars all day too. They can be just as rude as any other racer out there. I think we have all seen it between the two classes

So I think it's fair to say both classes do about the same amount of time working on there cars. Both classes can get caught up in the moment of of the race
Amen

Again, I don't or wouldn't hope that anyone is going out of their way to be an A** or rude. Some are there to do more racing than socializing. I know a few racers that are so focused that they barely say a word DURING race time. But after the racing is over, they are the most social peeps on the scene. I don't mind this at all.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Nothing to my interest of running nitro, several reasons
1) I hate to solder 2) I love nitro engines, in the way they are 3) I hate loading batteries, even lipos 4) cars need to make noise (maybe a loudspeaker to electric cars similar to what Tamiya has in their tanks)
Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

All this bickering is stupid and pointless! You guys going back and forth with the rude comments are doing nothing for our hobby. The original poster ask what will it do and without directly answering the question you showed him the seperation. Plain and simple its personal preference one isn't better than the other. If you think there is less maintenance on electric you're fooling yourself. When I ran electric (before brushless) there was still a lot of work. To the comment that electric racers are more laid back is BS. That boils down to the individual bacause I run at a track thats 97% nitro and have never heard anyone scream/bitch at a marshall. Lets make this a productive thread and try to answer the poster's question with some sort of common sence. All this does is scare any potential new racer away from both. Electrics have a place in urban/indoor tracks where noise and fumes are an issue. Personally I can see having one of each just for the reason above. Just get out there run your car of choice, help out the fellow racer nitro or electric but most of all have a blast doing it. It's not a race running by yourself!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by mremtr
ROTFL Yeah let's see the electrics run for an hour long main and still be clean..... and not have bent /broken /mangled parts. About the only thing I see that might be a bit different is the smeg from the exhaust and spilt fuel.
Speedos fry and batteries go up in smoke if geared wrong, and the drive train gets totally torchered from a lack of a slipper type clutch. Batteries are expensive, speedos are as well. Then you need a good powersupply and chargers. Gad zukes!! This crap is expensive!! But on the good side one little mistake (like airfilter missing a ziptie) and your nitro engine is a paper weight!!
But same errors can be made with electrics too . Wrong gearing choice and your motor could go up in smoke or your speedo or both !
I don't see electric 1/8th as an issue as of yet so I wouldn't sweat it .

ive never fried a esc from wrong gearing. let alone a motor. you really have to be stupid to do that. second of all i used to run my t3 slipper locked with a 3.5r doing backflips on the track. no tranny issues. electrics arent as fragile as you think
but they arent a 1/8 nitro.
but i guess i could also say that nitro drivetrains are weak too since ive ate a bunch of center diff internal gears. landing on power with my 1/8 electric conversion!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
MDB
Suspended

IMO, nitro is doing it too themselves, with the high prices of fuel, parts, and cars.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

1/8 electric probably won't hurt 1/8 nitro a whole lot, but there will likely be a lot of 1/10 electric racers going to 1/8 electric since the cars are more durable and handle rough tracks better. Personally, I love them all.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Paul_67
1/8 electric probably won't hurt 1/8 nitro a whole lot, but there will likely be a lot of 1/10 electric racers going to 1/8 electric since the cars are more durable and handle rough tracks better. Personally, I love them all.
thats EXACTLY why i did it. i love 1/8 just not the nitro aspect. (personally my pockets arent that deep for keep up )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.