R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ruune Send a message via AIM to Ruune Send a message via Yahoo to Ruune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks View Post
Haha, very true. I had to put a sticker on my shell that says, "Flop me over, I am electric" because marshals kept bringing my electric car to the pits thinking it was dead. Several racing buddies have said I should put a noise maker on it. LOL
Maybe a playing card in the spokes?

...and whats all this noise about the deep south?
Ruune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
For the hardcore nitro crowd on this thread:

IMO, electric racing in general (I'm talking mostly 1/10 offroad here) is more laid back.... less frantic and stressful. This weekend, we had a big electric race and a kid who only runs nitro commented about how chilled out we seemed to be. Just relaxed and joking, not stressed and wrenching non-stop.... etc. We joked that it's an "electric thing" and that he should try it.

Now... on the track it's just as intense as nitro, but without the common stress and frustration of a motor losing it's tune or flaming out, etc.. it's just a different vibe, IMO.

I like racing nitro too, but not every week. When everything is running good, it's a blast and I like the noise... as long as I have a radio in my hand. "BRAAAAAAP BRAAAAP!!!!!" does wear on me after a long day though

Assuming the 1/8 electric forms it's own class, I hope to see big races take on an IFMAR type of format, with triple A mains. That way, the electric class ends up with the same time on the track and same chance to make up for a bad start, etc. I think doing 45 min and changing batteries is not a good idea. Three 10 or 15 minute races would be better, and take no longer than a 30 or 45 min nitro race. No hot laps, refueling, rolling start dances, etc...
I agree about the mains. I rather run two or three 15 minute mains. I think long races are stupid personally. Boring and no longer a race, but one of attrition.

I don't think electric is reliable enough for anything longer than 15 minute mains. First, 15 minutes is easy to make with a proper setup on 4s, 5s or 6s. As long as you aren't running a hot 1512 1.5d or other high amp motor, you should be able to make a 15 minute main with a couple of warm up laps. Second, anything longer puts a lot of stress on the components. I ran a 30 minute A main and my Neu 1512 2.5d came off the track at about 220 degrees. I promptly smoked it the next weekend racing, partly because I overtaxed the motor. After 15 minute mains I rarely see temps above 170. Anything longer is just pushing it and making an already expensive money pit even more expensive with failed motors and escs.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The hardest part of racing electric with nitros is that the marshalls can't hear you coming! I have almost decapitated marshalls who don't look before stepping out on the track to turn over a nitro or running back to pit lane.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #64
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
Did I put anybody down? I said I think its dumb when people think that because they have something of power, there that much better than you. Thats putting you, as im guessing a "brushless racer" down?

how do you know that Im not a brushless racer? Im building a Brushless revo rite now actually. Think I would wanna diss myself?

I live in Oregon, far from the deep south.

And we are all playing with toy cars, thats why Im saying people being ignorant and stupid is dumb. Go buy a damn go kart if you wanna be a preppy stuck up ignorant biatch. You will fit in quite well there. (I used to race go karts, way back. So did my Father and brother. No offence to any normal people that love karting )

If you would like to hang out, have fun, race, be chill, Have at it with R/C. But other wise, I dont wanna see bull crud like you twisting my words anywhere near where i go to have fun and relax.

Well said man. Well said

I dont feel like typing up a big thing over this. So I wont. But being a BL, and nitro racer my self, its not just the BL guys, the nitro guys can be the same. Im not aiming that at anyone. I just think we all say to hell with it, and lets all just RACE
Old 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #65
Tech Rookie

I love the smell of burning 30% Byrons, I love maintaining my car, I love knowing I have half of my local field covered because I can tune my engine, I love the sound of 12 buggys blasting down the straight, I love panic revving my engine to bring the front end up on a jump, I love the smell on my clothes at the end of a day of racing, I love the puff of smoke when I nail the throttle on the down side of a jump, I love tinkering with the clutch to get the engine to hit harder. I love the intensity and the hectic nature of nitro. I don't go to the races to take a nap.
trlprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Whats up with the bitchiness in this thread? People are being bitches over something retarded as Electric VS Nitro. Its all personal opinion, so all you guys that are saying that one is so much better, shut your mouth. If you personally like one or the other, say so. Do not try to be a damn retarded preacher and shove your word down the opposite sides mouth. And dont bash somebody for there opinion ether.

This is so dumb that people playing with something as dumb as toy cars get into dumb things like this. Whos gonna wanna come into the hobbie, and possible make that BL Class bigger? NOBODY, with threads like this. If a Kid wants to get a, lets say BL 8ight, his dads gonna see this and put him into something else. What person would want there kid to race with people acting younger than the kid himself?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #67
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlprk View Post
I love the smell of burning 30% Byrons, I love maintaining my car, I love knowing I have half of my local field covered because I can tune my engine, I love the sound of 12 buggys blasting down the straight, I love panic revving my engine to bring the front end up on a jump, I love the smell on my clothes at the end of a day of racing, I love the puff of smoke when I nail the throttle on the down side of a jump, I love tinkering with the clutch to get the engine to hit harder. I love the intensity and the hectic nature of nitro. I don't go to the races to take a nap.
Right here everybody. This guy gives his statement, without bashing one person that enjoys BL Racing.

So why dont all you people from "The Deep South" Get you ass in gear and act like this guy.

Sorry I take this personally, I think its dumb.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:36 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlprk View Post

AWESOME!
This needs to be put to song...I'm thinking Eddie Money- I Love A Rainy Night.

I take it you can guess where I stand on the debate :P
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #70
Tech Adept

I think we could talk about politics and offend fewer people.

I have to say, I really enjoy the smell and atmosphere in the nitro part of the hobby. I love when practicing, all I have to do is add gas.

However, I also really like trying new things, tinkering with new setups, and especially the look on peoples faces when they see my brushless truggy open up on the straight aways.

My 2 cents however, when comparing the two (which is what this forum is right? I thought maybe we were talking about the civil war?) ...

Driving nitro I find myself working to keep up or stay in front. I am constantly pushing myself to go faster. vs...

Driving electric I find myself trying to go slower, maintain control, and keep consistency.

I hope that insight can help someone pondering which route to take. I will definitely agree with what many have said, although electric is exciting, neat, and fascinating nitro "ain't goin' no where" (don't mock me, I have southern charm)
Larks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #71
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardracer View Post
electric is for those lazy guys who dont like to play with their cars or for a loner/basher so your "real" car doesnt ger broken
Really? We Still can tune the chassis, tune tires, tune gearing and when its hot and muggy, when you are wondering if yours will run right, We will have tuned the oils and tires for the main. Just got to decide on pit strategy, One pack and pit every 5 minutes (as a courtesy to you smokers) or one battery change and lighter running weight.
This is not to insult or flame, I just hate the lazy comment about us flashlights. We work as hard and race as hard as anyone
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #72
Tech Fanatic

I have no ideal who's car it was just I got wack lol. In fact I blur out who's car is who's I'm just there to marshall
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #73
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjr View Post
Really? We Still can tune the chassis, tune tires, tune gearing and when its hot and muggy, when you are wondering if yours will run right, We will have tuned the oils and tires for the main. Just got to decide on pit strategy, One pack and pit every 5 minutes (as a courtesy to you smokers) or one battery change and lighter running weight.
This is not to insult or flame, I just hate the lazy comment about us flashlights. We work as hard and race as hard as anyone
Yeah thats for sure.

The funny thing is I will bet money he has never driven, let alone owned a BL racer like us. I think it is quite funny how you can know everything thats going on, with out running it. Wish I was as smart as him
Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #74
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO View Post
Yeah thats for sure.

The funny thing is I will bet money he has never driven, let alone owned a BL racer like us. I think it is quite funny how you can know everything thats going on, with out running it. Wish I was as smart as him
You being smart bro, that be something scary! haha