R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Bad Compression Maybe?

I'm having another problem with my nitro evader, early I thought maybe it was just the needles but now i'm not sure. I've replaced the piston and sleeve about 2 weeks ago and now i'm having the same signs.

It's hard to start....and is eating up my c batteries like crazy. When I put a fresh battery in the starter it starts when I give it about half throttle and as long as I keep it going it want shut off but once I let completely off the throttle it dies. I checked my flywheel and its not super easy to spin but its not where it should be I believe. I can spin it no problem with my finger.

Seems like pistons go bad a lot in the dtx 18. I run it on a flat dirt track and I can never get it full throttle on the track so idk why it messes up like this. I have a nice air filter, with a pre filter on it as well and I keep it oiled so its not dirt in the engine.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

I suggest getting an engine thats not made by duratrash, thats ur main problem. I think its kinda funny how in another thread u suggested someone to buy a duratrax because there good and dependable when ur having problems with yours. That just doesnt make sense to me.
chris1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

The Duratrax engines are rebadged OS engines but the are the bottom of the line ones to keep the RTR cost down. If you don't need that much power on your track then I would suggest buying a good quality engine. OS makes good .12's along with dynamite. A good beginner friendly .12 is the OS .12CV and I am not saying this just because I have one for sale, they are great engines that are easy to tune and the parts are cheap for them and other people will back me up on these things.

Good Luck.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Well you're going to have problems sometime or anything, I didnt suspect this often by the dtx though.

I looked at some 0S 18. and they aren't that expensive either. I am going to the hobby store tomorrow so hopefully I get some good input on the OS engines.