R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default nitro knowledge???

hey all: I was wondering a few things about off road nitro engines. First as far as truggy engines go some use .21cc for better fuel economy and others choose .28cc because they suposidly have more power so what other factors are there in choosing a truggy engine? Second i've seen 3,5,7, and even 9 port off road engines so which one(s) are legal or does each santioning body have their owne rules on this? Thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

There are no restrictions on ports.

.21 or .28 is kind of a personal choice that depends on the track and the driver.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post

.21 or .28 is kind of a personal choice that depends on the track and the driver.
+1

Generally the less ports there are the more torque or bottom end an engine has and the more ports there are, the more top end an engine has.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post

I agree. This is the best way to determine what engine to get. .28 will give you more power, but they are gas guzzlers, but that can be fixed with Venturi's extra fuel line, and a filter. If you run on a tight small track than I wouldn't think a .28 is needed. If you have huge jumps, and long straights, as well as tight jumps. (short approach) than go with the .28 The bigger factor is matching it with the right pipe, and the right clutch. Some pipes will cause your engine to burn through fuel allot faster, and if your clutch engages to late than you are wasting fuel for your truggy to just stand still. I run a Jammin JPX .28 in my truggy and its the bomb! I have a Hyper ST pro. If you have a Losi, they are smaller and lighter, so you can probably get all you need from a .21
Old 08-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 21 or 28

every track i've been to, truggy class had no restrictions on the size of the engine. it was pretty much whatever you bring. I've seen os vspec .21 run in the same class as a surefire .32 and collari .32. in buggy class nothing above a .21 is allowed, but you really don't need anything more than a competition class .21 when you race buggies. truggies, as long as you and the car can handle it, .28 seems to be the magic spot.

what it comes down to is how you drive and what the track is like as the guy above stated. if you like blipping the throttle a lot for no reason when you run your car, full throttling every chance you get, you may need the .21 to help control your impulses and help make your truggy more controllable. i have seen many people's lap times drop when they drop in power or drive slower. jumping from a .21 to .28 is a big difference in power (as long as we are talking about competition engines. rtr engines or cheaper engines are far slower) and you can have such thing as too much power. too much power will make your car more difficult to drive and wear your car out faster... but if you have the skills to handle the additional power, more power to you. I would say start with a good competition .21, and as your driving skills improve, move to the .28.

oh yeah, make sure the track is big enough for your truggy to take advantage of the extra power of .28 as well. for instance, if the track is behind a shop and has a foot print of a suburban front yard, .21 has enough power to get you around a track.

Last edited by cheesewhip; 08-29-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: edit
cheesewhip is offline   Reply With Quote