R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MBX5R Set up Help

So I am getting some pretty massive understeer entering turns off power at our local track and want to remedy that. I bought my buggies used so not sure how they are supposed to be set up stock. I am looking for a good starting point so I can start tuning from there. So what are your guys set up for a really wide track with pretty good grip.

I am running:
Brand new Crimefighter M2's
Gray springs front and rear
40wt in the rear with small pistons and medium spacers
27.5wt in the front big spacers
3k f
7k c
3k r
VZ-B with 14t
Futaba Fasst

Pics would be great as well!
www.builtrc.com
Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Tech Adept

get a copy of this;

http://www.mugenseiki.com/mbx5r-setu...0601kitstd.pdf

thats the stock setting sheet. try that exactly and you will be happy.

you can increase toe out for a bit more steer in once yo9u have the setup on. and if you want the rear to rotate more try a short rear link camber arm and maybe a high roll center as well.

if you want help with the setup. go to the xray website and get the hudy setup manual...

the mugen should have great turn in! i can normally hold the apex easily though i use more toe out than most about 4o out. i just fight it down the straight!
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Default set up sheet

Pracy;In MUGEN SEIKI JAPAN ver.0601J all stated in the set up sheet compared ver.0601E one you have posted are all the same but i noticed just the diff oil only its 3000 Front with 2pcs o-ring,3000 Center with 1pc o-ring,!000 R with out o-ring,is it the combo of 5000f 7000c 1000r with out o-rings.is it the same compared to what i stated?thank you

Last edited by lorinser999; 08-26-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: addtl
lorinser999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Tech Addict

I also have a question about the VZ-B. I think it is a great motor but damn did it lose compression fast. For the first few days you couldn't even turn it over with your hand but now I can turn it over easily. I still feel that there is pinch in the motor and it seems to drive ok but did anyone else experience this? Also what temps are people running with their VZ-B's?
www.builtrc.com
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I also have a question about the VZ-B. I think it is a great motor but damn did it lose compression fast. For the first few days you couldn't even turn it over with your hand but now I can turn it over easily. I still feel that there is pinch in the motor and it seems to drive ok but did anyone else experience this? Also what temps are people running with their VZ-B's?
Vspec's run best after they lose their tight pinch, once it turns into just a thump the motor is broken in.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmartin View Post
Vspec's run best after they lose their tight pinch, once it turns into just a thump the motor is broken in.
Ok awesome, I was a little worried that the motor was already going out! It has tons of white smoke and runs great. Usually hovers around 215 with the occasional spike to 230 depending on my tune haha.

Right now though I think I am little lean up top and rich on the bottom end. I had to keep richening it to get the idle down, I think I am just gonna lean out the bottom a bit, turn the idle down and richen the top and see what happens. I think my top end needle is about 2 1/2 have turns out from fully closed.
www.builtrc.com
Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Oiihhh!!! how dare you blasfeem a Mugen thread with an OS motor question!!!
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop&Roll View Post
Oiihhh!!! how dare you blasfeem a Mugen thread with an OS motor question!!!
I had an RB in it but prefer the OS
www.builtrc.com
Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #9

Quote:
I had an RB in it but prefer the OS
Hehehehe, thanks for having a sense of humour!!!
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Your biggest problem looks to be your shock setup, use the black pistons, the long grey springs and start out with 40 in the front and 35 in the rear. Be sure and limit the droop so you don't pull the shafts out of the shock ends.
moparsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

go to www.nitrojunction.com and there is a set up page that will help u
The #1 site for all your nitro needs
egobuster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparsrule View Post
Your biggest problem looks to be your shock setup, use the black pistons, the long grey springs and start out with 40 in the front and 35 in the rear. Be sure and limit the droop so you don't pull the shafts out of the shock ends.
Yea I limited my droop cause I pulled two shafts out of the shock ends in a couple of days. I am usuing the gray springs so I'll make sure I am using the black pistons.

Also a lot of these set up sheets aren't the same for me cause I have different shock towers, I will get pics and see if you guys can help identify them.

Thanks for the help.
www.builtrc.com
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinser999 View Post
Pracy;In MUGEN SEIKI JAPAN ver.0601J all stated in the set up sheet compared ver.0601E one you have posted are all the same but i noticed just the diff oil only its 3000 Front with 2pcs o-ring,3000 Center with 1pc o-ring,!000 R with out o-ring,is it the combo of 5000f 7000c 1000r with out o-rings.is it the same compared to what i stated?thank you
can you try to make sense a bit more pls. no offence i just dont understand what your asking.

if you are referign to a J version of the setup sheet please link to it as mugen only shows an E version and that is what is supplied with new kits...
Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Default HMMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy View Post
can you try to make sense a bit more pls. no offence i just dont understand what your asking.

if you are referign to a J version of the setup sheet please link to it as mugen only shows an E version and that is what is supplied with new kits...
anyway thank you!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy View Post

Il correct you for a bit,offence right spelling offense,referign right spelling referring GOOD DAY