Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Help - Newbie!

Hello All: I am a total newbie to the Nitro world. I purchased an entry level buggy (Exceed RC) to see if I liked the hobby and hone my skills before making an investment in a higher end vehicle.

Yesterday I set out to break in my buggy. I experienced a few issues...

1) Upon starting the engine - The car wanted to move forward with no throttle engaged. My question - Is this standard behavior or do I need an adjustment. I was thinking the idle adjustment is off.

2) Upon cruzing around the parking lot - The car suddenly stopped responding to the radio and slammed into the sidewalk and sputtered into a cloud of blue smoke. The pull start was completely seized up and could not be pulled. I removed the pull start and played with it and it seemed to become unseized. My question - What is standard operating bahavior? If I stop applying throttle, shouldn't the buggy roll to a stop? Given the speed of the car I think I need a fail safe mechanism so I don't take anyone out by accident?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated...Please be kind as I am new to this
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

1. Idle adj is where I'd start too. It needs to be lowered (usually tthis is turning out or CCW) to the point clutch starts engaging. Clutch is centrifigal and this is usual reason they want to move without using throttle on TX.

2. no it is not std - its a hazard of operating one though and you're lucky there wasn't a lot of damage when it went out of control. My tx has failsafe built in, so I don't use a separate one, but sounds like you should explore using one. Make sure batts for rx can't come out of holder - some use a rubber band, some use zip tie to make sure batts are secure. Lose a batt and it'll run off too - throttle return spring fights this or just insure batts can't come lose.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zbig555z
1) Upon starting the engine - The car wanted to move forward with no throttle engaged. My question - Is this standard behavior or do I need an adjustment. I was thinking the idle adjustment is off.

2) Upon cruzing around the parking lot - The car suddenly stopped responding to the radio and slammed into the sidewalk and sputtered into a cloud of blue smoke. The pull start was completely seized up and could not be pulled. I removed the pull start and played with it and it seemed to become unseized. My question - What is standard operating bahavior? If I stop applying throttle, shouldn't the buggy roll to a stop? Given the speed of the car I think I need a fail safe mechanism so I don't take anyone out by accident?
1) normal

2) How far was your buggy from where you were standing? Are your Tx and Rx batteries charged?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

All: Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to give it another shot this weekend...

>> How far was your buggy from where you were standing? Are your Tx and Rx batteries charged?

Brand new batteries in both car and radio.