R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #16
Tech Addict

motor sounds fine, and the idle is probably one of the last things i even worry about when tuning my motor, i never try to tune my motor so it can idle for days...you want to tune your motor to how it performs on the track. once you are done, tune your idle.

you can check to see if your low end is too fat by doing a pinch test, or the stop and go method...

Im not saying im a know it all at tuning, as i catch myself with some of the dumbest things to over look when tuning an engine, such as linkages, air leaks and clutch.

I also tend to ask people who i know are great at tuning engines for advice, and i also pay attention to what some of the faster guys do track side..

here is a link that goes into detail on engine tuning and so on, some great info from Ron Paris. Its old info, but its good info on tuning 2 stroke nitro engines:

http://www.momentum-rc.com/joom/inde...eral&Itemid=46
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You might have thin clutch shoe springs or they are just worn out.
slumlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well Pete that engine sounds pretty good. I suppose it could idle a bit slower but it's in a safe range now. If it really bothers you I would try swapping out the springs, shoes, bearings and see if that helps any. If the car is otherwise running well I think I'd just get used to being on the brakes when I want it to sit still. Sorry I don't have a better solution for you. These little mysteries of RC can be frustrating but are also part of the allure (for me at least). Good luck.
t0adman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #19
Tech Master

it does sound good, but how long will it idel for? If it will idel for no more than 15 to 20 seconds before loading up, it's about perfect. But if you opened the idel screw to counter the loading up, yes it will work, but you'll get that wheel spin. Mine idels for about 15 seconds before it loads up and another 10 seconds before it dies. Now I run mugen carbon shoes with 1.0 springs so my engine grabs quicker and I need it a little richer on bottom. Aluminum shoes can get away with a bit leaner, but I don't like how hard they hit. Personal preferance...

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:30 AM   #20
Tech Adept

This motor will idle without stopping it seems.
Captpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captpete View Post
This motor will idle without stopping it seems.
Then is possible that it's too lean on bottom. Unless you have the idel screw in to far. If you fattin up the bottom you will need to keep "blipping" the throttle to keep it from loading up before a race. (Thats why you see the rest of us doing it)

Old 08-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #22
Tech Master

I agree with jrwoodchuck. If it can idle indefinitely and doesn't load up then you're too lean on the bottom. Try richening it up a bit. When my V-Spec is race tuned I always have to blip the engine until I'm out on the track running. If not I load up big time.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #23
Tech Adept

I'll fatten it up on the bottom end tonight. I thought that you wanted it to be leaner to get the most punch out of the bottom end to get out of the corners fast?

Pete
Captpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captpete View Post
I'll fatten it up on the bottom end tonight. I thought that you wanted it to be leaner to get the most punch out of the bottom end to get out of the corners fast?

Pete
I wouldn't richin it more than 1/2 an hour at a time. I'll bet you are within 1 to 1 1/2 hours off. As far as punch, I tune that with the clutch setup. Stiffer springs will give you more punch, but you run the risk of spinning your wheels. But with the setup I run (posted above), the V-Spec has more than enough "grunt" for me. You can also change your gear ratio to a lower one. I'm not sure the ratio you run, but ask the guys at the track to see what they use, and maybe it's different.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
Tech Master

True, but too lean and you'll run hot, may lean bog, and apparently have trouble stationary idling. It's hard to truly diagnose it without being there but you might as well continue to tweak it. Follow the tuning guides to make sure you're tuning correctly then further diagnose the issue. Good luck.