R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec
Default Lipo run away??

Hey guys,

Looking for some help.Today i ran my lipo and regulator for the first time, the lipo is a vxr 2300 and the regulator is also a vxr.In my first race it was all good til about the 4 minute mark then my car had a runaway.

Came back to the pits and there is no response, then i dissconnected and reconnected the battery and it was all fine.

Now the battery was fully charged

The lipo regulator is INSIDE the radio box

I do not run a switch

I run spektrum pro reciever and a module in my JR Z-1

hopefully thats all the info needed for someone to tell what i am doing wrong.I have a few ideas about what happened, namely the regulator over heating but im not 100% positive

Thanks guys.

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Move the regulator outside the box. I have had the same experience running the Losi lipo and a Novak regulator and have seen three others with that issue. I put heat shrink over the regulator and servo taped it to the receiver lid, no more problems. When mine started glitching with a DSM radio I started looking towards the battery too, but when I opened the receiver box the heat comming from inside was off the charts.
nuttynative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hyper7vspec

Thanks for that, i will definately try putting it on the outside.

Would that explain the complete shutdown i had?

TLR - OMP/Modelflight - Orion - Proline - Nitrolux Fuel - Savox - HobbyWing - RCRS.com.au - Schelle - NVision - Ace Hobbies
hyper7vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7vspec View Post
Thanks for that, i will definately try putting it on the outside.

Would that explain the complete shutdown i had?
Yeah I guess they get hot. So keep it as far from the chassis and motor as possible. I see at the track all the time. I think its better to run 5 cell packs till we can get a servo that wont need the regulator or battery. Its to much to go wrong.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It might have. I haven't ran vxr or heard too much about them. Novak and Losi regulators have a overload protection circuit built in them. I have a Novak in my buggy and a Losi in the truggy. I haven't had any issues with the Losi regulator yet. On a side note, if you ever run the Novak BEC's change the on/off switch. I have had four switches go bad, one causing a runaway & damage. The last one would shut itself off on a hard landing. I now use a push button from radio shack as a switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Lipo run away??-x1x-004.jpg  
nuttynative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Fail safe question. With the vehicle not running, and TX and RX on, what does the throttle and steering servos do when you shut the radio off? I have to aks cause no one else has yet. I come upon people too often who have their failsafes set wrong without knowing it.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Did you have the right regulator as vx racing have a special one for spectrum and pcm model is lvr 5000
Quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK , take those regulators and throw them away, you need a BEC circuit for the failsafe to work ,the regulator shuts off the battery current and WHAMO run away , Idon't care what you do if the battery gets shut off the failsafe doesn't work. Recommend you use an easy turning servo for throttle and use a rubberband or spring to return your throttle!!
I personally use the lipo direct to my Spektrum reciever and then to the servos NO regulator. My servos are designed for 7.4 volts so I have no issues. Hitec servos work the best for me 5995TG steering and I think it's a 965TG on the throttle . Been using the 5995 for well over 4 years now.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr View Post
OK , take those regulators and throw them away, you need a BEC circuit for the failsafe to work ,the regulator shuts off the battery current and WHAMO run away , Idon't care what you do if the battery gets shut off the failsafe doesn't work. Recommend you use an easy turning servo for throttle and use a rubberband or spring to return your throttle!!
I personally use the lipo direct to my Spektrum reciever and then to the servos NO regulator. My servos are designed for 7.4 volts so I have no issues. Hitec servos work the best for me 5995TG steering and I think it's a 965TG on the throttle . Been using the 5995 for well over 4 years now.

That's true...but some receivers can't handle 7.4+ volts. Some receivers have a built in BEC, but others don't. I'm more worried about cooking my receiver than my Hitec servos.

Does anyone here know if JR310, Futaba R603FF, Airtronics 92324, Spectrum SR3100,Hitec Synth,or Novak XXTRA receivers will have a problem with the 7to8-ish volts that will come from a 7.4V LiPo pack?

Dangit, when did all my favorite cars, trucks, airplanes, and engines become "vintage"???
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
Does anyone here know if JR310, Futaba R603FF, Airtronics 92324, Spectrum SR3100,Hitec Synth,or Novak XXTRA receivers will have a problem with the 7to8-ish volts that will come from a 7.4V LiPo pack?
+1 I would like to know that also. I'm using a JR310 with JR servos.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
That's true...but some receivers can't handle 7.4+ volts. Some receivers have a built in BEC, but others don't. I'm more worried about cooking my receiver than my Hitec servos.

I just asked the question in a thread below about the Airtronics 92324. The owner's guide specifically states that you should not go over 6V because the receiver doesn't have a BEC and high voltages will burn it out - I have a voltage regulator that puts out 6.2V so I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry anything. It's probably receiver-dependent -- just make sure that any receiver you have has a BEC that can handle the voltage you want to dump in if you aren't using a regulator.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper7vspec View Post
Hey guys,

Looking for some help.Today i ran my lipo and regulator for the first time, the lipo is a vxr 2300 and the regulator is also a vxr.In my first race it was all good til about the 4 minute mark then my car had a runaway.

Came back to the pits and there is no response, then i dissconnected and reconnected the battery and it was all fine.

Now the battery was fully charged

The lipo regulator is INSIDE the radio box

I do not run a switch

I run spektrum pro reciever and a module in my JR Z-1

hopefully thats all the info needed for someone to tell what i am doing wrong.I have a few ideas about what happened, namely the regulator over heating but im not 100% positive

Thanks guys.
Sounds like your just a nOOb to me should think about getting into electric with lewis sounds to me nitro is to complicated for u Andrew

LOL
JK
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote