R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
mike williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NO. ILL
Posts: 777
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default im in the market for a new .21 engine..need advice:)

looking for opinions about motors, like tunability, gas milage, and dependability..all opinions welcome
__________________
LOSI MF2 ....... too fast for me!!!!!!!!
mike williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,781
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Well, everyone is going to have their own opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me but here are my preferences.

1. Anything made by Novarossi, especially RB's. S3 or S5 for budget, C6 or WS7 for power.

2. We have a three way tie for second so I will list them alphabetically.

2a, OS. Stick with V-specs or Speeds. Easy to tune, easy to get, not quite as durable as Nova's but not far off.

2b, Picco. Very underrated motors. Sometimes tuning can be a bit tricky for the novice but not bad.

2c, Sirio based motors such as Extech and others. Good mileage, good top end. I hear the carbs are better but they used to be junk. Fortunately Nova and OS carbs fit if you have a problem.

Everything else I won't even think about. There are some other good motors out there I'm sure but the ones I listed are the ones I know and trust. GRP seems to be improving so I might look into them sometime in the future but I still have visions of blown up Ninjas.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com

Last edited by wingracer; 08-23-2008 at 09:28 AM.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
bsmooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rocklin, California
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Novarossi is still the gold standard for power and durability, and the pricing reflects that.

Could anyone tell me if any of the Star-Motor (Werks, and Sirio based motors), come in an AAC design for off-road?

Last, any thoughts on why the off road engines almost all have composite carbs, vs. aluminum carbs like their on-road siblings?

-Steve
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: south florida
Posts: 7,704
Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)
Default

my biggest advice would be to stay away from the go-tech engines and any other off brand, the os speeds and vspecs are good they have good low and high power, and fuel economy, very easy to tune, because they are basically a 3 port engine, the novarossi and rb engines are good, the c6 gets great economy if tuned properly, if you are racing on a small track i would get a 3 port they have plenty of power and are easy to tune, only downside is the fuel economy isnt as great as a 5 or 7 port
cjm1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
jpalessi's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi
Default

Trinity Ex Tech! The engines come broken in ready to run, great run time , easy to tune, and tons of power..

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...tech-21-a.html
__________________
Joe Alessi
www.Lucky7RC.com
jpalessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 1,345
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

I have a go 7 port .21, I know the guy above stated to stay away from them Why just because they don't cost 400.00. Mine is easy to tune and will walk all over a V-Spec down the straights.
Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syd, Australia
Posts: 151
Default

Stay away from OS engines unless your willing to do a complete seal job on the engine, they leak from every orifice possible and you will be lucky to get a gallon out of the junk bearings. To compare, the bearings in my old ofna P.O.S macstar .28 were still going strong and sealed after 8 gallons of noob abuse, thats how bad the OS ones are.

They run well but the fit and finish of the v-specs is absolutely terrible.
Jonro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Tech Addict
 
moeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 526
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I have mixed feelings about the GO's. When on their game they simply stomp. I had many tuning issues and ruined one Go21 5pt because they tune so different. If I hadn't found this forum I wouldn't have known the how/why's. Would I buy another??? I don't think so.

Last edited by moeman; 08-23-2008 at 10:15 AM.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 95
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Well, everyone is going to have their own opinion and I'm sure many will disagree with me but here are my preferences.

1. Anything made by Novarossi, especially RB's. S3 or S5 for budget, C6 or WS7 for power.

2. We have a three way tie for second so I will list them alphabetically.

2a, OS. Stick with V-specs or Speeds. Easy to tune, easy to get, not quite as durable as Nova's but not far off.

2b, Picco. Very underrated motors. Sometimes tuning can be a bit tricky for the novice but not bad.

2c, Sirio based motors such as Extech and others. Good mileage, good top end. I hear the carbs are better but they used to be junk. Fortunately Nova and OS carbs fit if you have a problem.

Everything else I won't even think about. There are some other good motors out there I'm sure but the ones I listed are the ones I know and trust. GRP seems to be improving so I might look into them sometime in the future but I still have visions of blown up Ninjas.
If you guys can, we should help find a good deal on the motors your recommending. Remember to post links on specs and sales for your favorite lines.
Here is a killer deal on some of the above mentioned race motors:
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...1585242210.htm

Inside_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,108
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

get a rb and be happy
__________________
K.C. Guy. Team Xray - rc america
tony montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post
Stay away from OS engines unless your willing to do a complete seal job on the engine, they leak from every orifice possible and you will be lucky to get a gallon out of the junk bearings. To compare, the bearings in my old ofna P.O.S macstar .28 were still going strong and sealed after 8 gallons of noob abuse, thats how bad the OS ones are.

They run well but the fit and finish of the v-specs is absolutely terrible.
I totally agree with jonro. Os sucks! and they will not warantee anything, even if the engine is defective, and the customer service is terrible! I swapped out my vspecs for the Picco/Jammin .21 7 ports. They are cheep ($220) Easy to tune, reliable, last forever, and make a ton of power. My buggy, and my truggy are both as fast as anything on the track, including Nova's & sirios that cost twice as much
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Many engines are good...no denying that these days.... but my vote goes to the JPX/Picco lineup of engines.... extremely fast, powerful, durable and very affordable.....I have modified and sold many dozens of Picco/JPX engines and every single one is still running today....
__________________
http://www.thenitroshop.com/
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Many engines are good...no denying that these days.... but my vote goes to the JPX/Picco lineup of engines.... extremely fast, powerful, durable and very affordable.....I have modified and sold many dozens of Picco/JPX engines and every single one is still running today....

What kind of mods are you finding necessary? I just seal mine up good and they rock! Am I missing something? are you porting them?
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
Maximo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,900
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
What kind of mods are you finding necessary? I just seal mine up good and they rock! Am I missing something? are you porting them?
Yes I port them !! Alter port shape timing and all the other good stuff.... Makes for a stronger motor with a broader powerband and a easier to find tuning window... even with rich settings the modded motors will still run strong and idle well.... And of course with a good tune they howl !
__________________
http://www.thenitroshop.com/
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Yes I port them !! Alter port shape timing and all the other good stuff.... Makes for a stronger motor with a broader powerband and a easier to find tuning window... even with rich settings the modded motors will still run strong and idle well.... And of course with a good tune they howl !
OK! OK ! you don't have to yell!! PM sent
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice on choosing engine badaml Nitro Off-Road 12 10-03-2007 01:06 PM
(WTA)3PKS PCM RX brand new market price in market now. sangyi41 Malaysian R/C Racers 0 03-20-2007 11:13 AM
engine advice... brokeneck Electric Off-Road 9 10-03-2005 02:19 PM
RB X12 engine..... need advice ralliartlanevov Nitro On-Road 45 04-27-2005 05:47 PM
Need advice on a new engine. JJ IROC Nitro On-Road 6 04-17-2003 12:44 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:44 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net