R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

this may sound crazy, but I found my vspec to be one of the hardest engines to tune. Im not knocking the engine had good power but longevity was the issue with it for me. I only got like a gallon and a half out of mine before compression was gone and it would flame out often after 5 minutes. I would like to try a speed but they are to much money. I love my rb s7 l2g. I only paid 260.00 for it new and I dont need anymore power. At the track yesterday people were noticing how fast my car was and who modded my engine, when I said it was stock they didnt believe me
Old 08-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
What is wrong with you guys every one knows this motor the JPX.21 with a JP2 pipe and with the O.S. P3 turbo plug is the ticket.
http://www.jamminproducts.com/engine.html

amen,
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #33
Tech Regular

The best engines I have ever owned are Novarossi's . A 421B and a CLB4N.
Both are very smooth and very powerfull ! And both have over 20 gallons on each ! With the 421 just re-sleeved at the 26 gallon mark.And still on the factory bearings! The CLB is around the 21 gallon mark and just had it's first pinch,and this engine is ALL ORIGINAL !! No rod,or bearings only glowplugs!
BUT they both don't run much longer than 7 minutes a tank
I have seen the true side of the Ex-Tech finaly and I will say that they RIP ! and get KILLER mileage!
OS's if tuned hot just don't last and need constant attension. I'm sure this will start an argument for sure ,but this is what I have seen from them and expierenced personally.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #34
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
What is wrong with you guys every one knows this motor the JPX.21 with a JP2 pipe and with the O.S. P3 turbo plug is the ticket.
http://www.jamminproducts.com/engine.html

this isn't meant to discredit anyone here, or start any arguments or anything like that...but I have extensive experience with these JPX/Picco 21's and 086 is a much better pipe on that motor...more power and much better run time....as well Picco plugs fit the button much better then OS plug's do..... a med/cold Picco plug, .20 mm total shims, 086 pipe will produce the most power over the broadest RPM range with the JPX 21.........the JP pipes don't do this motor justice when it comes to mileage and RPM range...Before anyone argues please try my setup, as i have already tried yours !
Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #35
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
this isn't meant to discredit anyone here, or start any arguments or anything like that...but I have extensive experience with these JPX/Picco 21's and 086 is a much better pipe on that motor...more power and much better run time....as well Picco plugs fit the button much better then OS plug's do..... a med/cold Picco plug, .20 mm total shims, 086 pipe will produce the most power over the broadest RPM range with the JPX 21.........the JP pipes don't do this motor justice when it comes to mileage and RPM range...Before anyone argues please try my setup, as i have already tried yours !
I'm not arguing with that.

What do you think will be the best legal pipe for next year?
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #36
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Maximo is Rctech leading expert on the Jammin/Picco's, and on Ofna's message boards it's Stifler. Anyone looking for advice, and/or tips on these engines, now you know who to talk to
Old 08-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Send a message via MSN to MBR52 Send a message via Yahoo to MBR52

Get a Sirio CL7B, they have heaps of power, and they are only $299.00 for the sti tuned version.
Mugen MST-1 powered by Novarossi
Associated B44 powered by Novak
MBR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #38
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Noted. Thanks for the tip any thing is worth a try.
I will say the range is weird with the JP2. It has a weird scream to it. But the run time is awesome.
Is this it? Man thats a flipping bargain.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/2111
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I'm not arguing with that.

What do you think will be the best legal pipe for next year?
My money is on the Nova pipe... we tested it at the track before they arrived in the UK and man.... we ran it on a 11 minute Nova engine, it changed the tune straight of to run waaaaaay to rich. By the time we had richened up the top end over half turn and got a race tune on it we had a 14 minute minute engine in practice conditions... and a very fast one at that.

I am having a quandry on engines at the moment... i have run RB for last two engines and they have been superb for all the reasons given here. However i want better fuel consumption. I will pick up a C6 at a later date and want to break in another engine in the meantime that will become a small track/backup engine. I like the idea of the OS but i am bugged out by the reports on quality... saying that every one i have seen has been sweet.
I have a friend running the GRP which i ruled out because of the hype until i saw it running and people had some gallons and i am seriously impressed by it powerband and mileage is awesome and tuning is sweet and easy. Then there is the Jammin which rules with bang for your buck, the ones i have seen close up running have howled!

Engines are tough decision, although having at least one RB is an easy one to make.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This is my first full year of racing in both buggy and truggy. I started off the year with 2 V-Specs. Mine ran best with the OS 2050 pipe. The JP pipes I tried were terrible for run time compared to the 2050. I damaged the first V-Spec being an idiot with a screwdriver and scored the piston a bit. It still ran fine in my buggy and was still making halfway decent power. The second V-Spec was in my truck and always gives me fits when the weather cools down. Runs fine in the hot air, but has a hanging idle when the air gets good. I tried everything try to get rid of with tuning and it still does it. I'm thinking there is a slight air leak somewhere. I have had a few guys look at it and nobody seems to be able to correct it when it happens no matter what way you go with needles and idle screw. The one V-Spec always ran great (of course the one I damaged) and the other always gives me some issues when the temps or humidity drops. I know how to adjust for better air, but I can't get it right on this one.
I bought a Novarossi P5XS recently with the Nova 9886 pipe and put that in my truggy. I was kind of disappointed with the top end power when I first started racing it after I broke it in. It had very little top end with the temps fairly close. It ran great and held the tune, but I felt it was lacking in power. Then I raced it again this weekend and the motor came alive after I had a glow plug issue. It has a little over a gallon on it now and it's stronger than the V-spec I was running. The V-Specs seem to lose their pinch pretty quickly, but also still run fine like that. I'm hoping to get more durability out of the Novarossi's and the price is the same as the V-Spec. My 2 cents.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote