Wiki Posts
Search

losi 8 vs. RC8..winner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjm1126
im not switching losi, i had over 10 tanks replaced by the factory on my rc8 all of them with internal air leaks, i never broke a tank, they would just start leaking after a few tanks on the track, basically would start leaning the engine out during the race, wasnt to good for the engine, factory kept replacing the tanks but didnt offer any compensation for the engines that were taken out by the tanks, im gonna switch to one of the traditional 1/8th scale brands like mugen or kyosho

MP9 vewwwwwy soon young gwass hoppahhhhh
Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For me Losi's fuel tanks have been superior since they have clunk like a rc airplane, the leakage issue with the lids is when people pull the lid way too far and bend the spring. The clunk just has to be checked out periodically and make sure it's at the back of the tank. Other than that, Losi's tanks are the best since I don't get a darn flameout whenever a lazy turn marshall takes they're time getting to my buggy/truggy.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cjm1126
the losi is good if you are adam drake or mike truhe, the rc8 is the best handling car i have driven, but have had alot of issues with fuel tanks, havent had any durability issues other then the fuel tank, rc8 will be a easier and more consistant car for the average driver, but the fuel tank issue is the reason i am switching brands

thats because you have the smoked color fuel tank there is major issues with that you have to get the clear one its newer and perfect!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i had 4 white one fail also, they had a bad batch of white tanks in the beginning of those also, as far as arms and other things i never broke one on that car, i started running an xray tank in my car and the issue went away, but after the trouble i had, and the way there customer service treated me i wont be running there products anymore
Old 08-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Hey guys,
Im new to off-road i have been racing nitro and elec touring for about five years and i want to get into off road. i have considered getting a kit but after much thought decided to get a RTR because it is cheaper. The only thing is i am stuck between the losi 8ight and the RC8. They are at the same price and i was leaning towards the RC8 because im an associated type guy but the losi 8ight seems more race ready and doesn't seem like i would have to do much to get it to be just as great as the kit. What are your guy's opinions and please don't give me any band wagon stuff if you think your kit isn't as good as the other kit fess up to it.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Champion

my advice would be not to get a rtr in either brand, you are much better off picking up a nice used chassis, and get a new motor that is more reliable then the ones that come in the kits, if you wanna keep the price down get a rb s3, or werks b3 pro they are fast engines that are well made for under 200, and get a decent radio and servos, everyone has been down the road of rtr cars, you will basically change everything on the car to make it a team edition, you will change the servos because they wont be strong enough, and then the motor you will changed just because the rtr engines are hard to tune and dont last very long, by the time you are done you will have invested more money into the rtr and could have had a team kit with good running gear for less, you definatly wanna get a reliable and easy to tune engine, and good servos, if you start racing the servos that come in the rtr will not turn the car strong enough to be fast, you will just start upgrading it till u get fed up and buy a full factory team kit and start over
Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Ok i can do that but now the question is do i want to get the RC8 or the 8ight? also i ahve been told that i would be better off with a truggy. Something about they are easier to drive and the guy said they were more nimble on the track (whatever that means).. is he right??
Old 08-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good advice above for sure... RTR tends to be false economy. Bending shock towers is usually the first thing if the servos don't fail. Spent a lot of time in a hobby store and at the track watching that one... good advice to go with a good used chassis

If you have to do it, Losi comes with Spektrum as standard but it looks like the AE comes with better servos.

Truggy is easier to drive, goes through the bumps better, doesn't hang on pipes etc... you need more finesse to stay on a track with a buggy.

HOWEVER for first time... i notice people start in Truggy find it hard to adjust to buggy as a very general rule. Transition from Buggy to Truggy is easier.

If you are looking to race and have a competitive streak, start with buggy. If it will be just a weekend fun thing, go with the one you think looks cooler

If you go for the 8ight, read the thread on here and take heed on the radio tray issues if nothing else - they can burn servos. If you go for the RC8 make sure you instal the service pack and new tank STRAIGHT away, they will either come with the car or you can get them free direct from AE.

Either will give you a lot of satisfation and are fast straight out of the box. Personally i go with AE as i like the customer service, team support and the cool wing

That's not to say Losi backup is not equal, i have seen some very cool stuff going on both here and the UK.... all the Losi drivers i know will say the same thing. Apart from the wing.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

truggies are fun, but buggies are usually more competitive at tracks, at the track i race at we have around 60 guys show up for buggy and around 20-25 for truggy, there is more maintenance to the truggy also, the arms and stuff wear out faster, and the tires are more expensive, between the losi 8ight and the rc8 i would chose the rc8, i have raced both, the losi is harder to drive hard will take you from hero to zero pretty fast, the rc8 is alot more stable, and easier to drive hard, i am getting away from it because of fuel tank issues, i have had over 10 replaced from the factory since i have owned it, if you want a good reliable car that you can pick up for a good deal right now used you might wanna look at the mugen mbx5r they are high quality, stable, very durable, i have been seeing the rollers sell for around 250, they have a new model coming out soon so it has brought the price down on the used side, if you are choosing strictly between rc8 and 8ight i would choose rc8, just make sure you keep an eye on the fuel tank, and if the motor starts acting up and you see bubbles consistantly change the tank out, i havent broke a thing on the rc8 other then the fuel tanks gettin an internal leak, and the losi 8ight i never broke a thing on either, the losi seems to get sloppy a little faster then the rc8
Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

HaHa well i race onroad and finesse is a no brainer to me and i am going to be competitive and i think the buggy's are the coolest things ever so BUGGY IT IS!!!! but do i want the 8ight or RC8??? is that another thing up to me. BTW thanks for the help guys i am so lost and have no idea about off road at all
Old 08-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by beta bob
HaHa well i race onroad and finesse is a no brainer to me and i am going to be competitive and i think the buggy's are the coolest things ever so BUGGY IT IS!!!! but do i want the 8ight or RC8??? is that another thing up to me. BTW thanks for the help guys i am so lost and have no idea about off road at all
Both cars have ups and downs. The rc8 tends to be easier to drive fast but the Eight will reward a good driver with faster lap times. There are ways to detune the eight to make it easier to drive but lap times seem to suffer a bit. My personal choice is a Eight cause I'm Losi all the way. Just what ever you decide stick with it for a while cause its gonna be a learning experience.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

I am getting a losi... I am making a trade with a guy right now
Old 08-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by beta bob
I am getting a losi... I am making a trade with a guy right now
welcome to the family
Old 08-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Jammin X1 is very hard to beat for durability and ease of driving. I drove one last year without one broken part. I made the switch to an RC8 last fall for several different reasons. When racing season came around I made three laps before the first problem occured. A light roll over and my first of 4 broken top plates. I entered 5 race days with that car and it only finished one seven minute qualifier. I found it to be brittle in many areas, breaking different parts.
I bought the Losi 8ight's two months ago and am loving the cars. Very strong and easy to setup and tune the chassis. I have been in the top three with both in the last 6 races I've entered. Like many have said, it's a personal choice, but I would look at Jammin and Losi.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Ok guys im trying not to hijack this thread but it seems like the most respondent. I have a servo that was in my mugen(car) that i used for throttle and it has 75 ounces of torque and was wondering if that would be ok for the throttle in a buggy? also how much torque would i need for the steering which servo's would be good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.