R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Vintage Nitro Hawk, restored!

Someone had posted some pics of an ultra-clean, original Traxxas Nitro Hawk that they had purchased on ebay here a few months ago. Well, I finally got through disassembling and cleaning up my old Nitro Hawk and figured I would post a couple of pictures on here too.

I don't have anywhere around here (that I know of) to anodize parts, so I simply got some flat-black high-temp engine spray (that they sell at Auto Parts stores) and sprayed the chassis, as it was pretty scuffed up and spotted from the nitro fuel. I also replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines, and air filter.

I completely disassembled the entire car, cleaning and rebuilding the transmission, diff, bearings, suspension, and shocks as I went. The only real damage I found was some bent hingepins, but they luckily still sell them for some other Traxxas vehicles. I only wish I could convert all the hardware over to hex-head, as some of the screws are starting to strip on top. If I get ambitious someday I will hunt down all the fasteners and convert bit-by-bit.

The servos that originally came with the car were shot, so I replaced those with new, Traxxas high-torque versions that should provide plenty of power. I also added a new Traxxas Nitro Sport body with some custom Air Force decals I had made from a member here on RCTech. A simple paint job (with my less than stellar skills), and the car is just about ready to go!

I am waiting for Tropical Storm Fay to pass so I can go and get some crystals for the AM receiver I am going to install, but other than that I am good to go. My only wish is that they hadn't made the plastic parts white originally - I am going to have to see if I can dye them black sometime so they don't look so dingy!

I am by no means a pro at this, but it turned out ok and gave new life to a fun basher and one of the first nitro RTRs to come out back in the day

Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Tech Addict

if you want to clean up you white plastic soak it in napisan I don't know if thats the name of it in the states, heres a link to the product

http://www.vanishstains.co.nz/ -the in wash soaker

I used to own a traxxas blue eagle LS which is basically the electric version of your truck and that is what I used and it always brought the plastic up like new

Adrian

offroaders get more jumps and like it rougher!
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Thanks for the tip...I'll have to see if I can track down what the US equivalent is and give it a whirl next time I blow apart the truck!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to petevette

Looks nice, you did a great job on it.
petevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Infiniti Tech Send a message via Yahoo to Infiniti Tech

HA HA!! I had one of those!! My first nitro rig!!! Bought a MIP stinger rear exhaust, my buddy let the reciever batteries get low and it got ran over in a parking lot..

The only thing I broke on it was the gas tank.. I went through a few of them. They would break off of the chassis if you hit anything real hard. I drilled 2 more holes in the chassis and zip tied a small airplane fuel tank in.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Momo5

Nice looking Hawk Pauly..its good to see another one of these around. I've got a Nitro Hawk in the for sale section...but heres the one I'be been working on the past few months...its pretty much done now..

Momo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Tech Addict

What engine is that in there?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly6401 View Post
What engine is that in there?
Its a new Traxxas Pro .15
Old 09-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo5 View Post
Its a new Traxxas Pro .15
Did it drop right into the Nitro Hawk motor mounts?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Heres the thing...if you can find the Pro .15 with the long crank , you can just drop it in and go. I couldnt find the Pro .15 w/ long crank..so I bought the short crank version...then found the actual long crank on ebay and swapped them out in the engine.

Its kind of a bummer the old school way its designed because it really limits you on choice of engine.

Last edited by Momo5; 09-09-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
Tech Addict

I'm scoping some .15's out for when my original TRX .12 bites the dust. I finally had time to get the car out this afternoon and run a tank or two of gas through it. Once the engine got up to temp and I leaned it back out it ran great. I had originally taken the whole engine apart to clean it and reassembled it, so when I did that I set it back to the factory settings even though it had already been broken in. It's taken a little bit to find the tune again since it was set to be broken in - a little rich!

I'd forgotten how much fun nitro can be. Now I just need to get the last few parts for the XB8 EC I rebuilt....that's gonna rip!

Momo- what kind of pipe is on that engine of yours? And do you have an upgraded rear shock tower? Mine doesn't look like it has the clearance to have a pipe pass through it like that, and I have the receiver pack with the switch that mounts through the tower.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

This thread brings back some good memories when I had a Nitro hawk . Nice job guys !
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly6401 View Post
Momo- what kind of pipe is on that engine of yours? And do you have an upgraded rear shock tower? Mine doesn't look like it has the clearance to have a pipe pass through it like that, and I have the receiver pack with the switch that mounts through the tower.

Thats a MIP Stinger pipe. It was pretty popular for the Nitro Hawk and RC10GT back in the day. It came with the shock tower that you see on mine. If you look closely you'll see that it attaches to the rear bulhead differently. Its much more sold and doesnt flex like where the stock shocktower sits.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo5 View Post
Thats a MIP Stinger pipe. It was pretty popular for the Nitro Hawk and RC10GT back in the day. It came with the shock tower that you see on mine. If you look closely you'll see that it attaches to the rear bulhead differently. Its much more sold and doesnt flex like where the stock shocktower sits.
I'm gonna have to see if I can dig up one of those. I found one on ebay for the RC10GT, no Nitro Hawk. This thread is bringing up all the old memories of R/C for me...here's a picture of my first RC car ever (not the actual one of course)...

Vintage Nitro Hawk, restored!-imgp3688x320.jpg

Vintage Nitro Hawk, restored!-outlawnib1.jpg

Vintage Nitro Hawk, restored!-outlawnib8.jpg

I saved up forever to buy this thing and bashed it, raced it, and abused it. Those were back in the days when the Tower Hobbies combo was everything and there was no internet, and you hoped your 1200 mAh batteries would last...

And check this out....$450 for a NIB model!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-1-10-OUTL...3286.m20.l1116

Ok enough electric talk...back to Nitro Hawks!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Oh man, I remember when I was really young and I wanted the Outlaw Ultima soooooo bad. I just thought it was the coolest looking truck at the time. I've honestly thought about getting a Outlaw Rampage which was the nitro version of that truck. I still might...and restore it all to new condition. It depends on how hard it would be to find that original body...I'd have to have that