Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New Losi 1:8 buggy next year?? word is yes.. >

New Losi 1:8 buggy next year?? word is yes..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Losi 1:8 buggy next year?? word is yes..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Edumakated;4763849]Most places let the electric conversions run with the nitros if there aren't enough conversions for a seperate class. All we do is take a simulated pit stop. I did a 30 minute A-Main with a battery swap. Time it took is about the same as coming in for several pit stops.

This can was opened so here is my observation running the brushless 1/8 with nitro..
Basically you take the whole tunning aspect out of the equasion, which is part of Nitro..once you get your gearing rite in electric, your done, nitro, your tunning your car to get the motor rite, or tunning the clutch for punch and feel, electric you dont do any of that.. I dont feel its a fair shake to run them both together. Anyone that ran electric knows you dont have any lag in power, from bottum to top.. On the club seen, i think its fine, but any races above that i thinks its a unfair advantage over the nitro guy..
Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

[QUOTE=jabroni racing;4763956]
Originally Posted by Edumakated
Most places let the electric conversions run with the nitros if there aren't enough conversions for a seperate class. All we do is take a simulated pit stop. I did a 30 minute A-Main with a battery swap. Time it took is about the same as coming in for several pit stops.

This can was opened so here is my observation running the brushless 1/8 with nitro..
Basically you take the whole tunning aspect out of the equasion, which is part of Nitro..once you get your gearing rite in electric, your done, nitro, your tunning your car to get the motor rite, or tunning the clutch for punch and feel, electric you dont do any of that.. I dont feel its a fair shake to run them both together. Anyone that ran electric knows you dont have any lag in power, from bottum to top.. On the club seen, i think its fine, but any races above that i thinks its a unfair advantage over the nitro guy..
I can't argue with that. However, I find it funny many (not saying you personally) nitro guys will call us Flashlights, Slot Cars, Toys, UNTIL we race with them and then they whine about the advantage.

In my experience, the advantage is not that great enough to eclipse overall driving skills. One of the problems electrics have is CONTROLLING the massive torque. It causes you to spin out easily or over jump. It requires a lot more finesse and an entirely different driving style. I would be curious if pro drivers can turn faster laps with an electric though. My skills aren't good enough to really take advantage of it.

I guess tuning can be considered part of a nitro race, but many of us just want to drive. Flameouts and the like are just the car breaking in IMHO. I want to race, not wrench on the car. Although, electrics do have issues such as thermaling and motors over heating (I had a $250 Neu motor go up in smoke last weekend 30 seconds from the end of a main while I was in second).

Most of us "tune" our cars to run with nitros, not beat them. All that power and speed is useless if you can't control the car. In most cases, my top end is no faster than the nitros, but I do accelerate much faster.

I look forward to having an all electric class though. it is fun racing with nitros, but it can be difficult because you can't hear the car, so it is hard to gauge the RPMs of the motor and how the car is running. I turn much faster laps with all electrics for this reason. With nitros, it is kind of like playing a video game with the sound off.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Basically you take the whole tunning aspect out of the equasion, which is part of Nitro..once you get your gearing rite in electric, your done, nitro, your tunning your car to get the motor rite, or tunning the clutch for punch and feel, electric you dont do any of that.. I dont feel its a fair shake to run them both together. Anyone that ran electric knows you dont have any lag in power, from bottum to top.. On the club seen, i think its fine, but any races above that i thinks its a unfair advantage over the nitro guy..[/QUOTE]

+1
Old 08-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (89%+)

Originally Posted by mr. losi

+1[/QUOTE]

+1 exactly rite. couldnt explain it better myself
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Talking

hey Edumakated , i ran and still run electric for years and Love it, so im experiencd enuff to know just how well brushless motors run, and how Easy it is to turn down the throttle on the radio to help control throttle.. SO, i dont bite on the over power issue.. But i will say this.. once there is a actual class, im sure i will have one of those to..
Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Edumakated
By the way, these "slot cars" will destroy a nitro in a straight line race at half throttle. I don't care how modded your engine is or what displacement. It ain't even close. Twice the acceleration and can clear jumps nitros can only dream about.

Don't knock it till you try it. It is the wave of the future and I am glad Losi is stepping up to the plate.
Yeah so thats real fair racing!!!
Don't get me started on this,
My local track is now running them together as well and Its ridiculous and frustrating that I have to so call race against somebody who has eliminated a percentage of the preparation it takes to race or is just to lazy or incapable of tuning their motor to avoid flame outs or feels a 2 dollar increase in a gallon of fuel is unacceptable. I feel its a unfair advantage especially when the track doesn't make them pit. Some of us take a little pride in preparation and tunning and you say don't knock it till you try it? Why try it if what we have now is working just fine for us, Just because its supposedly The wave of the future? No thanks! Make a class for people who like to "Take the Easy way route" and go race yourselves.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 08-25-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

several guys here run with us using brushless
in regonial races
they make TQ , and win all 15 mins finals
just can't match them.....
and they even haven't got to the end, set-up wise

but I hate electric buggys
sometimes I go watch a 1/10 championship
and I have just have to leave after 30 minutes or so
so boring....sziiing slaaacchs sziinnggg.....

Last edited by speedy2; 08-25-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
Yeah so thats real fair racing!!!
Don't get me started on this,
My local track is now running them together as well and Its ridiculous and frustrating that I have to so call race against somebody who has eliminated a percentage of the preparation it takes to race or is just to lazy or incapable of tuning their motor to avoid flame outs or feels a 2 dollar increase in a gallon of fuel is unacceptable. I feel its a unfair advantage especially when the track doesn't make them pit. Some of us take a little pride in preparation and tunning and you say don't knock it till you try it? Why try it if what we have now is working just fine for us, Just because its supposedly The wave of the future? No thanks! Make a class for people who like to "Take the Easy way route" and go race yourselves.

Yes, it is where things are headed. You can embrace new technology or you can let it pass you by... literally.

Nitro is cool. I love the sound of it at a track sometimes. Does add a level of soul to the cars that can't be matched by electric. However, I prefer superior performance and reliability over a cool noise any day.

I rather drive my car than tune a fickle engine. I am sure there is some level of satisfaction that comes from turning the needles, but I rather spend more time on the track.

Now that Losi is coming out with a conversion, I am sure there will be exponentially more people to convert and we will have our own class. Right now, it is kind of hard for people who aren't familiar with electric terminology to know how to put together a proper setup. The losi kit will make it plug and play for those who don't have the patience to learn.

Like I said, don't knock it till you try it. All it takes is to drive one and you will know what the fuss is all about...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

wonder
can they drive when the track is wet ??
Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by speedy2
wonder
can they drive when the track is wet ??
A little mud isn't a problem. As long as the car isn't submerged in water, it is usually ok.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

The new RC Car Action has an article on the Worlds. It states that Mike Truhe WILL be running a new car. I don't think it's going to be an entirely new car but I would be looking for a new front end and captured drive axles like the 808. I think it will be mostly "running production" changes.
I guess we'll see in a couple of months.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cdbias
The new RC Car Action has an article on the Worlds. It states that Mike Truhe WILL be running a new car. I don't think it's going to be an entirely new car but I would be looking for a new front end and captured drive axles like the 808. I think it will be mostly "running production" changes.
I guess we'll see in a couple of months.
The plot thickens. hehe.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

New front end? What is wrong with the current front end?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by air8
New front end? What is wrong with the current front end?

SLOP!

And poor ON-power steering
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
SLOP!

And poor ON-power steering
Really? I keep hearing about the slop thing, but after a season of racing, I've yet to experience this.

As far as "poor on power steering" - can't comment there either. I can turn on a dime. On or off power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.