R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default V-Spec front bearing issues

Ok the V spec running in my 8ight has hit the 2 gallon mark and its leaking from the front bearing. Its had a major leak coming from the tank lid but has been running, ive since bought a new tank ready to stick in. Also bought a new clutch set-up and after pulling the flywheel i checked the front bearing with a little soapy water and blowing in the engine and its definately leaking. The actual bearing rolls pretty smooth it just leaks. Im also going to seal the whole engine.

Is it ok to run like this? It does leak some fuel but not heaps and there's is definately an air leak, should i replace the bearing and be done with it?
Jonro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Send a message via MSN to MBR52 Send a message via Yahoo to MBR52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post
Ok the V spec running in my 8ight has hit the 2 gallon mark and its leaking from the front bearing. Its had a major leak coming from the tank lid but has been running, ive since bought a new tank ready to stick in. Also bought a new clutch set-up and after pulling the flywheel i checked the front bearing with a little soapy water and blowing in the engine and its definately leaking. The actual bearing rolls pretty smooth it just leaks. Im also going to seal the whole engine.

Is it ok to run like this? It does leak some fuel but not heaps and there's is definately an air leak, should i replace the bearing and be done with it?
Yeah, replace the front bearing because the engine may start to suck air through the front bearing, if it isn't already, and then you will start to have tuning difficulties. Just get a bearing puller and take out the old one and fit a new one. Good luck
Mugen MST-1 powered by Novarossi
Associated B44 powered by Novak
MBR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
Tech Adept

oK cheers for the advice, i think im just going to go ahead and replace both bearings with TKO's. Do i really need to spend $50+ on a puller? once i remove the crank and all the over stuff what's the best way to remove the bearings without a puller? Chuck it in the oven then tap them out with a screwdriver with a rag over it?

?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

www.rbproducts.com will tell you how to remove and install bearings in a motor without special tool.
katjim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjim00 View Post
www.rbproducts.com will tell you how to remove and install bearings in a motor without special tool.
Thanks and Wow that is an awesome guide they have on there, for anyone else here is the direct link: http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...ncept%20engine
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No problem
katjim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post

Instead of replacing your tank. Take 4 rubberbands the small ones your wife or GF uses in her hair rap them around the tank and the lid. They will create the added pressure to get a good seal. Yes, they are fuel proof. No, they wont make your tank difficult to open. It's a cheap easy fix even if you install the new tank it's a good thing to do. They also make great throttle return springs.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

+1 this is great advice. Wasn't there also an oven method as well?
PhillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery View Post
Instead of replacing your tank. Take 4 rubberbands the small ones your wife or GF uses in her hair rap them around the tank and the lid. They will create the added pressure to get a good seal. Yes, they are fuel proof. No, they wont make your tank difficult to open. It's a cheap easy fix even if you install the new tank it's a good thing to do. They also make great throttle return springs.
Yea tried that trick lol, put about six of the damn things on there, nearly to the point of the lid not opening and it still dident pass the underwater test, the lid or rubber seal is simply warped somewhere. It was probably me being to rough with the lid when refuelling with the car running. The new tank passes the underwater test but im going to be more gentle and also add the rubber bands for extra insurance.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

I don't think the rubber bands should be necessary. The tank should lock down pretty tight on its own.

If you have problems with leakage around the lid you might be able to get a new o-ring and a new tank spring, depending on who makes your tank. I have had the o-ring go bad before, but its usually after a long time of sitting, like over the winter. I have also broken at least 3 tank springs. If it was me I would check into the parts, maybe to fix the old tank and have a replacement available in case you break one.
PhillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Easier just to get a new tank as once the spring and the seal goes and it warps...
Gazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Where is the best place to get bearings for the V-spec?
RONNIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

i had a leaky front bearing on my speed and even though i didnt have tunning problems i changed it to a TKO ceramic one i got it from amain now themotor is the best ever i can not express how good this motor is i am just in love with it that how good it runs . here is the link for anyone thats interested

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6250
Old 08-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Wow, this is bad news since i'm going into my 2nd gallon. Are all of these bearings defective on the 1st gen vspec?
m3cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngo8 View Post
i had a leaky front bearing on my speed and even though i didnt have tunning problems i changed it to a TKO ceramic one i got it from amain now themotor is the best ever i can not express how good this motor is i am just in love with it that how good it runs . here is the link for anyone thats interested

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/6250
Has the TKO leaked at all since changing?

Well im going to put TKO's in mine and also in the clutch(8ight) as well just or shits and giggles, hopefully my engine will improve. Ive sealed the whole engine, and added a new tank, everything is absolutely airtight except for that front bearing, you can even hear a slight whistle when it runs. But im confused with the way it tunes.

If i reset the needles back to stock settings its runs incredibly rich to the point of drowning the engine and stalling, the only way it will run is if its set very lean with the HSN about 1 turn out and the LSN about the same from closed, i thought it was the other way around when you have an air leak? It actually runs really well but its not blowing much smoke and its running too lean for my liking so im not going to run it till i replace the bearing.

Ive been weighing up spending the money on the bearings or just buying a new Go 7 port.

To m3cosmos

I don't think they have fixed the bearing on any gen of the V-specs, Ive been doing a little searching around and ive come across an incredible amount of people complaining about V-spec bearings. They just flat out suck.

Last edited by Jonro; 08-21-2008 at 08:39 PM.