R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #31
Tech Adept

Just to give an idea where i sealed my V-spec here are some mockups as i dont have a camera to use atm.

It is a messy job but it works and the engine is airtight except for that front bearing. I thought you had to tune engines richer in the case of an air leak but mine is the exact opposite, i tune the HSN first, that tunes normal and ok, i tune it till it clears out on the high RPMs. Now when it comes to the LSN the engine will only run with it nearly completely closed, if its open too much it will rich bog and left to sit for more that 10 seconds it will have almost no throttle response, only after lightly pumping the throttle a few times it will start responding. It actually runs quite well like this and idles really low and nice but having to completely close the LSN, what the hell? and it seems to get worse every time i run it.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:39 AM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonro View Post
Just to give an idea where i sealed my V-spec here are some mockups as i dont have a camera to use atm.

It is a messy job but it works and the engine is airtight except for that front bearing. I thought you had to tune engines richer in the case of an air leak but mine is the exact opposite, i tune the HSN first, that tunes normal and ok, i tune it till it clears out on the high RPMs. Now when it comes to the LSN the engine will only run with it nearly completely closed, if its open too much it will rich bog and left to sit for more that 10 seconds it will have almost no throttle response, only after lightly pumping the throttle a few times it will start responding. It actually runs quite well like this and idles really low and nice but having to completely close the LSN, what the hell? and it seems to get worse every time i run it.

Theres something else wrong then. You shouldn't have to do that with the needles at all. Are you sure your piston isn't in back wards? And just for info the best sealer to Use is Permatex SUPER BLACK WEATHER ADHESIVE #82 in the orange tube. Its liquid rubber that dries super fast, super sticky and its in a large tube for dirt cheap at any automotive store.
Hitecs
M11
DSM
and a Retired 8ight.
MonkeyWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench View Post
Theres something else wrong then. You shouldn't have to do that with the needles at all. Are you sure your piston isn't in back wards? And just for info the best sealer to Use is Permatex SUPER BLACK WEATHER ADHESIVE #82 in the orange tube. Its liquid rubber that dries super fast, super sticky and its in a large tube for dirt cheap at any automotive store.
Unless they put it in backwards at the factory then i wouldn't know as ive never touched the piston i guess its something i can check.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I also do motor service, bearings, pinch, clean and inspect for $35.00 + bearings.

Rex
Fx Royal engines/ Maxy Engines
e-mail rwmods@yahoo.com Rex Welch
22Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

Yeah you shouldnt have to go through all of that. I have heard a small bit of sealant around the backplate and the carb where it meets the engine is good, but I have never had to on a good 'race' quality engine. Do you have a good LHS nearby? Might be worth it to have someone look it over.

So you have the high speed needle all the way in, and the low speed is screwed all the way in as well? I would try setting everything back to factory needle settings, and start over with a clean airfilter and new glowplug. I would also make sure that none of that sealant got into the carb, some of it could be blocking fuel.
PhillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Yea looneytune just PM'd me a good bit of help as he was having nearly they exact same problem and fixed it with tuning, so i think its a tuning problem, i have tried resetting needles, tuning from HSN first or LSN first and all that jazz. The engine isent in the buggy atm but the next time i get a chance ill be sticking it back in there and and have another go at tuning it properly with looneytune's advice and the other advice given here.

Cheers.