Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
moly coating piston >

moly coating piston

moly coating piston

Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default moly coating piston

Has anyone ever tried treating or coating a piston with molybdenum? I have been doing it to rifle barrels for a while now. The way I do it is, using a spray on moly coating on the bullets. As you fire it, the moly embeds in the steel barrel.

I can see coating the piston and stroking it several times to work the moly into the aluminum. Using this coating i doubt you could actually run the engine to embed the moly because the coating would foul the plug. I would think coating the piston, stroking several times, cleaning and repeating the process a few times would effectively treat the piston.

The con rod and crank pin may also benefit from this treatment.

I'm sure there are other moly products on the market that may do the job with less time and hassle, I just don't know what they are. I have seen large Wartsilla diesel engines that have a hard moly coating on the piston skirts. Worked well for them.