Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOOKING FOR SPONSORSHIPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Hi I race in my backyard, I am real fast around the walnut tree, and through the briar patch. My buddy and I go to a club race every month, we dont win, but if somone would sponsor me I would be better. I know this, because I see Adam Drake in magazines and hes fast because losi gives them a free ride. Do you guys know of any other companies that would give me freee stuff to burn up in my yard.
Originally Posted by Integra
are u being serious ?
Can't be... too funny. ROFL!!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

He is obviously being sacrcastic .
Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adim_X
Hi I race in my backyard, I am real fast around the walnut tree, and through the briar patch. My buddy and I go to a club race every month, we dont win, but if somone would sponsor me I would be better. I know this, because I see Adam Drake in magazines and hes fast because losi gives them a free ride. Do you guys know of any other companies that would give me freee stuff to burn up in my yard.
Dude, That was mean!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
are u being serious ?
Who said sarcasm was dead...
Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Don Duct;47588[LIST

TIP #4
With that said... Try to keep it fun! A sponsor wants you to represent them well. You must have a personality that will represent the company in a good light. Being helpful, open minded, and of course... placing well in races well will do good for your road to sponsorship.

Well, hope that helps. I can tell you it can become a lot of work, but it can be fun also if you use it correctly.

-Don
I am nowhere near any kind of factory ride, maybe i can give a little insight to the lower levels ...i have a hobby shop deal going in the UK pretty much based on how i am at the track with people and promoting and helping the shop and track and has been a great introduction to how things work, and is hugely satisfying. We basically work on getting people racing, getting people quicker and getting quicker ourselves... and really is the best way to learn - it's been like an apprentiship. Nothing helps you learn like working out other peoples problems and helping them improve. Then when you run into something you don't know, you have to find out and improve your own knowledge base at the same time.

The best bit is we as a team are encouraged to get results, helped and backed up but the pressure is only what you put on yourself at this stage.

Personally i get to as many big races as i can and try and gauge my own progress* like that but the only real pressure is to wear the T shirt, do as well as you can and help people on the way. At the home track i run AE as it's my preferance and also every other car is Losi and is the team car - for good reasons. Running the AE means i have a little inside knowledge on running the car and have people sent to me on that basis, also means the shop knows what to get on and keep up to date. Point is certain decisions have to be made as part of the team effort. We run differant engines all the time to give ourselves experiance with them, means we can help people make the right choice and give reviews for people interested.

My favourite story is how one of our quickest drivers was brought in, i hope i recite this accurately enough. Neil Hunter who owns Sundon Model Shop was racing and battling with the guy pitting next to him for TQ. He got blown out by a problem in two heats and the guy next to him had experianced the problem Neil was having and told him to change his part. Neil said he didn't have one, and was promptly given the part, declining to be paid for it on the basis that it was fun racing with someone on pace. Neil approached him straight after the race about joining the team. I can't remember who won... but the point is great sportsmanship, helpfulness and attitued was exactly what Neil was looking for in his drivers as well as speed.
The driver was Wayne Prattley, a seriously quick club racer and has been a huge help to me in so many ways since i started along with Neil.

Currently we have drivers at all levels of racing except fully pro, but the common thread is helpfullness and representation. Just being fast isn't the ticket, and thats what everyone has been rightly stressing on this thread... it's the full package, what you can bring to the table as well as what can be offered. Since joining up my level of racing increase dramatically (I left the UK leading the home summer series, something i am very proud of and so is my sponsor. I am in my first year racing still.) along with the team, the shop and the track itself. We all put the work in and all see results to be proud of. Personally I love it, and we all have a blast.

Hopefully that little typefest will also give a little insight to someone looking for a litle help racing. As Don said, a partnership with a sponsor can be hardwork... and a lot of fun and rewarding if used correctly. A hobbyshop deal which is usually a constant discount is a great step and a great way of learning about every aspect of racing... if you are prepared to put the time and in in.

*I WILL top 3 a class, that's my goal.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

+100000000000000000000000000

...on Hobby Shop sponsorships! A great starting point and good for both parties. You save on everything, not just kits. Actually, a shop discount can save you just as much money as a 50% manufacturer sponsorship. If possible team up with a shop, know what they stock, and let others know what they have when your at the track. If the hobby shops actually did more of this, they would be surprised how word of mouth can increase their business.

my 2 cents..
Old 08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Inside_Line
+100000000000000000000000000

...on Hobby Shop sponsorships! A great starting point and good for both parties. You save on everything, not just kits. Actually, a shop discount can save you just as much money as a 50% manufacturer sponsorship. If possible team up with a shop, know what they stock, and let others know what they have when your at the track. If the hobby shops actually did more of this, they would be surprised how word of mouth can increase their business.

my 2 cents..
That last point is particuly good. I actually joined the team as Neil opened his second shop, which is the trackside shop at the Novarossi Raceway in the UK, so we were working it pretty much from scratch along with the new race director at the track... everything was really from scratch. Now it is really kicking and now we have a second track, a dirt track behind the all weather astroturf track and overall probably the best facility in the UK. The shop brings back a lot of people on its own, we are renowned for the help and service we give and the knowledge base of the team - we go that extra mile and the word of mouth pays off.

I come to the US for 3 months at a time to be with my lady, and chances are i will move here at some point. While i am here that is the one thing i miss. Here the exchange rate is so much in my favour i don't notice or particuly need any kind of financial help but i do miss the whole operation of what we do in the UK. Out here it is differant rewards, i race with a couple of guys who back home i would be pointing out should be on board with the team... racing with them under our own steam is fantastic fun and we back each other up constantly, and the tracks are all superb and local where we are.

I haven't see anything in the way really of hobby shop guys in this area other than the big online stores, that doesn't mean they are not out there of course. The owners of my local are not interested in the idea and their main business is in other kinds of models, although the guys in the car department are working hard to bring a better level of service and availability as well as supporting the racers as much as they can. It's a shame as that kind of thing can bring a lot to local scenes. I don't personally see why local stores and big internet places shouldn't co-exist although you hear complaints online is killing them... but that's a whole other debate. I order a lot online but like to support local hobby stores that are helpful give all the benefits of face to face business and stock you can physically look at and so on.

I do think the future of physical stores is in having a race team and being part of the chain of sponsorship with the level of service that can bring when done right. Of course that goes for the online stores but maybe isn't as important as their business is mainly in price competition and sheer volume of stock. That i don't have any real experiance with though.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Tech Adept

Default sponsorship is not just good driver.attitude,behavior,personality etc

(its been copy and paste from one of the link for easy reading)

During most weeks I receive quite a number of applications in one form or another from people asking for sponsorship. Unfortunately, most if not of all of these are so poorly thought out, prepared and presented, that they don't get past the first viewing!

I also feel very disappointed at the attitudes that seems to be present in a lot of these "applications", the most disturbing ones being this feeling that "I deserve it" or "as I already use your product I think you should sponsor me"! And these come from both the up and coming club driver and also more experienced drivers that really should know a lot better. I will tell you now that prima donnas, proven or otherwise, are just not welcome, in any sport/activity, at least not by potential sponsors.

I get the distinct impression that most people seem to think that this is just a route for a "cheap" supply of parts etc, well it most definitely is not and if that is what you think then do not bother even applying! Being sponsored is a very important relationship between the driver and the sponsor no matter what the level or activity.

I will quickly add that this is NOT an open invitation to anyone to apply for sponsorship, it is simply a quick guide to what you should consider even before making one.

So, what is sponsorship.......
It is an informal relationship between a supplier and a driver that will be beneficial to both parties, and this is true no matter what the sport or activity! Ultimately drivers like to win races, and if this happens sponsors will always like to see their products used by winners, but winning is not the be all and end all of the relationship, something I think many "applicants" really do need to consider. Being a winner does not guarantee being sponsored, likewise not being a winner will not work against you either!

If you want your application to be read, let alone taken seriously you need to consider the following:

Does the person you are approaching actually know you, if not you are going to have to tell them as much as possible about yourself and your background.

Can you commit, do you really have the time and will to dedicate to the sport, most "team" drivers do a lot more racing than your average club guy.
It takes time to build a working relationship, sponsors like to do this over time, if you think this means one season or series you are badly mistaken. The best drivers and sponsor relationships are the long term ones that last for years.....regularly changing your allegiance is not good for your credibility!

Do you know the potential sponsors business, products and people, do some research, show some genuine interest and knowledge about them. Just remember the sponsor is taking a gamble on you. Can you convey this and your background in such a way that the reader of your application will be interested in following it up.

What can you do in return for the sponsor in return for their support.
Are you presentable, realistic and reliable, not just in your racing but also your attitude. Do you carry any personal baggage, if so let them know up front, do not try to hide it as it will eventually come out and will weaken your credibility.

Remember that as a sponsored driver, you are in essence a representative of the sponsor 24/7, whether you like it or not, and all sponsors would be looking for the absolute highest standards of presentation and especially how you conduct yourself both on and importantly off the track, even in public forums such as this. If this is too high a price then don't waste yours or their time applying.

There really are not that many fully sponsored true "team Drivers", ones who get everything for "nothing", but there are lots who are "supported" at one level or another which is a different issue. Look at the profile and the number of supported drivers of a sponsor, do you really fit in.

You will be surprised at the number emails/post etc I get that are just simply not good enough and frankly not worth reading. Just remember unless you have been specifically asked to make an application, your approach will be unsolicited, and as such the recipient does not have to respond or even acknowledge it, courtesy would say that I normally would try to, but being so busy this is just not always possible, and when you get the number of emails I do that just say something like:
"Hi, I regularly win the XX final at my local club and think I could do better if you would sponsor me............let me know."

I think you not only get the idea, but also know exactly what will happen to this email. So next time you send one off, unsolicited, put yourself in the recipients position, would YOU have given it a second thought yourself as it was presented?

Remember this is a business to the sponsor and they cannot afford to be totally altruistic, be realistic in exactly what sponsorship is about - increasing the awareness and hopefully sales of a product/brand, nothing more, nothing less, anyone who says otherwise is just kidding both you and themselves.

Having read some of the posts made in here, and in other forums, by people who wish or claim to be team drivers, all I can say is that they are either deluding themselves a lot of the time or they are not going to retain that status for much longer.

At any meeting I go to, I am always looking at drivers, at all levels. I watch them both on and off the track, I follow their progress not only during a meeting but also a series.........I am approachable, but I do not discuss business or sponsorship with a stranger at a meeting. Introduce yourself by all means and see what develops, but do not expect anything to result from just one single approach.

its not just driving,your personality,behavior,professionalism, and a little luck