Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What radio upgrade would you reccomend and why? >

What radio upgrade would you reccomend and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What radio upgrade would you reccomend and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default What radio upgrade would you reccomend and why?

I currently run a spektrum DX2.. I was told by a veteran racer today that I need to upgrade to a high-dollar radio.

What besides expo would make that big of a difference? Could I get by with like a Futaba 3PM... Or do I need something like an M11?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I went from a DX2 to a M11 and could tell i was driving much better i think it is just how the radio fells in your hands i went with a M11 i just liked how my friends M11 felt so i got one and love it.the best thing to do i next time you are at the track just ask a couple of guy if you hold there radios and see how that fell in your hands and get the one that fits your hands the best and it will make you a better driver.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
I went from a DX2 to a M11 and could tell i was driving much better i think it is just how the radio fells in your hands i went with a M11 i just liked how my friends M11 felt so i got one and love it.the best thing to do i next time you are at the track just ask a couple of guy if you hold there radios and see how that fell in your hands and get the one that fits your hands the best and it will make you a better driver.
I think it has more to do with features and adjustments... I've used a few M11's and combined with the way there cars were setup up I really didn't like it at all.

Almost like it feels to fast for me.. But maybe it's something that I need to get used to and then learn to exploit.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I started this year with the Ko Propo Helios EX-10. I used an M11 for 2 yrs and have to say that I love my Helios!

With the drop down wheel conversion it's the most comfortable radio I've ever held.....and it is faster than the M11.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The M11 has s setting so you can slow down are speed up the time it take for the radio to react to your move ment if you did not have it set up for your driving style than it would feel funny when i got my M11 i had to send a cople of hours running my buggy and setting my radio to how i like it to drive if you just pick up a nothere drivers radio he will have it set up for how he likes it to feel.

Originally Posted by Furadi
I think it has more to do with features and adjustments... I've used a few M11's and combined with the way there cars were setup up I really didn't like it at all.

Almost like it feels to fast for me.. But maybe it's something that I need to get used to and then learn to exploit.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

The M11 has s setting so you can slow down are speed up the time it take for the radio to react to your move ment if you did not have it set up for your driving style than it would feel funny when i got my M11 i had to send a cople of hours running my buggy and setting my radio to how i like it to drive if you just pick up a nothere drivers radio he will have it set up for how he likes it to feel.
That makes sense. So in relation to an M11 how does the response time of the DX2 compare?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The best bang for your buck I feel is the Spectrum DX3R, light and fast and 4 little AA batteries last for like 12-15 hours. The KO radio is supposed to be top quality as well but are on the small side in the grip area and do not fit comfortably in my hand. Futaba is stupid expensive for the new 4PK and the 3PK is still having tons of failsafe issues which they have not officialy addressed. Airtronics m11 is a good radio as well but you stated you did not like it.

Now all that being said, if you are happy with your remote and it does what you need, then why replace it? Just because stuff is newer and "better" does not mean you need to waste money on it. I never tell people they need something, but if they ask I will explain the benefits of what I have over what they have. "Veteran" racers are good at spending your money, take what they say with a grain of salt. They will give you good product advice but at the expense of your wallet.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by katjim00
The best bang for your buck I feel is the Spectrum DX3R, light and fast and 4 little AA batteries last for like 12-15 hours. The KO radio is supposed to be top quality as well but are on the small side in the grip area and do not fit comfortably in my hand. Futaba is stupid expensive for the new 4PK and the 3PK is still having tons of failsafe issues which they have not officialy addressed. Airtronics m11 is a good radio as well but you stated you did not like it.

Now all that being said, if you are happy with your remote and it does what you need, then why replace it? Just because stuff is newer and "better" does not mean you need to waste money on it. I never tell people they need something, but if they ask I will explain the benefits of what I have over what they have. "Veteran" racers are good at spending your money, take what they say with a grain of salt. They will give you good product advice but at the expense of your wallet.
I said I didn't like it because of the way he had it set-up with his buggy. Kind of a package deal.

and this "veteran racer" isn't going to tell someone they need something for the hell of it. I trust his opinion
Old 08-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

My suggestion would be either the Futaba 3PK or the KO Propo Helios.
The 3PK has more features than you will ever use. It has a good solid feel to it and the interface is pretty quick. The KO Propo is very light and intuitive with it's jog wheel menu. Both give you HSR (high speed response) option and DSM. I have both and use the Spektrum DSM pro module and receiver. It awesome!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Tech Initiate

3pk, the best toy ever!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The M11 has s setting so you can slow down are speed up the time it take for the radio to react to your move ment it set .
I have an m11. What is this feature you're talking about? You referring to expo?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've used a few M11's and combined with the way there cars were setup up I really didn't like it at all.

Furadi its cool, that statement just says you did not like the m11, the M11 is good as well. I have been doing this for 6 or 7 years does that count as a veteran. Just trying to save you some bucks thats all. Most veteran racers know the value of having the best of the best equipment, is it a nessesity, no its not its a luxury. I have seen kids running 5 year old radios whoop a lot of a$$ because they have skillz not because they have all the bells and whistles on their remotes. Peace
Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Most "Veterans" consider any radio other than an M11 or KO or whatever their favorite high end radio is to be a toy. In the past this was very true. Today we have some very nice budget radios. As long as it works trouble free for you, switching is unlikely to improve your laptimes or enjoyment.

Now upgrading servos can definitely improve enjoyment (by not dying) and laptimes if yours are too slow. I can't stand a slow throttle servo.

If you are dead set on switching I would go M11 with Futaba digital servos.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by katjim00

Well said

Furadi your no idiot do you feel you need a new radio? Is the radio not doing what you need it to do? A radio should last you for years so what ever you do buy one that has all the adjustments. Spend the money once and let your savings come through years of good use. I was going to get the DX3R. The funny thing was that every time I went to a hobby shop. Someone would mention under there breathe the Nomadio. I did some checking found there great radios the fastest period. There availability is crappy I bought mine used for $130 and I love it. As long as it keeps working I will not be getting a new one. The funniest thing when I went to the track I saw the shop owner guest what radio he was using. Yup a Nomadio and so were a bunch of other guys. The coolest thing about the radio is the built in telemetry engine temp, speed sensor, RX bat.

Alot of guys are going to mention the latest and greatest radios. What you should do is go to your LHS and ask to hold all the radios you would consider. Eliminate the radios based on feel. When it comes to 2.4 ghz there is not a whole lot of difference other than fit and feel. If you can tell the difference between .05 responce time and .02 your not human your a computer.

Good Luck
Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well, I use a Nomadio React and I also have a Nomadio Sensor as well. I love them both and have no wants with either one. I have had excellent support by phone or email from Scott at Nomadio if I ever had any questions about them. And it usually only takes a hour or so at most. As well, you can always download any new upgrades for either radio when they are released.

The temp sensor is spot on for engine temps to check while your driving and both radios are very easy to learn and only use 4 AA's and will last 10+ hours. They are both very light as well.

And try getting service like that with Horizon....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.