R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

However, the radio tray problems are actually quite ridiculous and without a doubt, a manufacturer's defect.
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

WELL SAID vladconnery......Semple...mfg defect ?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You wouldn't consider that a defect that when set up according to the original instructions, there was a very widespread problem with people burning out servos?

I know people who have spent around a thousand bucks replacing servos on their 8ights. Personally I've replaced two.

It's a problem that can be remedied quite easily but as it stands, the stock radio tray seems to fit the definition of defective.

With that having been said, if I didn't have a Losi, and was trying to make this decision, I'd probably still go Losi, though.
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #34
Tech Lord

1000$ in servo's....i dont even know what to say.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 08-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery View Post
Well I guess according to this post Losi is just plain garbage. Losi sure seems to be on the lines of a redcat or himoto with all these problems. I just want to take a look at your problems for a moment.

1. rear pinion went out = maintenance rarely see this happen on any buggy and when it does it's generally traced back to maintenance.

3. & 5. You burned up 4 servos. This was a Losi issue with adding the O-rinng and properly setting your EPA's. This issue should have been solved after the 1st burned out servo. I and many others never experienced the issue due to setting servo's correctly from the begining. others who burned out servo's and replaced reset there EPA's never had another problem.

4. Shock piston fell off out of the blue just fell off. Sounds more like not properly reinstalling piston. Now if you said it broke that I can maybe go for that. Allthough I never seen anyone break the pison. Seen rods bent.

More than anything I am NOT bashing you just pointing out. That most of your problems seem to be maintenance and user error than manufactors defects. It is inherent in a man to blame the machine and not reevaluate what he did wrong or coud be doing wrong. The greatest growth of a man or driver is when he understands his faults and moves to fix his issue. Which always makes his machine and everything around function at a higher level.

Did you ever take in to consideration that when you changed to X-ray your mindset changed also. You chose a better setup that accomodated your driving style better. You started performing better maintenance from the lessons you learned running your Losi.

Again I'm not bashing you I am glad you are winning with your X-ray they are beautiful buggies. Your success is everyone success it fuels the fire to win in everyone and compete against you. However don't place your faith in a piece of equipment when the only real difference probally was you and your learned skills. To say a piece of equipment was the difference is to say your really not that good of a driver unless you have product A under certain conditions. Thats not the sign of a good driver and you must be one because you are winning. Buggies don't win you make them win.
I myself totally agree with your points and I'm glad you didn't bash me..

- Yes maintenance is the key to the performance and finishing with the Losi. I am probably middle of the road on maintaining my equipment. However, if a buggy can perform as well with much less maintenance, its going to see the finish line more often. With the majority of Losi sales going to sportsman class racers (the largest race class) and probably with lesser maintenance skills than even mine, they could have similar issues.

- Yes my mindset has changed.... I do half the maintenance on my Xray than I used to do on my Losi, and much less setup searching as my Xray is much stable under every condition. I also have finished 100% of my races with the 808.

Diff failure... this problem is somewhat common on the Losi, as I've personally seen this failure happen to others. The problem is twice as bad on the truggy. You can blame that on me or you can blame the cheap china made pinion gear. Either way it failed... and I went out of the race. Also the set screw on the pinion shaft coupler loosened up once, and that took me out of another race. Again, I could have lock-tighted it before every race, but thats what I'm talking about... too much stuff to check. I just slap my Xray down and win.

- Yes you have to be spot on with your EPA and servo linkage setup. I had a team Losi friend setup my linkage after servo two went out. We put a new servo in and he set it up for me. Later that night 10 tanks later, it went out again costing me $220 worth of servos in one night. Now do you blame the $120 servos, the experienced Losi guy, or the design of the servo tray with tolerances that are just very difficult for everyone to get right? I'm sorry but this is a real issue with the Losi and you will never convince me that its my fault, sorry. In fact I saw with my own eyes TWO.. yes TWO.. team Losi guys lose servos in one race. As you know this is not a cheap issue either. You wont win this argument, if I put up a poll asking how many racers have lost or not lost throttle servos, trust me! Why is it ok or normal to burn out a servo "to learn" the tight tolerances on this servo tray?? To all who have only run Losi... you need to know this is NOT NORMAL and you shouldnt have to stock extra $100 servos in your box. If you run an Xray XB808 you will not have the servo problem nor ever even think about it again. Period.

- Yes, the screw that holds the shock piston on backed out. I had only changed my oil in the shocks and never messed with the pistons at that point. So its totally my fault that the piston came loose. It had nothing to do with the assembly done in china. I understand these things happen its not the cars fault.. but it did take e out of a race. Period.

- I am not perfect, and I try to learn from my mistakes with maintenance and failures. I dont even blame the Losi (except the servo thing) for DNF most of my races. In fact when someone ask me why I run Xray now, I tell them I couldn't keep up with the maintenance on the Losi. I also mention its a good buggy if you have the time. But when they ask me if they should get a Losi or Xray I have to tell the truth.... the Xray is 100% better in every way. I can say that after 4 years of expert class racing, and owning 4 different manufacturers vehicle's.

If you have driven a Losi for at least 6 months and experienced no problems what so ever... your special, trust me.

Hey but you have to give it up to Drake and Truhe... they couldnt win without that Losi..! JK..!
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #36
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
You wouldn't consider that a defect that when set up according to the original instructions, there was a very widespread problem with people burning out servos?

I know people who have spent around a thousand bucks replacing servos on their 8ights.
So your saying someone replaced at least ten servos ? If that is really true maybe he should of looked at his linkage setup and radio settings before buying number 2 or 3 servos .

I bought mine when they first come out and still have the original servos in mine and many others that figured out how to setup the linkage and radio properly .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #37
Tech Lord

Set-up searching.........
Old 08-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Set-up searching.........
Trying different setup options to solve inconsistencies in steering, stability and such. Or trying to find a setup that works with your driving style.
CarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default BOTH GOOD

I HAVE TO SAY I OXN LOS8 LOVE IT AFTER U DO HD DIFF MOD AND STERRING ANT SETUP SERVOS EVEN THOUGH THEY STILL GO OUT SOMTIMES I AM ALWAYS ON TOP WITH THIS CAR LOVE THE TWITCHYNESS OR WHTEVER U ALL CALL IT THE FASTER THE RESPONSE THE BETTER. WILL SAY I WANNA TRY 808 ONLY CUZ OF THROTTLE BAKE SERVO ISSIE OTHERWISE LOSI IS IS GREAT CAR TOUGH AS NAILS ONCE U DO MODS AND MAIN THING I CAN TELL U IS LISTEN TO OTHERS THAT HAVE FIX ALL PROBLES AND WORKED THROUGH BUGS. I COULD TELL U THIS CAR IS MY SLEEP. LEARED THE HARD WAY AND AFTEER FIXING THE FEW PROBLEMS THE BUGGY IS PERFECT. MIF THEY COME OUT WITH NEW ONE MAKE IT SO U DONT HAVE TO MOD AND THE SLOP OTHERWIZE PERFECT CAR THAT EVERONE ELSE SEEMS TO WISH THEY COULD MAKE. THATS WHY I WANNA TRY 808 SEEMS LIKE 8B2 TO ME JOSH WHEELIER RACES AT MY TRACK AND I LOOKED AT HIS 808 SAME AS LOSI JUST AKLL THE PROBLEM ARES FIXED ITS A LOSI DONT LET THE NAME FOOL U ITS THE UPGRADED VERSIONS THOUG
mixedguy is offline   Reply With Quote