Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Hudy Set Up System Use? >

Hudy Set Up System Use?

Hudy Set Up System Use?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default Hudy Set Up System Use?

I got one for xmas and it says to use 30mm hudy block for pushing chassis down to get measurements. is this the average of ride heights? shouldnt it be what ever ride height you are using front and rear? then again are the aluminum mounts of the arms the same size as the tires? how accurate is this system compared to the way the out of box set up should be? if say associated says to run -2 camber at a ride height of 27mm in the front I take the tires off attach the hudy set up system and push the chassis down to the 30mm hudy spacers/blocks will the reading be the same as with the tires and the chassis dropped from 12 inches and let it settle? thanks lot of questions but was just wondering.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

You could use the blocks to get your settings at 30mm but most set up the car at their ride height. Make sure your vehicle has everything it needs to hit the track, minus the body, but including things like fuel and receiver batteries, etc. Then set the ride height you want with the tires you plan to use by dropping the vehicle from about a foot off the ground and letting the suspension settle (as you described). Make sure camber and front toe-in is roughly in the ball park visually and radio is trimmed to neutral settings with steering servo linkage. Once the ride height is set, take off the tires/wheels and put on the setup system and tighten axle nut fully. Turn your radio and receiver on. Now set camber to the setting of your desire for both front and rear. The front will take a little effort to get correct, because slight changes in toe-in will affect camber. Simply set camber with front wheels facing as straight as possible, checking with the toe-in plate after each adjustment (which is why you keep your radio on, trimmed to neutral). After a few tries you'll get the hang of doing this quickly by setting camber then checking toe and adjusting both so they are both at the settings you want simultaneously. Most RTR's these days are pretty close out of the box, but the Hudy Setup Plates will be more precise.

If you really want to be precise, after you have set everything as described above, take off the plates and check ride height again. It may have changed slightly due to more precision in your camber and toe settings. So you can reset ride height and then follow above steps for camber and toe (but they'll be very close now when you start). Bottom line is that your ride height should be accurate when you're done as well.

As for the blocks, you can use that to check and measure droop, servo throw, etc. with the wheels off.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lebatek; 12-28-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Your ride height will be 2-4mm higher with the stand than with tires, depending on what tires you use. With the stand on & radio on I push down on the center diff plates a few times to center ride height between adjustments because when you twist the links the ride height changes. Now if you set the car where it handles good & then measure everything with the 30mm blocks under the car you now have a reference to set your car up with next time without settling the susp. just make sure the ride height is correct from time to time from spring sag & keep the blocks under the chassis & it will cut the setup time in 1/2 from not having to settle.Blocks are also good for checking droop as if you only rely on shock length it could vary up to 10mm around the car from bent & twisted arms & bent pins. If i'm making big changes I go ride height-camber-ride height -toe. Ride height will change everything alot. Camber will change toe alot & ride height a little. Toe will change camber & ride height very slightly. I dont know if I was able to explain well but if you know what you want & ride height is good those blocks make it so you just push down on them & crank on the links,easy peasy.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

You right about the tires
Old 12-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

just say i want my ride height 27 in the front and 29 in the rear. would it be better to make blocks at those heights and add or subtract for the difference of the buggy or truggy tires and use those? That way i know i am adjusting my stuff at the height i will drive the car?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Problem is I forget about the tires size when setting ride height with the setup station
Old 12-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If you have the 30mm blocks, you may also need to use the ride hieght/droop guage with that. The zero mark is set at 30mm on the ride hieght guage, so if the rear touched the guage at -1, the ride hieght is 29mm. Same for the front if the guage reads -3, ride hieght is 27mm. The blocks are used to set droop, not sure why Hudy choose 30mm for their base line number, but I am sure they have a reason.