R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default You put your engine sealer where?

Hi Everyone,

Don't say up your... yo know what...

I know when putting your engine back together the standard is to put sealer on your carb and the backplate...

but does anyone use engine sealer other places such as the button head or perhaps other places??

-Don
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Not on the head but over the ends of the carb pinch bolt isn't a bad idea.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Lucky 7 Rc engine sealant is the best stuff out there.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25728

Don't use on the engine until it is completely assembled. You can use around carb base, both ends of pinch bolt, around HS needle housing and fuel inlet nipple.

Do not use inside the engine, the sealant will never dry correctly.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Def use on the HSN - I've had leaks at th ebase of the HSN and the backplate. The leak at the HSN was hard to find, I just do them all now and not worry about it.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

My rule of thumb is, if the part is O-ringed, don't seal it. If the O-ring is bad...REPLACE THE O-RING. As long as your O-rings are nice and healthy, you don't need to silicone anything, if that was the case, wouldn't your motor come siliconed up from the factory?

However, it may or may not be worthwhile to put a small dab of silicone under the heads of bolts such as the ones holding your stuffer plate, and the carb pinch bolt just for some extra assurance that they won't vibrate loose for whatever reason.

$.02 of mine.
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to w_kirk_jr

Hey. i have ben in the hobby long enought to be a vet now and i have talked to prople like mario rossi and jum from fusion and rick brake and chris odonnell and they all say if u do anything just put rubber conditioner on ya orings or a dab of after run oil but that is just so they dont brake going in amd i agree with the one above replace ya orings if they leake do be that guy with blueglue or rtv allover ya engine.... do a test take rtc put in in styrephome cup a thin amount like u use sealing ya motor then put a lil fule in with it.... and u think y would i even think this stuff would work.... my .02 is if ya engine goes past 5 gal replace bearings rod and seals and i have a jp moded p5 with over 30 galons on it and has ben pinches at the 18 mark by propinch and i will prolly be able to finish the season with it take care of ya stuff and it will take care of u
w_kirk_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allumina View Post
My rule of thumb is, if the part is O-ringed, don't seal it. If the O-ring is bad...REPLACE THE O-RING. As long as your O-rings are nice and healthy, you don't need to silicone anything, if that was the case, wouldn't your motor come siliconed up from the factory?

However, it may or may not be worthwhile to put a small dab of silicone under the heads of bolts such as the ones holding your stuffer plate, and the carb pinch bolt just for some extra assurance that they won't vibrate loose for whatever reason.

$.02 of mine.
Not bashing you in anyway, However I swear my RB came with sealent around the hsn from the factory. Actually I'm positive it did I remeber taking it out the box. That was one of the 1st things I noticed was sealent (copper) around backplate and hsn. May have been other places too I just don't remember.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

BAH...to the guys who thinks its all o-rings........motor's leak...plain and simple.....ive seen 400$ speed's with faulty carbs that Pissed fuel out the boot.....same for the .28 version...leaky carbs like crazy......Picco's are notorious for leaking between the composite and alum of the carb body...so that gets sealed too.....i seal Everything for knowing the fact an Air leak can ruin your day pretty fast....and in reality there's NO way to do a quick fix and cofirm you have sealed the leak...as all silicone sealants need at least 12hrs to dry properly....and Lucky 7 is NOT the best stuff out there.....Three Bond 1211 is....as it comes in a big tube...not a TINY little bottle....its a little more pricy...but WELL worth the quality....this is what modder's use to fill the cranks....so if it'll hold up in a 350+fuel enviroment its sure good enuff to seal the carby.

PS...rant if u will....i know my chit....weather u like it or not.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
Tech Lord

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Have you ever use Lucky 7 Rc engine sealant?

I can assure you it is the best stuff out there to seal your nitro engine.

Lucky 7 Rc engine Sealant was researched and designed by Ed Bridges in the lab of EB Mods.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
Have you ever use Lucky 7 Rc engine sealant?

I can assure you it is the best stuff out there to seal your nitro engine.

Lucky 7 Rc engine Sealant was researched and designed by Ed Bridges in the lab of EB Mods.

do u even have a Clue ? do u know what a Filled crank even is ?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ok both of you, that's enough. I've never used either but who cares?

JP, have you ever used Integra's ThreeBond stuff? You can't give him a hard time about not using Lucky 7 if you haven't used ThreeBond.

Integra, so what if it is used to fill cranks, that does not mean it's a good sealer. It may be, I have no idea but sealing and filling are two different things.

It makes no difference. There are hundreds of products out there that will do the job just fine.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post

It makes no difference. There are hundreds of products out there that will do the job just fine.

No actually there isnt....our nitro fuel is Way more corrosive then u might think.....Take some of the FAMED RTV copper and put a dry blob into some nitro...see what happens to the Crappy sealant then......Three bond is unlike most products...there Is One that actually imo Copied three bond...and its Racer's Edge...its red but Smells the same....goes on the same....and dry's the same....but its red......air leaks happen on Every motor....even the famed OS speed has a leaky carb...so imo Every motor can benefit from a proper seal job.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
Tech Lord

also...sealing and Filling are essentially the same....actually filing would require even a better bond between the steel and the silicone....so therefor if it will Hold in a crank spining 33k+ in temps of 300+ it would seal a carb just fine....and the only thing u need to remove this stuff...is your Fingernail.

and for sh*ts and giggle's...ive added the lucky 7 to my next amain order to try it out....ive wanted to...but the 1211 just does that nice of a job already....but for 5$..ill try it.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Ok both of you, that's enough. I've never used either but who cares?

JP, have you ever used Integra's ThreeBond stuff? You can't give him a hard time about not using Lucky 7 if you haven't used ThreeBond.

Integra, so what if it is used to fill cranks, that does not mean it's a good sealer. It may be, I have no idea but sealing and filling are two different things.

I wasn't giving anyone a hard time.... I haven't used ThreeBond to seal my engines, because it wasn't formulated to do so.... I am the owner of Lucky 7 RC... My sealant is NOT silicon based, and works much better then ANY silicon based sealant.. Oh yeah and Lucky 7 drys in a 1/2 hour.

Integra filling crankshafts and sealing engines are two totally different applications.
So I ask you do you have a clue?