Send a message via ICQ to Tree

http://www.savage-central.com/module...Forums&t=54465
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladconnery View Post
Don,

I simply don't want to see you make a costly mistake. Engines cost as much as a buggy kit. No need to risk anything over $10 at the most. Nitro is more corrosive than gas so even if it said ok in a gas enviroment. I would still stick with a product specific to the application. Here is a video on youtube on how to seal your engine. He uses the hi temp engine copper seal. Definately do not use the black seal its not gas proof. www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwDy-I0Z4I
I really appreciate the pointers, I’m not trying to argue with you I simply trying to ask what to use. I'll take your advice and take the Black stuff back. Thanks for posting the video... this is great help for me.

Should I get the copper stuff...

Funny though... that copper stuff is RTV also. I think it says the same thing... "NOTE: Not recommened for use on head gaskets or parts in contact with gasoline." People are saying it's not Nitro safe... any ideas on that?

Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Thanks this is great stuff! The video posted earlier had the same steps and materials. Seems like the Copper stuff is what to use, but some here seem to think it's not good to use the copper RTV.

Hmmm

-Don
Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #34
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
Lucky 7 engine sealant is NOT red, and is NOT RTV.
It IS a special blended formula, designed to seal NITRO engines.

http://lucky7rc.com/description.html
dude thats very cool !! I am looking forward to trying it ! I like the idea of a 30 minute dry time, the 1211 we use needs a 24 hr cure to be fully ready to go....30 minutes will make things much easier....
Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalessi View Post
I wasn't giving anyone a hard time.... I haven't used ThreeBond to seal my engines, because it wasn't formulated to do so.... I am the owner of Lucky 7 RC... My sealant is NOT silicon based, and works much better then ANY silicon based sealant.. Oh yeah and Lucky 7 drys in a 1/2 hour.

Integra filling crankshafts and sealing engines are two totally different applications.
So I ask you do you have a clue?
Definately going to give your product a try. Love the dry time!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #36
Tech Adept

Lucky 7 engine sealant sounds good. I'll give it a try if I can find some in the Phoenix area.

There must be other products though? Seems like Lucky 7 is the only RC nitro engine sealant.

So besides RTV, which sounds like not a good choice and Lucky 7 what is there?

I'm tempted to just put the engine back together without any sealant and just use Green Slime O-ring grease on all the O-rings.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #37
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

RTV IS NOT NOT NOT NOT FUEL proof...take a dry blob to a cup of nitro and see what happens......>Racer's edge IS NOT the same as Rtv....its the same as 1211..just red....that black stuff is definatly Not the stuff u want....and ya i hear ya on the only a few products to use...but its not like there not avaliable....maby just not locally....that thread on SC is IMO the biggest Crock of *hit ive seen in a while...I WISH that thread never existed.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #38
Tech Adept

I wish I started this tread earlier cause I placed an order for engine bearings a few days go and I could have added one of those engine sealer products.

I think what I am going to try is...

Look for Racers Edge or Lucky 7 locally and use that or if I can't find those...

I'll just put the engine back together without that stuff, just making sure I use o-ring grease on the back plate o-ring and carb areas.

The engine only has 1 gallon though it so the o-rings look good. I'll test the engine for air leaks with the air pressure and soapy water test.

Thanks for all the feedback. My 1st time working on these engines.

-Don
Old 08-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

ANYONE wanting to give Lucky 7 engine sealant a shot. you can send me a paypal @ jpalessi@gmail.com for $7.50

OR contact any of my retail dealers

http://lucky7rc.com/dealers.html
Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #40
Tech Lord

couple pics.....nothing fantabulous...but u get the idea....the backplate only needs a TINY amount....as they ushally dont leak from there....from what ive seen...its normally the boot's....the carb neck...pinch bolt.....or the highspeed......and as u can see ive got all that taken care of....My motor's ushally come in from a day of running BONE DRY.....i cant count how many Leaky deaky motor's ive seen in the past...that would drive me Nuts...so i seal it all.

the grey is JBweld...which Max did prior to me purchasing the motor....so if i had it MY way...that bead would have been 1211...but its been holding up good so far.

TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #41
Tech Adept

WOW, gloopy.

I shouldn't laught cause I bet it does not leak.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #42
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Duct View Post
WOW, gloopy.

the highspeed's hard to make look good....unless u cover it like the 3rd pic...but your right tho....BONE DRY.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Duct View Post
WOW, gloopy.

No that's a good job! Covered all the bases... Yeah deff think you'll find Lucky 7 to be much easy to work with. It goes on thin so you can over load it in 1 spot and Blow on it to work it around. trying to give you an idea of how thin it is compared to silicone based sealant.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #44
Tech Lord

i look forward to trying it.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #45
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

no where i run novarossi engines
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote