R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti Tech View Post
+1 on Ed's tools. Same quality as Hudy for less. I bought a metric hex set from him 2 years ago.. Tips are still as sharp as new. Ed's also carries a set of driver bits BUT my Ofna bits are 8 years old, and still sharp.

u obviouly dont wrench every week with them ofna's.....or they used differnt alloy's back then....as my ofnas after less then a year are already on the worn side...and i Only use the 2.0 and 2.5 for plastic chassy screw's....but then again...i am wrenching almost Every day of the week.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Are you talking 1/4" Ofna hex drivers or hand drivers? If you're talking about power drivers - are yours straight? - I went thru 4 sets of Ofna 1/4" drivers and just gave up, the hex driver bits were all bent to some degree. My shop let me make the best set I could from 4 sets, but they're still bent. Just the hex bits - all the others were straight.

Disappointed, I'm looking for a better set. Something that spins true.

Def agree though, buy good tools in the beginning! I have a set of Thorp metric hex drivers early on and they've been worth every penny.

Last edited by Duster_360; 08-11-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Clarify!
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The best cordless driver bits are the 2.0mm and 2.5mm bits from Mugen. They are a bit pricey but VERY good quality. They only make these two sizes.

As for hex drivers if you need a complete tool set the Mugen set is really nice as well. Very high quality tips (they are replaceable) and the handles are very nice and comfortable. If you don't want to spend the money then hit up Amainhobbies for the Thunder Tiger metric hex driver set. They are only like $28 and comes with 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0mm. The tips are also replaceable and the tools are very good quality. For a ball tip the only one you will ever need is the 2.5mm so you can buy that TTR driver too from Amain individually. I also recommend a 5.5mm nut driver for the 3mm locknuts but you can get that anywhere.

As for cordless drivers go to Lowes and pick up the Hitachi lithium driver. It comes with two Lithium Ion packs, has two speeds and most importantly an adjustable clutch...all for only $50. It is the best tool you can ever have wrenching on these cars all day.

Best regards,

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts

Last edited by TonysScrews; 08-11-2008 at 07:11 PM.
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

EDS TOOLS ARE GREAT.

http://www.bulldawgrc.com/tools.html
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Infiniti Tech Send a message via Yahoo to Infiniti Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
u obviouly dont wrench every week with them ofna's.....or they used differnt alloy's back then....as my ofnas after less then a year are already on the worn side...and i Only use the 2.0 and 2.5 for plastic chassy screw's....but then again...i am wrenching almost Every day of the week.
I'm not in a perpetual state of "work" on my stuff, if thats what you mean.. LOL!! But seriously, those and the Ed's driver have been the best 2 sets I've owned. The ofna drivers came in a set.. I bought 2 sets.. standard and metric. 4 bits and a ratcheting screwdriver handle.. Bought'em back in 2000/2001.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to NEMESIS44

MIP's rock. I don't have many because I, like you, tried the cheap route. I bought at my LHS but went with Integy because they are cheaper than every other RC brand I have seen except maybe Dynamite. I have broken the tips off of new drivers the first time I picked them up and ruined countless screws because of the tip not fitting to begin with(yes I know the difference in metric and SAE) Have had the same thing happen with Losi tools, thank God I didn't pay for them. EDS are suppose to be really good tools.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #22
Tech Lord

Send a message via MSN to Integra

there's NOTHING wrong with the Integy's or the Losi tools...U obviously had worn out screw's that were on the way to stripping already....all driver's fit screw's a litte differently.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

OFNA has has a couple different versions of their driver bits. The nice hardened and ground ones are a bright silver steel color, come in a set of four, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm for metrics and work great. Maybe not quite as nice as EDS or MIP but very good. The dull gray colored ones are pretty much junk.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Twotan

Snap-on is the way to go. full life-time warranty.
Twotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

i drive an RC8 and im the same way - tried to go cheap on my tools.

Almost all my tools are harbor freight EXCEPT FOR HEX DRIVERS

DO NOT GO CHEAP ON HEX DRIVERS - DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR AND GET THE MIP 1.5MM, 2.0MM, AND 2.5MM - THATLL BE ALL YOU NEED FOR THE RC8

it will cost you more in hardware if you go cheap on your hex drivers, - but for everything else just go to harbor freight and go nuts
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to IanWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
Gotta buy a bunch of extra screws too. Cheap drivers will eat hex head screws...
And a dremel with a bunch of cutting discs.
IanWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

Go Hudy, Go Hudy, GO!

/dance
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This is the cordless driver I picked up. After looking at all of them (iuncluding the hitachi) I went with ths one. Its less than $40 an also li-ion. I've had it over a yr and have charged it only twice. When I converted my old Emaxx (pre-widetrac) to 3.3 suspension, the driver made short work of it coming apart and going back together. I had already converted it over to hex heads (Tony's Screws) and that just made it go quicker.

No it doesn't have a clutch, but if you're paying attention, you don't really need one. I like to finish setting screws by hand and the pistol grip shape of this driver suite sthat purpose well.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...roductID=10952
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My first cordless driver was the Skil IXO (now they have the IXO 2) and it is the same small pistol Lithium Ion driver. It only has forward/reverse and 200 RPM speed but it does work well. I actually keep it in my pit box and use it trackside. The charge lasts a long while. It does not quite have enough power to strip out plastics, plus it is slow enough to work with that you don't need the clutch on it. I like how small and light it is (my pit bag is too heavy as it is....LOL )

But when I'm doing builds or complete tear-downs at home I use the Hitachi. I like that it comes with two batteries so you can go non-stop.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Wink

Yep, MIP are good tools. They also make the Speed-Tips for the cordless drivers. Also pick up a ball end style one for the motor mount screws.

Here are the links where you can get a set for a descent price.

2.5mm
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...7230115389.htm
2.0mm
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...7230115382.htm

The whole page of different tips and MIP tools.
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalo...e=6&search=MIP

Inside_Line is offline   Reply With Quote