R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #31
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Granted, there are a lot of different opinions out there...

That's exactly what we are talking about here. I had (ok, still have but don't use) a DX2. It doesn't have exponential adjustments, nor do I believe it has speed adjustments. Just endpoints... Those are 2 nice tools to improve your control of the car... (or crutches, if you wish to call them that... but exponential on steering can tame a twitchy car to a certain extent... and speed adjustment on throttle can help make you smoother...)

You don't HAVE to buy the latest and greatest. Just look for the features you need. I suggest:

1) Exponential on both throttle and steering
2) Speed adjustment on both throttle and steering. (NO, that is not the same as exponential!)

Spektrum is nice, but not mandatory... most decent radios can be upgraded to spektrum, and some can be bought with it. I'm not going to recommend any specific radio... I run an old M8 that I bought used and it works just fine... and I run the Spektrum module and the receiver that came with my DX2. There are lot of good radios out there... get something that has the features you want, in your price range, and that feels decent in your hand.

As for light weight... my M8 is heavy, but I don't even notice when I'm driving. Your opinion on that may differ.
Thx, that's the kind of info I was looking for. So what does speed adjustment do for throttle and steering?
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ?

ko propo helios or m11?
chad24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Hi, I used to have a spectrum dx3 the first edition and it performed great in my electrics and gas truck
But now I have a JR Z-1 and it is awesome, it is proly the same as a helios because in the manuel it shows you can use some KO recievers.
This radio has normal and hi-response modulation it has throttle curve, speed, punch and a whole lot of other stuff and the same goes for steering plus it also has abs for breaks and a lot of these features can be used for racing, I wish I had this radio when I used to race 1/10th gastruck !
So you dont really need a high end radio but if you can get one you wont regret it .
E-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
Thx, that's the kind of info I was looking for. So what does speed adjustment do for throttle and steering?
I believe you can only slow down your servos from their rated speed. You can get a calmer, less twitchy reaction.
rallyebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:31 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyebmx View Post
I believe you can only slow down your servos from their rated speed. You can get a calmer, less twitchy reaction.
+1 yup, exactly that. It helps smooth out a twitchy driver.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #36
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
+1 yup, exactly that. It helps smooth out a twitchy driver.
........so does less coffee in the morning.

I do find it interesting that Joel Johnson who's won more than his share of national and world titles using nothing but rather basic FM radios, and Masami has claimed more than any three men's share of the booty in multiple classes using a stick radio didn't want or feel the need to upgrade...............
szakcajaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #37
Tech Initiate

I don't think a really high end radio is necessary by any means. The things that matter the most are a well set up car and driving ability. Of course, having dozens of features and adjustments doesn't hurt, but they won't make a huge difference. I tend to agree with what szakcajaru said about Joel Johnson and Masami. I just read in the August issue of Radio Control Car Action that Mike Dumas doesn't change any of the digital settings on his radio, and he just won the ROAR 1/12-Scale Nationals. Seems to me like having a whole bunch of radio adjustments isn't what makes a fast driver.
On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Airtronics M8 or M11

has all the features you will ever need

my M8 is 6 yrs old and still going strong...
Old 08-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #39
Tech Adept

agree m11
AIRTRONICS
C.Poh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #40
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I guess the "bottom line" is I feel good using a higher end radio..To me "most" higher end radios just have a better feel to them..then add to the fact IF (that's a BIG IF) YOU KNOW HOW TO USE ALL THE ADJUSTMENTS..it can make your car easier to drive..I do like the Spektrum DX3R..it's nice in the longer nitro mains..The M-8 and M-11 never felt good to me so no matter how awesome a radio it was..I never liked them..Futaba 3PK to heavy..KO helios..awesome feel..Nomadio..plain and simple..SUCKED..at least for me..and radios for the most are just opinions..
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Momo5

I say the M8..and you can get them really cheap used with a spectrum module. I got mine a few months ago for $125 with reciever and it was one of the best buys I've made...
Momo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Go with the M11, IMO the best radio ever made.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

I started with an M8 with spektrum - kinda glitchy but it got the job done

I then switched to the Futaba 3pks with FASST - AWESOME even though im a new racer i could completely tell the difference ( way way way more resolution especially on throttle).

when i try to drive with my M8 now it just feels like a light switch

warning though - some people dont like this about the 3pk

Another problem with the FASST system:
the fasst system "talks" to servos with a 2.7v signal voltage. The standard though in the industry is 3.0v signal voltage. therefore - with some brands of servos the fasst system gets way glitchy or doesnt even work at all. I had to sell my airtronics and hitec servos becasue they wouldnt work with fasst. - and i know it wasnt the servos becasue they still work great with my m8 (the servos wont center).

All this to say - ive heard from many that if you wanna run fasst you have to run futaba servos
Its kinda futabas way to make everyone use their stuff

they good thing though is that futaba makes AWEOME servos. - and when you run all futaba - servos/fasst/TX - its something else. tons and tons of resolution speed and accuracy, everything i used before felt RTR.

Dont get me wrong I love my hitec servos and I still think theyre the best - but I think there is something to be gained when you parts that ARE DESIGNED TO WORK TOGETHER - its kinda like when mac makes all teh software and hardware for theyre computers and the synergy makes everything work well together
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #44
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

wstuart...my hitec's work fine with my Faast....i think its cuz u mixed in a Analoge Air servo in the mix...thats what it didnt like.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart

I dont know about that, I run all digital servos.
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote