R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Axe Rossi motor

Hey you guys at Rc tech. Recently my home track was rebuilt. Its a very nice layout, but here's my problem. It has a 30+ foot triple;that has almost no track room too build up your speed. I'm running a Xray xt8 with a very good engine. And until now my O.s. Speed hasn't failed me yet. It seems as though it just doesn't have enough low end too make it perfect. It just barely misses it. I've got it extremely hoped up. Its really hurting me though so I need to make the change. Some of the guys are running the Go Tech 25. in the cars and seem too be making it. But then I stumbled on the Axe rossi motor. This immediately caught my eye . Can anyone tell me if they have this motor, or what they think about it? If so that would be helpful. Because it says that its a 1.3 Hp jump from a speed.

Thankz,
Team hawk!

Team hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crazy4wdracer

IMO the Axe Rossi is not worth the extra money. If I were you then I would go with the GO Tech .25. The parts for it are also much cheaper than the Axe Rossi parts. You could even have the Go engine modded and it would still end up costing less than the Axe Rossi. Also you cannot trust the horsepower rating that the factory tells you. It is not the actual HP. Alot of times they just make up a number. the only real way to test HP is on a dyno. If you are looking to make the step to a .28 the Jammin JPX.28 is a ballistic engine, the only bad thing about about it is the fuel mileage. I think you should be fine with the GO .25 with a good bottom end pipe. What pipe are you running with your current engine?
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

JP-4 pipe. I Don't think the pipes my problem. Also I looked at the O.S. .28XZ and it looks pretty good.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Tech Elite

The Axe .25 has been getting very good feedback in truggies.
While the Go engines are better priced they wont come close for durability and life of the Axe.

Dont worry on what guys suggest and look at what you want from a engine and decide from there.
If price is a issue then look at the Go and OFNA motors.
Also look at what is avialable and supported locally.
There are plenty of excellent engines available.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Im 99% positive im going with the O.S. 28XZ Ive alyways been a o.s. guy so this engine is all that I want. I just want some info on it and what you guys think?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

The OS .28 is powerful, but also fuel hungry. Your run times will drop. Also, they use a specific flywheel for the .28 engines. Other than that, it does drop more power to the ground than a .21.

As for the Axe Rossi, its new and it seems to do well from what I have heard.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The OS 28 works fine with any flywheel, the OS flywheel is steel so its a bit heavier and tames the bottom end down some....I like my OS 28's performance, but i am not overly impressed with its build quality...front bearing leaked badly as well the carb also likes to leak..........I also am not overly sold on the piston material, this motor lost its pinch insanely fast which worries me about long term wear...My motor has about 2 gallons on it, has zero pinch and great compression, but we will see how long the compression lasts ..a comparable Picco doesn't lose its initial break in pinch till about 2 gallons and will continue to be tight for several more gallons.....
Old 08-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

IMO, the Picco P3-28's are the best motor for the money in the big block catagory. I have never had a motor run as strong and last 8+ gallons for under $200. The Axe would get the job done as well but if you want a good long lasting good performing engine, the Picco is a great motor for a great price. Maximo is right about the pinch, they don't even loosen up until the 2-3 gallon mark and still have some mechanical pinch at the 6 gallon mark. the down side is, the rods wear out fast if you don't preheat them before every run but otherwise a great choice. The Novarossi's, Rossi's, OS and the RB's are also great choices but do cost more and it all comes down to your budget. I have no experience with the GO .25's so no opinion on that one, sorry.
PowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

power house your right about the picco's i own a p3 my first real engine and i loved it but the rod went out at my 3rd gallon. i want to get a rb engine or really a RADICAL theres a guy at my track here in houston he's killing every body!!! but anyways i will call u about modden my picco.. LOOK OUT FOR THOSE RADICALS GUYS THERE BACK ON THE SEEN AND LOOKIN REAL MEAN.. MUGEN BOI
mugen boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have a JPX 21 that is now on gallon 8..motor still gets stuck at TDC... and has more power and RPM then any other offroad 21 I have ever encountered...bottom end hits like a .28 and top end feels like a onroad motor...I truly believe the modified Picco's have no equal when it comes to power and RPM and stability... even with timing cranked very high Picco's tune and run very stable unlike many other engine brands.. run time between 7.5 and 10 minutes depending on track conditions and tune......
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

does anyone have any info on the Cobra evo 25 Truggy motor.
lethalleigh29 is offline   Reply With Quote