Wiki Posts
Search

Chasing a Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Chasing a Tune

I've got a new engine that I just cann't seem to get a tune on. Sometimes it will idle forever, other times not at all. I've tried re-setting to factory and going from there, but it was soo rich it just conked out.

However, before I left the track last night I found that the rubber hose leading from the air filter to the carb had a crack in it. Is it possible that this is the issue?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

get a new air filter and then go from factory settings but just lean it out some from factory so its not so rich and then go from there
Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Ya I kinda figure that the hole in the air filter might be causing a huge issue.

I hope to find out this evening.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Yes that could be your problem, go ahead and get a new air filter. Make sure that your idle screw is set properly so that the same idle will be had each time.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

An air leak ANYWHERE in the engine system will cause erratic performance. This includes the engine's back plate, pinch bolt, carb seat, HSN needle housing, carb Slide/boot, Bearings, fuel lines, and gas tank. Some of these can be sealed i.e. back plate, pinch bolt, HSN housing... some need to be replaced i.e. gas tank, fuel lines, bearings, and carb slide boot.

Go through your entire system to ensure its tight if your engine has performance issue, even brand new engines can have air leaks.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i had a brand new sirio evo 3 that leaked like crazy!!! a little sealent and she was good to go for about two gallons!!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by desertbird
An air leak ANYWHERE in the engine system will cause erratic performance. This includes the engine's back plate, pinch bolt, carb seat, HSN needle housing, carb Slide/boot, Bearings, fuel lines, and gas tank. Some of these can be sealed i.e. back plate, pinch bolt, HSN housing... some need to be replaced i.e. gas tank, fuel lines, bearings, and carb slide boot.

Go through your entire system to ensure its tight if your engine has performance issue, even brand new engines can have air leaks.

Good to know. I'll defiantly check it all out and report back!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Actually, I went through the fuel system last evening and found a hole in the gas tank when I pressure tested it.

So, I'm guessing this was the cause of my issue.