R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Diff Oil (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/235817-diff-oil.html)

Captpete 08-05-2008 06:58 PM

Diff Oil

How often do you have to add/change Differential Oil on an RC8? Being new... how do you do it?

Thanks

Pete

2005 crf 450 08-06-2008 02:18 AM

I change my diff oil every 2 gallons (twice a year)

Im sure theres hardcore guys here who change the diff and shock oil every tank of gas because they take rc so serious.

its not that critical to always have fresh and clean diff oil, the center one is easy to change, the front and back are a bit more time consuming.

these aernt multi million dollar machines that need to be completely taken apart, cleaned, and re-greased every time its had a tank of gas go through it, even though some people treat them as one...

air8 08-06-2008 03:24 AM

When the fluid starts to lose it's clear color. If the fluid is not clear it is breaking down, and being contaminated with metal/plastic particles. Over time you'll find out what intervals you need. Many factors will affect fluid changes: environment, engine, surfaces, driving style, drive time, etc.,....

Greenlee37 08-06-2008 03:36 AM

I just changed mine tonight... After about 10 races, which equals 20 Quals,(5 mins each) and 10 mains, (15 mins each) my diff oil was toast. Smelled burnt, black and dirty. I would reccomend changing sooner, maybe after 6 or 7 races. I could notice a difference after about race 8 that my diffs needed to be re-done. When changing diff oil, I usually change all my bearings too... This is all on preference. Just depends on how hard and how much you race...

Captpete 08-06-2008 05:59 AM

Can you guys give me a brief explanation of what has to come off and taken apart to get to the differentials? I see the diagrams on the first few pages of the RC8 manual are pretty good. It looks like you have to take both the front and rears suspension assemblies off the body of the buggy to work on getting to the front and rear differentials is that correct?

Pete

Captpete 08-06-2008 06:56 AM

Any videos possibly with someone showing you how they do it? Couldn't find anything on youtube.

jamminnay 08-06-2008 08:12 AM

i change mine every two weekends.. for big races i usually change before the a main..

jbrow1 08-06-2008 09:28 AM

It's really quite simple to remove the diffs. If you just look at the car you will see what needs to come off. Just look at the diff case and know the front half needs to be removed to pull the diff out. And remember on the four screws on the bottom, the two in the back that don't have to come out.. unscrew them half way and it will make it alot easier to get the front case half out and back in.

Also for the front diff.. I'll see if I can find a pic later, but you cut the shock tower and it cuts the time needed to get the diff out/in in half. The part of the tower that is recessed, and sits behind the top of the diff case. You just cut that out with your dremel cut wheel (wear a dust mask for sure). Save the piece as it needs to be put back behind the diff case every time. I need to just glue it on there. hehe But seriously it makes the front diff a breeze. And also makes changing roll centers easier as well.

As for how long between oil changes... I change mine at least every two race meetings. I try to at least check the levels at least every raceday. It's good to know it's full in there. Plus you can inspect the bearings. I didn't check mine last weekend for the first time. Almost ruined it due to a blown diff bearing in the rear outdrive. But caught it in time so no damage.

Good luck to ya, happy racing. PM me if ya have any questions.
Actually email me [email protected] Half the time this forum does not work for me and I can't get it to open.

scoopdaloop 08-06-2008 11:05 AM

Jesus... you change your diff oil twice a year? Sorry bud, but differential oil does not hold its viscosity grade very long due to the heat and possible leaks in the diffs. You must understand that if you want 10k in the front diff, after two weekend races you need to be looking at your diffs and most likely replacing the oil. ***You should want to take care of your vehicle, it takes care of you :)

jbrow1 08-06-2008 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 2005 crf 450 (Post 4712041)
I change my diff oil every 2 gallons (twice a year)

Im sure theres hardcore guys here who change the diff and shock oil every tank of gas because they take rc so serious.

its not that critical to always have fresh and clean diff oil, the center one is easy to change, the front and back are a bit more time consuming.

these aernt multi million dollar machines that need to be completely taken apart, cleaned, and re-greased every time its had a tank of gas go through it, even though some people treat them as one...

Some of us like to maintain the equipment to high standards because of the amount of money a race weekend costs us. It sucks to travel, spend $$$, then DNF a race because the equipment wasn't maintained. You are correct though, it is all a personal preference type thing. It also depends on what you do with your cars type thing also. Racing is probably the hardest thing you can put these toy cars thru.

Captpete 08-07-2008 05:57 PM

Thanks guys.

2005 crf 450 08-07-2008 06:25 PM

I know, I probably dont ride my car as much/hard as 90% of you so mine probably doesnt get beat on as bad.

yeah I only change mine twice a year, is that really that big of a deal when I only run not even 4 gallons through it a year? thats like a gallon a month. So unless the oil starts to degrade while sitting on the shelf, I guess im doing something wrong.

You guys say you change yours every 6 or so races, a race probably takes near half a gallon at least doesnt it? I wouldnt know... I have never raced before.

I dont even know what oil is in the front and back, I assume stock. I bought the buggy 2nd hand, it was pretty new when I got it though.

and in all honesty, I have only changed the center diff oil, and that was hell of a job (cuz it was my first time), I couldnt imagine doing the center and back, that would take so long, and I would be stripping bolts or finding worn out pieces in the process ie: spending money!! My car drives perfectly fine, I might change the front and back if I ever have some spare time, its not too high on my priorities list though.

greenracing 08-08-2008 02:40 PM

I burn 15 Gallons a year and refresh oils every 2 races. if you burn only 2 Gallons a year...i think you are in the money:lol:

t0adman 08-08-2008 04:05 PM

I got my RC8 used as well and ran it several times at the track before changing all three diffs before a race weekend. All three were either empty or almost there and the oil was black sludge. The bearings were all shot too. When I got it all back together (yes, it took a while the first time) the car was so much better I was stunned. As I notice the quality or type of traction degrade I'll replace it again. I'd guess about every 1.5 to 2 gallons.

2005 crf 450 08-08-2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by t0adman (Post 4721353)
I got my RC8 used as well and ran it several times at the track before changing all three diffs before a race weekend. All three were either empty or almost there and the oil was black sludge. The bearings were all shot too. When I got it all back together (yes, it took a while the first time) the car was so much better I was stunned. As I notice the quality or type of traction degrade I'll replace it again. I'd guess about every 1.5 to 2 gallons.

now the diff bearings.... those are something ive never changed, they dont act/look/perform like they need a changing, why change what aint broke/doesnt need changing?

I understand you guys race and need your car in its absolute prime though.