R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Strange problem with Losi 8T

My Losi was raced for the first time today and I had a problem I need some help with. While jumping and the nose falls down it cuts out like it is running out of fuel then when it lands it takes a few seconds to clear out. When I check the in tank filter it was fully sumerged in fuel. I can turn the truck in all different positions while holding it and it does not do this until I hold it by the wing or even at a 45 degree angle with the nose down. It just acts like it is not getting enough pressure to move the fuel into the carb. I changed the fuel line and also tried moving the filter in different posistions in the tank. My freind has one and it does it also but a few others had them and theirs is fine. Sorry this post is so long but I need help. Thanks in advance.
Big Billy's RC World
Baity's RC
rcdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Try replacing with a NEW fuel tank, It still may getting fuel but not enough flow. I have had to replace fuel tanks in both my Losi buggy and Truggy. I fought a tuning problem for 1 race day, thought it was motor. I put another newer Pre-tuned RBs5 motor in Truggy and still had same problem. At that point I went right to tank, sure enough once I replaced tank, it is now running great.
Ramirez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdaddy View Post
My Losi was raced for the first time today and I had a problem I need some help with. While jumping and the nose falls down it cuts out like it is running out of fuel then when it lands it takes a few seconds to clear out. When I check the in tank filter it was fully sumerged in fuel. I can turn the truck in all different positions while holding it and it does not do this until I hold it by the wing or even at a 45 degree angle with the nose down. It just acts like it is not getting enough pressure to move the fuel into the carb. I changed the fuel line and also tried moving the filter in different posistions in the tank. My freind has one and it does it also but a few others had them and theirs is fine. Sorry this post is so long but I need help. Thanks in advance.
Before you replace the tank, try wrapping some bands around the tank and lid. 8ight tanks are notorious for having weak springs.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Sounds like you checked this but it's all I could come up with for now... look in the tank and make sure the filter stone is not pulled against the tank wall where the fuel line comes in. If you pull on the fuel tubing you can actually pull the filter stone all the way to the inside edge of the tank. The stone should extend across the bottom of the tank hanging at the end of extra tubing so it's flopping around.

If the tubing is pulled so the stone is against the tank wall then when you point the nose down no fuel will get to the stone.

If this is the case... gently take some narrow pliers and pull the stone across the tank so it's not quite touching the opposing tank wall. You may have to pull the stone out of the top of the tank to get enough extension.
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furadi View Post
Before you replace the tank, try wrapping some bands around the tank and lid. 8ight tanks are notorious for having weak springs.
+1

The same rubberbands that women use in there hair the little ones. Try 4 around your tank even if it does not turn out to be the problem use them anyway. They are oil and gas resistant they won't make your tank harder to open. but will apply the little extra pressure to your tank you need. They also work great as throttle return springs.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, I will try the bands. I am going to do some testing on it tonight. I will try the bands and if that dont help I am going to pull the filter off and see if the problem is still there. I will let you know.
Big Billy's RC World
Baity's RC
rcdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sounds to me like it may be the brakes dragging when the truck is tilted down due to the calipers having too much space in them. A sure way to fix it is to get some of these OFN40044 springs and put them between the calipers to keep them from dragging and tighten up the space between them. The brake discs will actually tilt and put them in a bind when the calipers have too much gap.
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote