R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #181
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 126
Default

Remember most of what we are talking about is laping back markers or being laped.

Racing is great... like that last few posts said don't just move out of the way. Race and understand the situation... especially if your fighting for position or going against a peer somewhat equally skilled driver. Thats the best! and most fun!

I think what UN4RACING says has some merrit. Just be careful how you do this. Really in general racing your peer skilled drivers will expose your weakness and show your strenghts. If someone is coming on your tail sure hold your lines see if they can pass... if they are clearly faster and riding your tail like a mad dog you may consider (or prehaps should) letting them by.

If your getting laped you can hold your line for a little bit and perhaps hold them off a bit, but if it's clear your just holding up a lead common race etiquette is to take a slight line adjustment outside or the less desired line and let them by. By all means choose a good place on the track to do this if you can. That way you don't loose any time.

-Don
Don Duct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #182
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay0k View Post
You say this like I do it every time I might close up on somebody, and within 1 second of them not letting up I just hit them. That is not how I think it works...

No, that's completely off. You like to think that I believe that just because I got tapped it means all bets are off and it's time to go wild on them - that's not what I'm saying at all.

That's great and all, but this is a discussion about r/c car racing etiqutte not psychology 101.

The problem is that these people are usually less skilled or just being assholes and will take you out by ramming into you full throttle from behind once you actually get past them, and it's frustrating and unfair.

I'm not looking for ethics in somebody that would just hit me or block me for no reason because they obviously have no morals when it comes to racing. And I don't care if you think it's wrong, if you get hit for me it's fair to hit them back. Now I said before, I've tried to be nice but with alot of people, it simply doesn't work.

I personally don't care for the rest of this, I'm not looking for manners, I'm just saying what I think is right, what I'll do in certain situations, etc...
No it's not fair to hit someone because they 'hit' you!! Thats the point.
And maybe you should be looking for manners here.............

Maybe they hit you not out of malice but for some other reason. Or maybe it was out of malice.
It still does not give you or anyone else the right to shunt them off the track.

But thats me............ I see you have a different opinion and I should respect that. So...

I apologise to you for the remarks I made about what you have written. I believe we both want the same thing for rc racing but have different..................opinions and personalities, shall I say. You are obviously a very good driver and I wish you well in your rc endevous.
Again I'm sorry for my gripes at you.

Regards,
British Menace
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #183
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Duct View Post
Remember most of what we are talking about is laping back markers or being laped.

Racing is great... like that last few posts said don't just move out of the way. Race and understand the situation... especially if your fighting for position or going against a peer somewhat equally skilled driver. Thats the best! and most fun!

I think what UN4RACING says has some merrit. Just be careful how you do this. Really in general racing your peer skilled drivers will expose your weakness and show your strenghts. If someone is coming on your tail sure hold your lines see if they can pass... if they are clearly faster and riding your tail like a mad dog you may consider (or prehaps should) letting them by.

If your getting laped you can hold your line for a little bit and perhaps hold them off a bit, but if it's clear your just holding up a lead common race etiquette is to take a slight line adjustment outside or the less desired line and let them by. By all means choose a good place on the track to do this if you can. That way you don't loose any time.

-Don
Nicely put Don !!

British Menace
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #184
Tech Lord
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Duct View Post
Remember most of what we are talking about is laping back markers or being laped.

Racing is great... like that last few posts said don't just move out of the way. Race and understand the situation... especially if your fighting for position or going against a peer somewhat equally skilled driver. Thats the best! and most fun!

I think what UN4RACING says has some merrit. Just be careful how you do this. Really in general racing your peer skilled drivers will expose your weakness and show your strenghts. If someone is coming on your tail sure hold your lines see if they can pass... if they are clearly faster and riding your tail like a mad dog you may consider (or prehaps should) letting them by.

If your getting laped you can hold your line for a little bit and perhaps hold them off a bit, but if it's clear your just holding up a lead common race etiquette is to take a slight line adjustment outside or the less desired line and let them by. By all means choose a good place on the track to do this if you can. That way you don't loose any time.

-Don
I think you have pretty well summed it up for me. Gentlemen racing makes for a better racing experience. I think we can all agree that letting a faster person by is the proper thing to do. Just knowing when and where is the trick.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #185
Tech Regular
 
viperbill1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pensacola,fl
Posts: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to viperbill1963
Lightbulb let the leaders pass

as i am a new driver to offroad nitro its my general feeling is that when the leaders are coming up on you to pass ,just communicate to the leader when your going wide or which side to pass him on just as a curtesy.he wants by you asap and you dont want to get runned over or booted out of the way nobodys wins that way and parts will break and tempers will flair feeling will get hurt ect...ect... just remember we are here for fun and enjoyment.
__________________
team associated RC8.2E tekin esc and motor jr z9100s servo spektrum rx
X-FACTORY X-6 square tekin esc lrp motor spektrum rx soon to be a cube
viperbill1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #186
Tech Elite
 
DOMIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Posts: 4,034
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT
Default

Here's my take on this: (as one of the slower guys...)

If someone is trying to put me a lap down, for the FIRST time in the race... it's game on. I'll race them as hard as I can to stay on the lead lap. If they come up on me a second time... (or third, etc.) I'll try to get out of the way... maybe tell them "leader, go inside" and swing wide...

If I let them by, and they make a mistake and I pass them while they're waiting for a marshal... that's their problem. I might give way ONCE more, but if they keep making mistakes (I've seen it before) then I'm not going to sacrifice my line to keep letting them past. I have enough trouble keeping the car between the pipes without worrying about getting out of someone's way repeatedly.
__________________
Brad "DOMIT" Smith - I'm not fast, but at least I wreck a lot.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #187
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Well here's an aspect not mentioned.
The other night we had a low head count and I had to run with the fast puppies.

It was a fun night with some great racing but the fun part was trying to hold a tight line and keep the fast guys from passing. It was a loud night and a lot of encouraging cheering to hold them off and make him earn the pass.

You can see the fast line following for about 2 turns then hes a ghost.

But try to hold a guy off for a few turns and you will see your weak points.
When a fast guys passes on the out side in the fluff you know hes good. But when he cant get by other than for you to go wide he needs some more practice.

People love to see this kind of stuff when just watching the race.
Its great pressure for practice racing on club nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
For myself when I'm leading I can see how close they can get with out hitting me and force the mistake. When I would start to open the door I would shut it real quick with some braking and hold them off. But Rusty just powers wide and goes around. Freaking faster than a shadow driver.

But its good practice to race and hold of the opponent. It all depends of coarse some times there's things on the line and respect has to be there.

Also I can charge a turn and catch a faster racer but it never pays off. I either hit them or I over shoot the turn. The pros roll up more than charge.
This mentality is exactly why this discussion so quickly got out of hand.
While it may be entertaining for those watching your heat on a club night, it's also reason why they'll be complaints the next time you request to bump up to run with the fast boys when there's another low turnout, and it's also reason why people get aggrevated when you keep cutting them off --- since you're not racing them for position but only impeding their process and holding them up --- and the shunt, bump and slam and run concept enters into their minds and the discussion.


The truth is that there is nothing to be learned by holding up the leaders and chopping their lines to keep from going another lap down. The fast guys don't do it and don't need to do it because they hold off their followers by running smooth perfect laps and not being all over the place, and you might actually learn something by following their lead instead of suggesting they'll disappear like ghosts.


The thing is that the idea of courtesy and good manners and sportsmanship is a two-way street --- and if you don't give it, you ain't gonna get it in return. But since you're the underling, as in the backmarker or new guy or slow person, you're the one that in the position of having to earn others' respect and not the other way around. The experienced guys have already earned their dues and the respect of the other racers by doing it the right way, and you'll go a lot further and get respect a lot sooner by giving some respect instead of expecting it just because you have a car.


So while so of you are so vehemently defending your idea of protecting your position --- which you're not because you're already trailing the leaders by at least one lap (likely more) and it's time your not going to be able to make up with your lack of skills, since you are already down that amount as to your own makings --- that if you don't like the idea of just getting slammed or run over, and consider it unsportsmanlike, that you follow some simple courtesies and show some sportsmanship yorself and move over and that way the faster guys will think twice about punting you when they come up on you next time whether it be later that race or next week or next month. Because the reputation of a hammer or a blocker is hard to live down, while that of a clean driver is always remembered, appreciated by your peers, and makes it much easier to get some advice or beg a spare part.
move over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 AM   #188
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 121
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by move over View Post
The thing is that the idea of courtesy and good manners and sportsmanship is a two-way street --- and if you don't give it, you ain't gonna get it in return. But since you're the underling, as in the backmarker or new guy or slow person, you're the one that in the position of having to earn others' respect and not the other way around. The experienced guys have already earned their dues and the respect of the other racers by doing it the right way, and you'll go a lot further and get respect a lot sooner by giving some respect instead of expecting it just because you have a car.

Because the reputation of a hammer or a blocker is hard to live down, while that of a clean driver is always remembered, appreciated by your peers, and makes it much easier to get some advice or beg a spare part.
+1

well said
__________________
"the words cheap and fast should not be used in the same sentence"
oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #189
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by move over View Post
This mentality is exactly why this discussion so quickly got out of hand.
While it may be entertaining for those watching your heat on a club night, it's also reason why they'll be complaints the next time you request to bump up to run with the fast boys when there's another low turnout, and it's also reason why people get aggrevated when you keep cutting them off --- since you're not racing them for position but only impeding their process and holding them up --- and the shunt, bump and slam and run concept enters into their minds and the discussion.


The truth is that there is nothing to be learned by holding up the leaders and chopping their lines to keep from going another lap down. The fast guys don't do it and don't need to do it because they hold off their followers by running smooth perfect laps and not being all over the place, and you might actually learn something by following their lead instead of suggesting they'll disappear like ghosts.


The thing is that the idea of courtesy and good manners and sportsmanship is a two-way street --- and if you don't give it, you ain't gonna get it in return. But since you're the underling, as in the backmarker or new guy or slow person, you're the one that in the position of having to earn others' respect and not the other way around. The experienced guys have already earned their dues and the respect of the other racers by doing it the right way, and you'll go a lot further and get respect a lot sooner by giving some respect instead of expecting it just because you have a car.


So while so of you are so vehemently defending your idea of protecting your position --- which you're not because you're already trailing the leaders by at least one lap (likely more) and it's time your not going to be able to make up with your lack of skills, since you are already down that amount as to your own makings --- that if you don't like the idea of just getting slammed or run over, and consider it unsportsmanlike, that you follow some simple courtesies and show some sportsmanship yorself and move over and that way the faster guys will think twice about punting you when they come up on you next time whether it be later that race or next week or next month. Because the reputation of a hammer or a blocker is hard to live down, while that of a clean driver is always remembered, appreciated by your peers, and makes it much easier to get some advice or beg a spare part.
While I agree with alot of what you are saying here, 99.9% of it actually.

Why do I still detect this underlying threat in what you and alot of others on here are saying.

The "............ move over or else" type of feeling is what I get from some posts on here.
Respect is not something you ern, it's something that is 'given', or is lossed.........very easily actually.

Weather someone wants to pull over and let you by, wants to race you because he thinks he's just as fast, or has had a poor start and is already a couple of laps down after a crash. A beginner who doesn't know any better........it all doesn't really matter.
Why do people think they should have a reason before they do something like shunt them off the track or run over them? And then justify what they have done based on that reason?

They may well have driven badly, they may well have hacked you off, not let you by or caused you to break your car but none of this should give reason enough to do the same or similar to them................ just means your as bad as they are. A bad, poor or unsportsmanlike act is just that, weather done in spite, ignorence or as revenge and retaliation.

This ".......... do what I think is right or else" feeling I get from some posts on here, is...... unerving! Or am I just in the minority here?

Regards,
British Menace

PS: Good thread by the way. Good posts and discussions.
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #190
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
While I agree with alot of what you are saying here, 99.9% of it actually.

Why do I still detect this underlying threat in what you and alot of others on here are saying.

The "............ move over or else" type of feeling is what I get from some posts on here.
Respect is not something you ern, it's something that is 'given', or is lossed.........very easily actually.

Weather someone wants to pull over and let you by, wants to race you because he thinks he's just as fast, or has had a poor start and is already a couple of laps down after a crash. A beginner who doesn't know any better........it all doesn't really matter.
Why do people think they should have a reason before they do something like shunt them off the track or run over them? And then justify what they have done based on that reason?

They may well have driven badly, they may well have hacked you off, not let you by or caused you to break your car but none of this should give reason enough to do the same or similar to them................ just means your as bad as they are. A bad, poor or unsportsmanlike act is just that, weather done in spite, ignorence or as revenge and retaliation.

This ".......... do what I think is right or else" feeling I get from some posts on here, is...... unerving! Or am I just in the minority here?

Regards,
British Menace

PS: Good thread by the way. Good posts and discussions.

I agree, good posts and discussions here. It's good to get issues out here in the open and maybe as a way to open peoples' eyes and minds to the flip side of the coin or to put the shoe on the other foot.


The way I see the whole "respect" issue that's being discussed is almost as if it's a generational sort of thing. Maybe that it's because in my day we grew up being taught to respect our elders, whether that be someone older than us or someone with more experience, whereas today I see more and more kids of the mind that they don't have to give respect if they aren't given any --- they expect to be respected first, instead of it being the other way around.


The point I was trying to make in my previous posting ---- when you're the new guy at the track, or a lesser experienced racer --- that it's a lot easier to earn the respect of the other guys at the track by becoming known as a clean driver that heeds to faster traffic than it is by getting the reputation as that of a chopper or a hammer.


I think that anyone that is an experienced enough of a racer knows the difference between getting run down to be lapped and just getting a bad start. There again under those circumstances I've found moving over to be the prudent thing to do.


I guess the whole point of it all is that you're only going to get what you're willing to give, and in that case it does matter. If you don't want to get punted off the track, or gain a reputation as a blocker or a chopper, to keep in mind that you're only going to be given what you deserve.


Ultimately I find the "I ain't movin' over for nobody" mentality that seems to have pervaided this discussion just as unnerving, for then it takes racing from being a test of skills to that of a test of wills.
move over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #191
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 57
Default

Ok i Got one for you guys, when does the slower guy start racing people to learn how to race someone side-by-side and be clean! I have in the past race the leader for alittle bit for this reason, but he was by his self. i talked to him afterwards and he seemed ok. But if the leaders was racing fp then i would try my best to get out of the way.

Now heres another one! (on anygiven race day)LOL why should a person give up and not race the other racers even when they are lapped , because that person can still win, you never know when the leaders will go out with problem and cant finish or came back out and they are behind you, now you (the slow guy is racing to win).
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #192
Tech Master
 
Merciless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,027
Send a message via ICQ to Merciless
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
Ok i Got one for you guys, when does the slower guy start racing people to learn how to race someone side-by-side and be clean! I have in the past race the leader for alittle bit for this reason, but he was by his self. i talked to him afterwards and he seemed ok. But if the leaders was racing fp then i would try my best to get out of the way.

Now heres another one! (on anygiven race day)LOL why should a person give up and not race the other racers even when they are lapped , because that person can still win, you never know when the leaders will go out with problem and cant finish or came back out and they are behind you, now you (the slow guy is racing to win).
I often "race" with the people I'm lapping at club level, It's always fun. If i'm leading by a margin I just shout to them just to letting them know I'm happy to race them FP. Or when they ask where I want to pass I just let them know then "happy to race FP".

For your second one that's easy. Race the people around you to learn (If you running in 9th well your racing those in 8th and 10th) not the Leader. It's NOT giving up, It's being adult enough to understand there race is one that your not part of at this moment in time.

Surely everyones worked out they do SLOWER lap times when "racing FP" than when they can take there own line around the track ?

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #193
Tech Master
 
Merciless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,027
Send a message via ICQ to Merciless
Default

BlackBart,

There's a million and more "what If ?" sceneraio's

What if just after I let the leaders through to lap me. A flying saucer landed, 2 little green men appeared on the drivers stand and abducted BOTH 1st and 2nd place drivers !!! Should I have moved over to allow them through when lapping me, Or as they were going to be abducted on the next lap anyway, would blocking have been acceptable ?????

Lolzz

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #194
Tech Adept
 
David Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Posts: 128
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Day Send a message via MSN to David Day Send a message via Yahoo to David Day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
BlackBart,

There's a million and more "what If ?" sceneraio's

What if just after I let the leaders through to lap me. A flying saucer landed, 2 little green men appeared on the drivers stand and abducted BOTH 1st and 2nd place drivers !!! Should I have moved over to allow them through when lapping me, Or as they were going to be abducted on the next lap anyway, would blocking have been acceptable ?????

Lolzz

Rod
I believe the blocking during the abduction scenario to be the wise thing to do.
__________________
Day Brothers Racing
*http://daybrosracing.webege.com*
2nd Place 2006 Winter Series 10th/Scale Gas @ Lake Havasu RC Raceway
RC10GT - Snoopy #5x
Kyosho Inferno777 WC SP2
David Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #195
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
BlackBart,

There's a million and more "what If ?" sceneraio's

What if just after I let the leaders through to lap me. A flying saucer landed, 2 little green men appeared on the drivers stand and abducted BOTH 1st and 2nd place drivers !!! Should I have moved over to allow them through when lapping me, Or as they were going to be abducted on the next lap anyway, would blocking have been acceptable ?????

Lolzz

Rod

Of course not silly. They'd use their sonic ray guns to change the track layout --- kinda like the whole Crop Circles thingy ---- or just vaporize them, just to mess up the leaders and everyone else back to 8th place just so BlackBart could win.
Everybody knows that
move over is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK stupid ? shawn17 Monster Trucks 25 05-20-2007 01:00 AM
How stupid you can be on RC ? Tabushi Electric Off-Road 10 01-27-2007 07:48 AM
Sportsmanship at FSEARA races BullFrog Florida Racing 76 05-22-2006 10:55 PM
would that be stupid Rasmus TbEvo IV Electric On-Road 3 12-09-2005 02:51 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:44 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net