enclosed trailer a must for rc racing >

enclosed trailer a must for rc racing

Like Tree1Likes

enclosed trailer a must for rc racing

Old 08-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oxymoron
last I checked they've been pulling trailers with cars for as long as cars have been around, which I think is longer than trucks have been around

but it's been my experience that fwd cars make the ultimate tow vehicles. since the front wheels are "pulling" the entire load things don't get as squirly as quickly or as easily as rear wheel drive tow platforms - of course you're not going to get the job done towing some monstrocity of a house trailer with a honda civic
if that is how you all roll....fine......

i prefer to do it safely........not only do you have to pull, you need to stop......

i will wave as i pas in my crew cab duramax.....all the while getting 15 mpg.....
Old 08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mr. losi
all the while getting 15 mpg.....
THAT'S IT, 15 mpg ????????
Old 08-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by move over
Yea but those things get 15 mpg pulling even heavy weight trailers, going a good speed, maintaining speed up hills, and as said before they can stop the trailer. They are designed to pull trailers. If you put a trailer behind a station wagon you can just watch your gas milage disapear, and have fun when you hit the nice big hills, station wagons just plain are not designed to pull trailers guys.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

When determining how much vehicle you need to pull a trailer, don't forget to factor in the weight of all materials your going to include. I know what your thinking, right now you probably throw all your gear in the back of a car and head to the track and that isn't much weight. Well, when you have a trailer, you tend to acquire much more gear and conveniences. I posted earlier all the things included in my trailer. Well, when I first bought my trailer I almost couldn't fit it in the garage because of the height. There was just enough room for the trailer and a sheet of paper. Well, after loading her up with everything, I now have 3" of space above the trailer.

I added alot of necessities and even more conveniences. Not too mention I wanted to cover all the ugly raw wood with finished surfaces. Be realistic and factor in much more weight then you think you will need. Heck I bet a generator probably weighs more then all your current RC gear. That will probably be the first thing you end up getting for those races that don't have power readily available.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr. losi
if that is how you all roll....fine......

i prefer to do it safely........not only do you have to pull, you need to stop......

i will wave as i pas in my crew cab duramax.....all the while getting 15 mpg.....
me too...
my '06 dmax loves to pull.....
Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default TOWING

MY TOYOTA FJ CRUISER = 4X4, 5,000 POUNDS CAPACITY...4 DR (SUICIDE REAR) PLENTY OF BALLS FOR SMALLER TRAILER....V6 257HP...AND DAMN GOOD BRAKES
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

and I, will pull with my Cummins
Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by move over
LOL. 15mpg would be nice from my half ton. On the highway for 8 hours cruise set at 70 my 4x4 Supercrew is lucky to get 13mpg. Around town I have gotten as good as 11 before. Normal mileage is between 9-10.

move over-- you have some killer trailers around your area. J/K. That was funny.

I'll probably dump this truck sometime and pick up a used 3/4 ton diesel for towing/pulling and then a used car for running around.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone know what enclosed trailers compare to the Haulmark and Doolittle brands? There is a Doolittle dealer near me and those trailers look nice, but I don't know what they go for.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd stick with HaulMark or Featherlite, or Millennium Trailers
Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

feather lite...nice....

haulmark is pretty good.....dont have doolittle around here
Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

featherlite is second to none.... haulmark and pace are nearly the same. i would stick with one of these three if i were you.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

07' Cummins dodge~~~~~~~~~~~

We get over 15 pulling a fully loaded racecar trailer with a sprintcar, quad, 8 extra tires, spares, full rolling pitcart.

We've resorted to running the truck on aged Hennessey though, it's cheaper than diesel at the pump.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stump27
featherlite is second to none.... haulmark and pace are nearly the same. i would stick with one of these three if i were you.

TPD should be second on that list Leave that haulmark and pace junk to mobile storage
Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Don't skimp on quality with trailers. I know, I had to buy 2 after the first one was from a "new" company. It was junk and wasn't engineered right. It towed terribly. It cost me a couple grand to learn a lesson and buy the right trailer the first time. Get the options installed at the factory, it's waaaaay cheaper than doing it yourself and looks better. Yeah it's more upfront, but well worth it. Again, I learned the hard way. This one is fully finished inside and is wired for 110 V and has 12V lighting. The only thing I wish I would have ordered was the generator storage compartment and AC supports. I could have added the AC unit later if the supports were in the roof. Haulmark, Pace, etc are all quality trailers. Mine is a Rance Renegade all aluminum trailer. Weighs 2400 lbs unloaded. I think most 20ft trailers like mine with a V nose in steel would be over 5k. Behind my Duramax, it wouldn't matter how much it weighed. I tried pulling this trailer with my 2003 1/2 ton Chevy, and while it had the power to pull it, I had a tough time stopping it when it was loaded with my race sleds and support equipment. Midsize cars are not meant to pull enclosed trailers unless they are small and narrow. Too much wind resistance, you will end up with tranny problems sooner or later. I went through 3 trannies on my MX6 Mazda trying to pull a single open snowmobile trailer. Just because your car has the power to pull something, it doesn't mean it can be done safely. Make sure you can stop it at highway speeds. I don't care how many sleds, 4 wheelers, pit bikes, tools etc. are in the back, my truck will pull and stop it. A 3/4 ton is a must with a heavier load. No more white knuckle trips through Canada on the way to Michigan with this rig. Now I can relax. I just can't afford to put diesel fuel in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.