R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default carb rebuild tips?

I need to go over my carb on my OS 21vg. Does anyone have a good link on how to do this properly? I plan to clean the outside, take it off the engine, unscrew the HSN, LSN, and idle screw (can I?). Clean the whole inside out with denatured alcohol. I'm looking for any dirt in there or torn or hard o-rings then maybe put a dab of green slime on the o-rings if they are still like new or get a carb rebuild kit if needed and just carefully put all the pieces back in. Is there anything I can really do wrong? I though I saw a post here in the last few months about someone screwing up their LSN by not putting it back together correctly or something like that. Let me know any tips I need since I have never done this one before!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Oh yeah. If I take the LSN needle out and loosen the collar around it won't the collar come off, allowing me to take the rubber slide boot off and take out the whole slide assembly?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr48 View Post
Oh yeah. If I take the LSN needle out and loosen the collar around it won't the collar come off, allowing me to take the rubber slide boot off and take out the whole slide assembly?
To remove the throttle slide, all you need to do is remove the idle screw and remove the boot from the carb body. The slide/boot assembly will then fall out.
lowey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Thanks lowey79, I didn't know that. That should save some frustration or possible damage.

So is there anything I have to be careful about putting the LSN back together? I am thinking now that what I read before is to make sure the slide is pulled out while you screw the LSN back to flush setting so it is not crashing against the spray bar. Kind of like you shouldn't turn the idle screw clockwise without opening the carb some. That's about how complicated this whole thing should be right??
Old 08-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Talking

Well, that was easy

Don't know what I read before but the tip about taking the slide out was about the only advice I needed. Do not try to force out your slide without removing the idle needle first. The needle rides in a groove in the slide and prevents the slide from rotating and coming all of the way out. Try to pull on the slide without removing the idle needle and you will damage something for sure.

I found a little sliver of some kind of gelatin like stuff inside the banjo fitting on the HSN assembly like some gelled fuel or who knows. Also, all of the o-rings had a lot more dirt around them and starting to work its way inside than I would have liked to see. So hopefully between the two things being cleaned my tuning issues will go away!

Don't forget to clean your carb if you think you have checked everything you can. Never know when something can get in there and anything in the needles no matter how small will mess with you.

Hope I don't need to come back here for this topic EVER!