Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF801XT

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The drive pins are seated just right, about halfway. After 6 runs including jumps and crashes (because I can drive it harder now!) no problems. I turned my dual-rate to 70% to reduce the large increase in turning ability. I'm still looking to do a rear buggy tower/shock mod so I can use the rc8t risers. Overall, very happy with my result. Might try the rear arms while I'm at it.

Shame about the kyosho shafts won't work with xray arms, this stuff gets expensive fast but thanks for taking the plunge. What length bone do you need, I can measure a few I have if you want.

I'd like to add that the TRF c-hubs would fit the rc8t arms with minor dremeling (1.5 - 2mm removed from trf c-hub or rc8t arm). Only problem would be finding the right length bone. Not sure if the rc8t bone would work but didn't try. The TRF uses a thicker outer hinge-pin so the outer hinge-pin hole would have to be drilled wider on rc8t arm.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tman4wdr
The drive pins are seated just right, about halfway. After 6 runs including jumps and crashes (because I can drive it harder now!) no problems. I turned my dual-rate to 70% to reduce the large increase in turning ability. I'm still looking to do a rear buggy tower/shock mod so I can use the rc8t risers. Overall, very happy with my result. Might try the rear arms while I'm at it.

Shame about the kyosho shafts won't work with xray arms, this stuff gets expensive fast but thanks for taking the plunge. What length bone do you need, I can measure a few I have if you want.

I'd like to add that the TRF c-hubs would fit the rc8t arms with minor dremeling (1.5 - 2mm removed from trf c-hub or rc8t arm). Only problem would be finding the right length bone. Not sure if the rc8t bone would work but didn't try. The TRF uses a thicker outer hinge-pin so the outer hinge-pin hole would have to be drilled wider on rc8t arm.
Yeah, the quest continues because I really love the truck but scared about the arms.

So you're saying if you use the 801X buggy rear shock tower and shocks on the front you can use the RC8T risers?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

As far as the Kyosho shafts they measure 138.30 from the center of the dogbone pin to the point where the bearing seats. I mocked it up and on the up travel of the arm the bone just comes right out of the drive cup.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gloveberg
Yeah, the quest continues because I really love the truck but scared about the arms.

So you're saying if you use the 801X buggy rear shock tower and shocks on the front you can use the RC8T risers?
I don't know for a fact I could use the risers with buggy rear shocks mod. But after comparing to the rc8t, I think it would work.

For a bone that works, did anyone ever try the xray bones?

I was able to use the rc8t front sway bar by dremeling a bit of material where the sway bar sits in the bulkhead.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Well I'm a dumbass. I was talking to Crash80 about the Kyosho bones coming out of the drive cups and he asked me if I had adjusted the top camber links to compensate for the shorter arms.......uhhhhh.....no.

I adjusted the camber links and the bones sit in the drive cups much better. This may be what I'm looking for.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Same thing happened to me while doing my swap, lol!

I'd like to see how it looks with kyosho shafts and xray arms if you get a chance.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Here goes....

Some minor dremeling on the inside of the Xray arms for the c-hubs to fit smoothly

Also making some clearance in the c-hubs for the Kyosho universals to fit and not bind

An extra 2mm shim is a perfect fit on the inner hinge pin

Shocks and sway bars fit right in

Crash80 just used the Xray bushings and hinge pin as they intended but I drilled them out and used the Tamiya hinge pin and locknut

Not too shabby

Old 06-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Tech Champion

The arm on the far side in the first pic looks kind of dodgy... Looks thin on that side.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

The shock fitting right in the xray arm is great. That's a superior mount to what I have with the rc8t arms, no doubt.

It does look a little thin in the first pic where the arm had to be dremeled to clear the c-hub but maybe that's an optical illusion.

If you move both the inner hinge-pin spacers to the rear of the arm would it allow the droop tab to be lined up better?

Either way, looks like you've definitely pulled it off, nice work. What was the final cost?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
The arm on the far side in the first pic looks kind of dodgy... Looks thin on that side.
It's just the angle I took the picture from to show where I dremeled some. Believe me, it's plenty thick.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Looks good Gloveberg, now load it up and come race with us!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tman4wdr

If you move both the inner hinge-pin spacers to the rear of the arm would it allow the droop tab to be lined up better?

Either way, looks like you've definitely pulled it off, nice work. What was the final cost?
Not sure but what we talked about was instead of using a set screw like stock using maybe a button head screw from underneath to set that.

Gotta give credit to Crash80 and W_dupree for the ideas though. I just followed what they did.

Xray:
Arms -$8 each
Bushings - $5 (2 sets in a package)
Hinge pins - $8 ( if you don't use the Tamiya ones)

Kyosho
Universal shafts - $33 (pair)

I bought rear arms and shafts but didn't install them yet. Figured I'd wait and see and if the rear arms do break I'd switch them over.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by crash80
Looks good Gloveberg, now load it up and come race with us!
Rub it in man
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM
TZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gloveberg
Rub it in man
I'll swing by, pick it up and durability test it for ya tonight
Old 06-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone interested in some stock long arms and driveshafts? I have 2 front arms and 3 rear arms and 4 driveshafts that I don't need anymore. They where not used much. Still in like new condition. I'd take 40$ shipped in the US only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.