R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Day Send a message via MSN to David Day Send a message via Yahoo to David Day

Many will say the Losi 8, which is a good choice, but I'd prefer the Associated
RC10GT - Snoopy #5x
Kyosho Inferno777 WC SP2
David Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Send a message via MSN to MBR52 Send a message via Yahoo to MBR52

Yeah, I'd say the Losi 8ight. At first out of the box the car is really good, if you have driven before, you'd know like all cars, they all can be setup different ways. It's just a matter of finding that balance and working from that
Mugen MST-1 powered by Novarossi
Associated B44 powered by Novak
MBR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Worst Buggy - Every one else's buggy
Best Buggy- My MBX5R
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by meakinracer View Post
ocm kaos dt19 best buggy, cheap strong handles great turns on a dime
GREAT support through OCM AUSTRALIA
and in the us that does what...... in the us you have holeshothobbies but thats it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMIT View Post
Unless you have owned every buggy on the market how can anyone answer this?
ocm= great buggy once setup to your driving the buggy is awesome and as good as any other.
downfalls weak plastic for front knuckles especially when cold, parts support throughout the us 1 dealer in the us.....

Jammin x1=my 2nd favoriote out of all i have owned parts are tough and it handles like its on rails. and it requires the least amount of setup out of all of them to handle good.

Mugen mbx5 prospec= decent car drove good but didnt steer like i was expecting

Mbx5r= handled better then the prospec and was faster through the ruff stuff but still didnt steer like i would have expected but tough as nails

Rc8= handles better then all of the above to me. turns on a dime but the downfall is 1st run parts had issues but they offered a service pack and it seems to improve the buggy alot another problem wich people are having is tank issues i havent expierenced one yet so i really cant comment on that.

so my order
RC8
Jammin
Ocm
Mugen Mbx5r

thats personal prefrence on what has worked for me
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I will never know what's the best buggy out there, but if you ask me what I like most, it has to be Kyosho and Mugen. Every single design on their part(s) makes sense, if not mystery (which you will eventually find out it's intended purpose) and a trend thereafter

ANyway I took the liberty to find the most hateful buggy I can find.....and here it is

The BaJookaH!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna2793 View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. last time i raced was about 3 years ago at perris lake. I like the associated rc8 & losi 8 what do you guys think about these two buggys pro & cons ?
Ok, so you aren't new to buggies... that changes things.

Both of those are great cars. I had a few issues with the Losi, but nothing bad... if you ever strip a rear ring and pinion... replace them AND the bulkhead at the same time. Parts wear on the drivetrain is a little high, but that is because they've gone to great lengths to keep rotating mass to a minimum. I haven't owned an Associated, so I can't give any productive feedback there.

The Losi does exactly what you tell it... which is great, for a driver with significant skill. It will inspire a HUGE amount of confidence, which in my case tempted me to push it too hard for my skill level... and it would bite me when I did. For the right driver, it's a great performer.

You might take a look at the XRay 808. Awesome car... like a Losi that's been toughened up a bit. Same situation as the Losi in my case though... "too hot" for me to handle. If you are a skillful, smooth driver, it will reward you. One of my buds that went from the Losi to the 808 remarked that it's more forgiving when you push it hard... otherwise VERY similar.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

Default Best and worst buggies

I am hard pressed. I really liked my Kyosho, but also love my Losi. The losi took me a long time to figure out, because I was the only person at my track running one. Once I have the diffs and the suspention tuned like I want it. I am much faster with my 8ight than I was with my Kyosho. But now that I have learned a hard lesson, Drive what other people at the track drive. This gives you a support group when you are running into problems. Trust me I almost left the sport a few times during a few fustrating days. Got the kinks worked out thanks to this and many other forums. At times though it is hard to translate someones words to the the actual model. My caliper is one of my best tools.

Check out the track on race day and walk around and talk to the guys. I have never met anyone in this sport that is not willing to help when asked. Shoot the other day me and a few of the other racers helped a 12 year old kid, who was having problems with his Mayhem. We all got together and tunned him out only to have this young man push me around the track. It was great. He was excited with his 3rd place in his 1st club race in 1/8th. Come to find out he has put his time in on the 1/10th electrics.
Relay8039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ok

the cen matrix is a good buggy and it is not as high priced as those other buggys and i dont break anything like some of the other people at my track and there pretty good drivers too.

but serious its not really the car its the driver behind the car if you well maintance it and keep it clean you can win with anything. its all in your head.
rc31cli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if ur debate is between the losi 8 and rc8 no doubt the rc8 is better..but buggy for buggy

id go wit ether the rc8 or xray 808

the 808 is a steep price thats y i went wit a xray XB8ec which is almost the same and lighter then most buggys
The #1 site for all your nitro needs
egobuster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The best buggy is my VTX B1B

The worst is my VTX B1B when it does'nt run

just get a buggy that you will have fun with and if you just starting out get one that is easy to tune because these dam little toys are frustrating if you don't have patient's they can make a grown man cry!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meakinracer View Post
ocm kaos dt19 best buggy, cheap strong handles great turns on a dime
GREAT support through OCM AUSTRALIA
Were did that come from?
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #27
Suspended

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

The Xray 808 is probably a bit better overall than the Losi (very similar actually) without the quick parts wear of the Losi. The Xray stuff just does not wear out, I've seen the drive shaft pins after a gallon of fuel and they looked like they had just been installed new. It's a bit pricey at first but it's just an awesome car.

But in my opinion, bang for the buck, the Hyper 8.5 wins. Tough car, handles great, parts are inexpensive. It's a bit heavier than most of the others but sometimes that can be a good thing.
FG101C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc31cli View Post
the cen matrix is a good buggy and it is not as high priced as those other buggys and i dont break anything like some of the other people at my track and there pretty good drivers too.

but serious its not really the car its the driver behind the car if you well maintance it and keep it clean you can win with anything. its all in your head.

The Losi 8 kit is on sale right now for anywhere from $404.99 to $449.99, thats a pretty dam good deal in my book.
LosiMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:57 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Sad to see no reference to the up and coming Casterracing ZX-1R.
Very stout buggy and well priced for what you get.
As stable as the Mugen but has more steering.

As for what the guys above have mentioned most recognised brands have good buggies and will have unique niggles with them but all competive and capable in teh right hands.
Biggest factor would be parts support !!!!

as for the Himoto/VTX/Bazzoka they are ideal for bashing but need more tlc.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:39 AM   #30

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

worst are those fly-by-night-nishi-bai-kai-who-flung-dung knockoff buggies from the east that are simply copies of old buggy designs that are now outdated and perhaps have no copyright (for lack of better term) even in the states let alone over there.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote