R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #91
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

This hobby makes people crazy they buy more then needed run things maybe out of their price range. You cannot bitch about the price many options but everyone wants to run the popular stuff its human. I spent way to much money have way too many items but its part of the enjoyment don't bitch cause that's my selection.

People need to realize they don't need to run a OS speed or a Kyosho buy something that's practical people need to stop dumping their personal feeling against a new person recommend something practical with good performance like a HB.

Hobby shop OMG love them but some are far out there not even close but their part of the problem. If a shop charges 15 bucks for P3 "Neebie" finds he can get it online for 8 bucks what does that tell you. Better yet a mom / father walks in they want to buy something they dump 700 bills for a 8ight t 1.0 motor etc and pay over 1600 bones then find out they got rapped who's hurting the hobby ? Why
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Well.... I do think the competition is better with less classes within one scale section.

Run this through a calculator and you will see what is happening.... When you try to setup nationals you have to deal with this, for sure if you can have just a few classes on an event.

To give you an idea: http://www.macdebaanbrekers.nl/insch...n_benelux.html
This event started with 3 classes and now it is 5 (there were 6) with that less drivers per class there is no real competition and most drivers will run the main final.... WOW! that is real racing

So yes, I do think manufacturers, racing organisations and the clubs have to sit on one line deciding what they gonna support.
Thanks for the primer on electric touring classes. That's exactly why electric touring died.

To be blunt, I don't think there is a lot of incentive for manufacturers to sort out the mess with touring car classes (in the US, at least). Why bother, when SCT is popular and generating a lot of sales?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #93
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071crazy View Post
Why bother, when SCT is popular and generating a lot of sales?

SCT may be very populair but is there enough interest for a competition. Do not get me wrong but the in gas racing the RTR 1/10 touring and buggies are very populair and have a wide market but the people buying such cars do not have any interest in driving competitions or any other kind of organised race at a track..
Old 06-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Quote:
SCT may be very populair but is there enough interest for a competition. Do not get me wrong but the in gas racing the RTR 1/10 touring and buggies are very populair and have a wide market but the people buying such cars do not have any interest in driving competitions or any other kind of organised race at a track..
ALOT of 10th scale tracks, have more SC racers than buggy. SC has bumped staduim trucks. So yes plenty of competition. They were big at Nats as well.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #95
Tech Elite

Quote:
Take a look at any major 1/10th offroad race in the US, or any club race for that matter. I can provide you with further examples, please feel free to PM me. Have a good day.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #96
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

In europe these things stays with the parking lot drivers.... it is somekind of an attitude which is very difficult to change.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #97
Tech Master

SCT, the savior of off-road. True to a certain extent. But it also developed weirdos that think anything other than SCT is not racing because it doesn't look "real". I also came back into the off-road scene with a SC10, but also stepped into 1/8th later. I still run the SCT class because they are challenging to drive on our dusty track. It teaches you smooth steering/throttle control.

where is RC racing headed? like someone posted a while back, it depends on how we can get newer generations to participate. But too many people these days forget that they need to work hard to earn that podium finish.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Quote:
In europe these things stays with the parking lot drivers.... it is somekind of an attitude which is very difficult to change.
Well, it's different in the US. Just remember that your "touring cars" started in the parking lot as well. Unless I'm mistaken.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Funny stuff

I don't understand the kids who don't work on their cars. It's broken daaaad...Fix it....Dad , daaad....

I remember a kid when I was 19, it was 1991, his dad worked on his car. The weird thing is the kid went on to become a mechanical engineer and work for an rc car company. WTF....
Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Trends come and go and only the tough are in it for the long haul. If the economy can hold and people have a little pocket cash, it will all be good.
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #101
Tech Champion

I had a race truggy and buggy(AE), and sold them for a variety of reasons.. At the time new truggy stuff was coming out all the time and it was pissing me off.. AKA tires were making my Proline tires stash "obsolete", same with my new expensive airbrushed "old" style body I'd just paid a fortune for as all the new style ones were coming out.. Then there was the weather - cancelling half the races over about two years, so there I was with a fortune invested in this RC8T for it to sit around on a shelf.

Then, with the SC8, I felt like racing again.. Went to a friendly local race with mixed classes, and ran the SC8.. Horrible disaster. I left halfway through. The thing jumps like a dump truck with a hug parachute strapped to it.. Completely stupid on my local track.. So now I want to sell it and get a buggy...

I should have just started with 1/8 buggy, and stayed with it. Even truggies in some places are apparently iffy when it comes to numbers.. Buggy is always there though.. More fun to drive too..

I have come to really kind of dislike the whole SC thing.. Great I suppose that it brings people in, and I like the principle that it should be affordable and RTR-ish with a more level playing field, but as a trend I find it annoying and gimmicky... Ultimately it's likely to be a passing trend. SC is the PRESENT of RC maybe, but I'm not convinced it'll be the FUTURE..
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #102
Tech Adept

I have a feeling that short course racing will ultimatley end up with the same fate as on road, wether it's the race directors making it too many classes, 2wd stock, 2wd mod, 4 wd stock, 4wd unlimited etc etc etc, what happened to novice, sportsman, and expert. also we racers are to blame, stock sucks, so i'll invest in an ESC with Boost, and make my stock truck run like a mod truck in the stock class. and because the motorcan says 17.5 they wont know I'm cheating. I apologise if I sound like I have a negative attitude, but I'm starting to see where all the different classes is taking away from the fun of racing.
rc_racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #103
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default the future

I have never seen so many new buggys and motors ever! The future looks very bright.
fun hawg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I had a race truggy and buggy(AE), and sold them for a variety of reasons.. At the time new truggy stuff was coming out all the time and it was pissing me off.. AKA tires were making my Proline tires stash "obsolete", same with my new expensive airbrushed "old" style body I'd just paid a fortune for as all the new style ones were coming out.. Then there was the weather - cancelling half the races over about two years, so there I was with a fortune invested in this RC8T for it to sit around on a shelf.

Then, with the SC8, I felt like racing again.. Went to a friendly local race with mixed classes, and ran the SC8.. Horrible disaster. I left halfway through. The thing jumps like a dump truck with a hug parachute strapped to it.. Completely stupid on my local track.. So now I want to sell it and get a buggy...

I should have just started with 1/8 buggy, and stayed with it. Even truggies in some places are apparently iffy when it comes to numbers.. Buggy is always there though.. More fun to drive too..

I have come to really kind of dislike the whole SC thing.. Great I suppose that it brings people in, and I like the principle that it should be affordable and RTR-ish with a more level playing field, but as a trend I find it annoying and gimmicky... Ultimately it's likely to be a passing trend. SC is the PRESENT of RC maybe, but I'm not convinced it'll be the FUTURE..
this is the one thing i love about mugen. Other buggys keep coming and re-releasing. Mugen keeps the same platform and makes running changes (very small if any). Sure the might come out with a mbx6r eventually, but it's nothing like some of the buggies today. I would not be able to stand it if i owned an xray. cars like Kyosho, mugen, HB, and losi are all solid for this reason. Like you, tires drive me crazy, buy some new premounts and they come out with a better insert or tire, rim, compound etc. Just run what you know works.

Mugen
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote