Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servos making noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

Default Servos making noise

Ok, I just been noticing a weird sound I think is coming from the steering servo....... It sounds like a fax machine tone (single tone...just annoying) Its on and off when you steer, sometimes just taping the wheel will make it quit...but not all the time. The servos are new, only been used once.

They are from: Ace R/C DS1015 Super Torque Digital Servo, and Ace R/C DS1313 Super Torque Digital Servo.

Also the steering servo seems like it has failed.....it will only move to apply brakes...and that is a slow pace, then it will stop once it hits its dead end. Im guessing the servo failed....just dont know what the warranty is. I purchased both from Amain hobbies, in Feb 08' and have like maybe 4hrs on both....

thanks for any advice....
Old 07-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

digital servos usally make that sound, digi servos make that sound, (most)
Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

Ok, so the sound is annoying....I guess I can live with that, as for the throttle servo.....it will not function properly...when I press the trigger(gas) it doesnt respond...however when I push the trigger(brake) it will slowly move to engage the brakes..at which is hardly press's, just goes to the full movement then stops. Knowing that the servo is metal geared.....would the gears somehow be broken(stripped) or would it have just ceased to function? It doesnt make any noise that I can tell (unlike the steering servo). I took a chance with these Ace servos......knowing I should have either went with Futuba, or Airtronics, but I was being cheap :P

The reciever is running fine (Spektrum DSM 2.4ghz Pro) and the Transmitter is my old Airtronics M8. The reciever battery is Ballistics 5cell 2700mah pack....just in case anyone would need this info

Throttle Servo: #1313
Steering Servo: #1015
Old 07-27-2008, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

those digital servos will make more clicking sounds
as your battery is just been loaded up real full
they don't like that, makes for to much voltage
and your battery is a heavy one.....

for the brakes ..check if your travel and endpoints are ok
without the steeringarm on
Old 07-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking Ace servo's need more umphh!!!

I run six of those servos in three of my nitro bugies, the only time i ever had the same symtoms was when my receiver pack had a dead cell in it or where getting a little flat, even my good 1400mah packs start playing up after a 10min run, these servos r power hungry, basicly i run all my radio systems with the spektrum power cap that plugs into the receiver when i run these servos, they act like there on steroids!!! that's what i found!
Other then that i luv these servo's strong and quick!! Do check EPA's as said befor, they do play up when they get hot, and they get hot quick!!

Last edited by blwn06; 07-27-2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: bit more
Old 07-27-2008, 04:27 AM
Tech Adept

Well Im guessing that its dead...I pulled the servo out of the buggy, and tried it on both channels of the reciever. If you hand turn the top of the servo all the way to one side, and press either the gas or brake....it slooooooowly goes, if I press my hand on the top..it stops. You cant hardly even hear the servo move....Do these Ace servos have a tendency to die like this so soon?

Either way....Im not sure if Ace will warranty the servo. Or if I want to waste the time dealing with a RMA case from them.....Anyone got a good idea for a servo?
Id like to find a servo that is pretty close to that on (DS 1313 - .130/173.6oz @6v)
Old 07-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

its probably dead.

this is what most servos sound like, ive been told the sound is normal.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0paqQ8r5ygo
Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

you know I was dicking around with my ace 1015's last night [setting the trim on my radio actually] and all the sudden they did that thing you described, where they wouldnt hardly move, but they are trying. I about had a heart attakc so I shut everything off, and put a new RX battery pack on the car, then they were fine again. Just turns out all my battery packs have gone bad [atleast I hope thats the only problem]
Old 07-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

srac cr ot wen: thanks! thats the sound....ok, so thats not a issue anylonger :P

Allumina: The rx pack is new...charged twice now, I am planning on switching over to LiPo soon......I just hope that the first rx pack didnt cause any of this.

I will state when I noticed the servo, or the cause since I never stated it earlier.
I had broke the car in, and wanted to take it out and finally run a tank or two through it, I noticed I had a 1/4 tank left and wanted to run it out..seeing that it was close to me, I kept running it..when it took off for no reason Im not sure if the servo choose to quit then and there, but Ie never seen a buggy shot off like that before....but it was outta there and the radio was unresponsive at the time...not sure why? I figured the rx pack dumped and the servo was under throttle....well it was stuck wide open, hung up in a bush (thank god...lol) It wasnt like that for but 3 seconds...when I got near it it shut off on its own, like it had run out of fuel..I instantly checked the temp, and it wasnt but 240ish...but it scared the crap out of me So I got it back to the bench and made sure the steering worked ok, and when I pressed the throttle and brake(as I described, it went slow to brake, but not to throttle) Ive since pulled the throttle servo out of the car, and tried it at my house with just the rx pack plugged into the reciever, and only that servo.....Im planning on sending it into Ace for a RMA..and while its there I will just buy a new one....Most likely since I even feel they make a good product, that Ill just buy the same one......and cross my fingers it doesnt happen. I would like to hope that the transmitter was set right, with the end points set correctly......but I will err on the side of caution and double check it next time, before going out again.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

I would definitely try to charge the reciever pack before going any further. If it is a NIHM, they will loose capacity just sitting in the garage (I think I heard/read somewhere that they loose 30% of it's capacity in 1 week just sitting).

The Spektrum will go into failsafe if there is not enough voltage, which sounds exactly like what happened, when you got close to it, it regained it's signal, but there wasn't enough juice in the battery to keep it holding the signal when the car got so far away.

Again, I would check the battery first.

Dave
Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It sounds like the servo's smoked, but be be sure your Rx pack is fully charged before you send it back for repair. Sometimes they false peak, esp. when they're new. When it peaks it should be warm to the touch. But if it's working the steering servo it's probably not battery related. When you install the new servo be sure your EPA's are set properly and nothing is binding. Digital servos are more precise than analog and are constantly centering themselves (that's the hum you hear), so if things are binding even a little the servo will get overworked. BTW, a 2700 mah 5 cell pack doesn't supply any more voltage than a 1000 mah or 1400 or whatever 5 cell pack. They all supply 6 volts, the bigger mah batteries just do it longer. Haven't run the Ace servos but have heard good things from friends that are.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ive had that happen to me before, it shot off a rock hard snow bank and launched like 15 feet, right into a fence. I broke the upper and lower arms on the left side

I would recommend buying a failsafe, they automatically apply the brake when the receiver loses signal or the remote turns off (whos remote turns off while driving?). totally worth the extra 25$

I kinda wish failsafes also applied brake when the receiver battery got weak/dies. maybe if they stored like 5 seconds worth of power just in case??

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...?idproduct=451
Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cjtamu
BTW, a 2700 mah 5 cell pack doesn't supply any more voltage than a 1000 mah or 1400 or whatever 5 cell pack. They all supply 6 volts, the bigger mah batteries just do it longer. Haven't run the Ace servos but have heard good things from friends that are.
yeah exactly. all the "MaH" only means is how much "juice" it holds.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the same setup on my hyper 8.5 pro with a battery I bought on ebay 2600mah

and my servos start jittering like crazy and my specktrum receiver's light starts flashing.

is that a dead battery? do I have to charge this battery at very low amps for like 40 hours?

or do these servos do eat up power?

because I ran this battery full charged for like 30-40min 1 weekend it sat for 7 days ran it again after a 45min charge on the traxxas revo charger and it seemed the battery was dead.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
I have the same setup on my hyper 8.5 pro with a battery I bought on ebay 2600mah

and my servos start jittering like crazy and my specktrum receiver's light starts flashing.

is that a dead battery? do I have to charge this battery at very low amps for like 40 hours?

or do these servos do eat up power?

because I ran this battery full charged for like 30-40min 1 weekend it sat for 7 days ran it again after a 45min charge on the traxxas revo charger and it seemed the battery was dead.
yes it could be from a weak battery in the remote or the receiver.

yes, charging it takes a long time, not 40 hours though.

yes, servos eat up power like crazy, I have a 1600mah battery pack for the receiver and I need to charge it every hour of driving time. in the remote I have 8 rechargeable AA batts, those last about 6 hours driving time.

what charger are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.