Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi product support; Leaves something to be desired. >

Losi product support; Leaves something to be desired.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi product support; Leaves something to be desired.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Losi product support; Leaves something to be desired.

I don't speak up/out about products/support very often, and when I do 95% of the time it is to send praises about a company that I think deserves it. However, I have recently rejoined the hobby and tried a different brand. I recently purchased the Losi 8ight (kit) and 8ight-T (race-roller, it doesn't come in kit form). As for the overall product quality I would rate it pretty good, say 8.5 out of 10. I would like to describe the problems I do have.

The 8ight-T has been a good truck so far, my only complaints being how it was assembled from the factory. It seems they do not take the time to trim plastic parts, glue the tires well, or even fill the differentials entirely. That was not too much trouble to take care of.

The buggy kit seems to be a pretty good product as well. My only complaint here is that my set of Losi tires were so malformed from being torn from their molds (I am guessing) that they do not fit the wheels. There is physically no way to get those tires to seat properly because they are so oversize. I contacted Losi customer support, and this was where the real trouble started.

Losi must have the worst customer support I have found in the r/c industry. I am not saying there isn't worse out there, I just have been able to dodge them until this point. I have called for 2 weeks wanting to see if there is something I can do to make these tires work, or get replacements. If you call the racing support (which is recommended on these models) you simply get a voice mail that doesn't call you back. The other "Horizon support" line given for RTR models always is answered by a support person that tells you a handful of excuses. Excuses from, "every support personnel is in a meeting", "every support personnel is on the phone, let me take your number", to my favorite "let me transfer you to someone that can help you, click (disconnect)", which has happened 6 times. I have asked to hold for someone, and they said sure. I have held the line for over 70 minutes with no one to answer.

I have since purchased new wheels and tires for my 8ight (non Losi) and enjoyed them. However I will evaluate the support before I purchase anymore Losi products.

Update: Make sure to read the rest of the forum. Horizon has provided an excellent resolution. Go Horizon!

Last edited by Larks; 08-15-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Horizon has worked with me to resolve my issues.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Have you tried to get service from the store you purchased the car from? Ask them to replace the tires and take it up with Losi themselves.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Larks
Losi must have the worst customer support I have found in the r/c industry. I am not saying there isn't worse out there, I just have been able to dodge them until this point. I have called for 2 weeks wanting to see if there is something I can do to make these tires work, or get replacements. If you call the racing support (which is recommended on these models) you simply get a voice mail that doesn't call you back. The other "Horizon support" line given for RTR models always is answered by a support person that tells you a handful of excuses. Excuses from, "every support personnel is in a meeting", "every support personnel is on the phone, let me take your number", to my favorite "let me transfer you to someone that can help you, click (disconnect)", which has happened 6 times. I have asked to hold for someone, and they said sure. I have held the line for over 70 minutes with no one to answer.

I have since purchased new wheels and tires for my 8ight (non Losi) and enjoyed them. However I will evaluate the support before I purchase anymore Losi products.
I had one issue with my 8ight when it arrived. The tires were already glued to the rims - poorly. I'm pretty anal about my kits and desire to build everything myself.

That said; I emailed the Losi support team on their website and waited one day. No email, so I went to Horizon and sent their support an email. The next day I had a reply. Although they seemed a bit confused by my email, assuming I had purchased the RTR or Assembled buggy. I replied with all my information again and was taken care of.

Again, my problem was that the tires were pre-glued. I asked for a set of rims and a set of stock tires as a replacement.

A few days later, my mailbox contained a rather large package from Horizon. Inside there was a set of Red Step pins (not silver) and TWO sets of rims. I was happy as a clam.

I tend NOT to call companies for support... ever. The fact is, email speaks VOLUMES; especially if you don't get a reply. You can resend the email and add the peoples addresses that are higher on the food chain.

Allow me to give you some info that I think may solve your problem.

Throw an email out to Horizons support. In the title, include "Attn: Nathan Brady" - he's the guy that helped me out... a lot. Be sure to highlight your problem without being too long winded, then cap it off with what you want and your mailing address. This way they have all the info they need - up front.

I do feel - after reading you post - that you should have and should RECEIVE excellent customer service. Before you send that email, go look over every inch of your car(s) and include ANY and ALL issues with the email, Be extra sure to include all contact and mailing information. Keep it short and to the point. Add part numbers if you desire. Do their job for them without making it look like you're doing their job for them.

All that said; I agree that Losi support has fallen off since 2001. For whatever reason. The last time I had an issue was with the XXX, for which I called the number on the box and got a person that took care of me without question. These days, Losi doesn't write back - and as said, I don't call support anymore. Horizon on the other hand wrote me back - post haste.

Lastly; and this goes to all of you... when/if you do call support, of ANY kind, the first words out of your mouth should always be; "Who is this?" - write down their name. It's amazing how much better service you get when you have the persons name in front of you, and they know you went out of YOUR way to get their name. It might mean their paycheck.

Good luck and please post a follow up!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

I have always had a great experience calling Losi for support. I remember back when the 8ight buggy was first released I called them because a parts bag was left out of my kit. The guy took my info and within 3 days I had the parts bag in my mailbox.

Then shortly after that I was trying to find a setup sheet and they hadn't loaded one on the website for Travis Amezcua yet. I called Losi and asked the tech guy and he actually put me on hold and said, "Hold on a second, I believe Travis is here today." I just knew he was going to give me some BS about, well I thought he was....lol. Well, within about 20 seconds I was talking to Travis about what setup he liked best on the buggy. The best thing was that Travis wasn't trying to rush and get off the phone either. He was very willing to talk about the buggy with me and help me out. I was blown away that they would get a "Pro" to come answer a general tech support question for me.

Also I bought a xxx-nt rtr last year and while I was running it the E-clip on the end of the crankshaft came off and the clutch bell slid forward and the teeth got messed up on the spur gear. Just out of frustration because it was on it's 1st tank I called up Losi customer support once again. Well within just a few days I got a box from losi and it had the complete clutch setup in one bag, clutchbell and bearings, and a new spur gear.

Needless to say I have had EXCELLENT dealings with losi so far.......
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by boostfiend
Lastly; and this goes to all of you... when/if you do call support, of ANY kind, the first words out of your mouth should always be; "Who is this?" - write down their name. It's amazing how much better service you get when you have the persons name in front of you, and they know you went out of YOUR way to get their name. It might mean their paycheck.

This is some of the best advice you will ever receive.

Great post.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have always had nothing but high praise for Losi support. I have never had any problems. My 8 Kit was missing the shock bag and within 4 days it was sitting at my house no questions asked. This is the number I called 1-909--390-9595.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had the press in pin (the center diff end, not the set screw end) come out of the CVA on an 8ight. The car had engine break in and about 20 minutes of track time on it and that was it. However, it was more than a year old since I picked it up from a buddy who built it and never drove it. I called Horizon, no dice. A little understandable since it was more than a year old, but I'd have been glad to ship the part to them to inspect. There aren't even any wear marks on the bone, you can tell it was barely used, but they didn't want to, no offer to try to help. 96 hours ago I e-mailed Losi asking for the diameter of the 8ight sway bars so I know which is which when I read 2.3 mm etc. on a setup sheet. Still waiting for a reply. I'm withholding judgment right now, but certainly no way to impress someone who's always run AE. I've had good service from Horizon in the past with a GM speedo, this time not so much.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I had to cal LOSI support about a issue one time on my 8ight buggy "rear ring and pinion was real tight out of the box so I wondered if all was ok " . They were awsome ........got right through the guy was real knowledgeable. Some times people just have bad luck . Maybe I was lucky .
Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've had great luck with them over the phone, sent a comment by form online and it took 2 weeks for a blow off reply.

I will always call from now on.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

I've never had trouble eather with them. I've been dealling with them sence the middle 90's.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
I've never had trouble eather with them. I've been dealling with them sence the middle 90's.
+1

Are you Sure your calling The Ontario number? 909 number. I dont know if Bill is still there but he would handle anything on the spot. We exchanged I think it was 9 maybe more, Mach .28s that came with my LST at one time together. Id race it, snap the connecting rod send it to him and he would send me a new one. Then when The 8 came out and parts were unavailable I called down there one day and told Jeremy Fellas what parts I had lost and needed and he said give me your address and he would send me his. No cost, free parts, man I didnt think they could be any better. Of course things could have changed since hes not there anymore?? But Ive always had great CS from Losi. Ask for Bill next time, If hes still there he should take care of you 4 sure.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Yeah, the losi buggy is great. The only problem I had is when I bought mine, it had a real bad wobble in the left rear hub, It turned out to be missing a rear wheel bearing, but that was just a minor thing. But I've got nothin but praise 4 Losi
Old 07-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

well i guess you could say i have mixed reviews of horizon.... i am on my second set of jr 9000 servos.. the last time i took my servo in for replacement it took three months to get the new one!!! the worst part is the "new" servo burnt up after the first qualifier.. i then started using my backup and it has lasted all year. still waiting on this replacement........
Old 07-31-2008, 06:31 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

While I'm not sure of the issues with not getting your questions resolved with Horizon Hobby's customer service, I will suggest that people nowadays expect too much in the way of customer service (i.e. I want it my way, and I want it now!).

As far as your complains relative to your RTR, whatever the brand or model, might I suggest you take time to rethink what you think you should be getting for FREE - yes, as in free assembly - and that next time if you want careful nitpicking trimming and fitment of parts, tires glued to your own demanding specs, and diffs filled like it wasn't done on assemblyline that you buy an unassembled kit and do it yourself or actually pay someone to do it and pay them well so you actually have something worthy of complaining about.

It's my opinion while RTRs let a whole lot more people into this hobby, it also attracts those that can't do it themselves or don't want to as well as attracting those that equate buying a toy RC car to buying a real 1:1 car off the showroom floor - and the comparison just ain't right.

If you buy RTR you get what you pay for = nothing!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Dumb Azz ^^^^^^^

He bought a Buggy kit so he is wanting to put it together to his strict standards. He's complaining about the support he got for deformed tires in the KIT. He only metions his ROLLER as being sloppy from factory. And an 8-t is only sold in roller form leaving him no option to fully assemble to his strict standards.

You should read before you reply with your dic headed comments.

Originally Posted by Larks
I recently purchased the Losi 8ight (kit) and 8ight-T (race-roller, it doesn't come in kit form). As for the overall product quality I would rate it pretty good, say 8.5 out of 10. I would like to describe the problems I do have.

It seems they do not take the time to trim plastic parts, glue the tires well, or even fill the differentials entirely. That was not too much trouble to take care of.

My only complaint here is that my set of Losi tires were so malformed from being torn from their molds (I am guessing) that they do not fit the wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.