R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #16
Tech Regular

SLow down and learn the track. Learn to hit the jumps consistently and the corners. I started out way too fast and broke a lot of stuff. I hardly break anything now and although I am not up to full speed yet many at my track think I have a good shot at beating everyone at my first race because I am going at 80% and staying out there without crashing by being consistent and at a good pace. It's a heck of a lot more fun out there when you are in control
Be patient and work up the speed and everything will fall into place.
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr48 View Post
SLow down and learn the track. Learn to hit the jumps consistently and the corners. I started out way too fast and broke a lot of stuff. I hardly break anything now and although I am not up to full speed yet many at my track think I have a good shot at beating everyone at my first race because I am going at 80% and staying out there without crashing by being consistent and at a good pace. It's a heck of a lot more fun out there when you are in control
Be patient and work up the speed and everything will fall into place.
+1, I decided a couple of races ago to slow down and I went from getting 4th place consistently to 2nd, next race I won.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Seems like the consensus is to break a little before the turns roll and throttle out. So this is a good think to practice to help keep on your line.

To Further this conversation, the next topic is about jumping.

As far as I can tell there are two ways of jumping

1) Throttling it is much as needed to clear the area(s) needed.
2) Throttling it to the bottom of the jump, letting off for a milliseccond, followed by more gas, followed by off throttle. Then make any in-air adjustments. I think the idea behind this is that the springs load-up then release, causing a smoother, maybe farther jump using less throttle.

I've been doing a mixture of the two, as I'm still learning the second technique, I often forget to try it :0

What's your favorite "in control" way of jumping?
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

To further the discussion on jumping technique: Looks like the fast guys don't really "air it out" or jump really high and far. Theory is that you are much faster with the wheels on the ground than in the air. I try to do this as often as I can but there is one jump on the back straight where it seems if I hit hard I keep much more momentum into the long back straight.

I guess i'm a little torn on this technique. Your thoughts?
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Different jumps require different things depending on the size of the jump, where the landing area is, how much runup you have, etc. Most times I roll the throttle off and then on just before I leave the jump, but some jumps do better with a nice smooth acceleration into them. You can almost never hit a jump WOT b/c you'll end up compressing the suspension and usually slapping the rear of the chassis and going end over end. I usually try to get my car into the air and down onto the landing area as quickly as possible. Can't put any power down while you're in the air, and I can also control my car a lot better with the wheels on the ground.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
Different jumps require different things depending on the size of the jump, where the landing area is, how much runup you have, etc. Most times I roll the throttle off and then on just before I leave the jump, but some jumps do better with a nice smooth acceleration into them. You can almost never hit a jump WOT b/c you'll end up compressing the suspension and usually slapping the rear of the chassis and going end over end. I usually try to get my car into the air and down onto the landing area as quickly as possible. Can't put any power down while you're in the air, and I can also control my car a lot better with the wheels on the ground.
I understand that no two jumps are alike, and the idea is to land fairly quickly after clearing the obsticle. However, which types of jumps would you use the different techniques and why would you choose that technique in that situation?

For example in our club we have a quick double double right after a corner. I've been trying to use technique #2 for the first double and technique #1 for the second portion. Why? Because I'm too slow for tecnique #2 twice in a row But it it was the right thing to do I would work on improving it.
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
Tech Regular

#2 is called seat-bounce, adapted from motocross. I try it every now and then but I've never found a situation that warranted it. I usually just apply as much throttle as I need to land on the receiver.

For smaller 'speed bump' jumps I usually just floor it and hold the throttle open late to keep the tail down in the air. A lot of you probably notice that these jumps tend to throw the rear up in the air. The downside is that that it hurts your diffs if you don't let off right before you land.

Also, Big +1 to, 'Wheels on the ground is faster.' I passed and got 1st place in a race because the leader went a tad to fast off of our triple. I landed on the receiver and drove right by him as he was landing.
Furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

LOL. Truthfully, whatever gives you the fastest lap times. The track I'm racing this weekend has one jump that you just have to accelerate into and not roll off. Something to do with how steep it is and the lip on it I think. But when they first put in this layout we were all trying to roll off and back into it and nobody could clear it consistently and stay upright so we tried another way. It worked, we kept doing it. Watch the A-main guys at your track, usually what they're doing is the best way. I'm a decent driver but we have some guys around here that are a lot faster than I am. If I have trouble with a section I'll watch the lines the fast guys are taking and also listen to what they're doing with their throttle. It's not just for jumps, look at the corners and the rhythm sections too and see what they're doing. Jumping is a blast, but races are really won on corner speed and speed in the whoops.

Edit: Furadi, see what i said above about suspension compression. Try rolling off the throttle right before the small bump and then blipping it right as you hit it. See if car launches more level.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
Hey,

I've finally decided to race the 8ight that I've had sitting around for a while, in favor of the normal MT class that I run. Obviously it handles much different so it will take some getting used to.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering what people are doing during practice (and races) to help improve their driving techniques enabling them to push a higher limit.
Brake before the corner, power through it....
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote