R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
a few dollars more wont kill me but when a few dollars more becomes a few more on top of that then it starts to make the hobbie to expensive maybe your rich and money is no concern. maybe you need to find a different attitude.
I most definitely am not rich. My point is that fuel is a tiny fraction of my racing budget. I can spend more on tires in a weekend then I do all year on fuel. So if you can't afford fuel there is nothing else about this hobby you can afford.

I am just sick of everyone griping about hobby shops price gouging. It has little or nothing to do with hobby shops. If you don't believe me, go out and try to buy a drum of nitromethane. This time last year I would have had no problem getting all the ingredients to make my own fuel for around 12 dollars a gallon. Now you would be lucky to even find a drum of nitro and if you do you will be paying through the nose for it.

Maybe the people that want to blame hobby shops that are struggling to get by for all the woes in international economy need to get a new attitude.

Last edited by wingracer; 07-23-2008 at 07:37 PM.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Here is an idea of current prices for you.

http://www.worldwideracingfuels.com/...oductid=790071
Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz Send a message via AIM to zardoz Send a message via MSN to zardoz Send a message via Yahoo to zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post

At the shop I was working at, the 30% is sold at about $35/gallon.

Thats roughly what I'm paying down here in Florida for it.
AE RC8T FT
Team Holy Rollers
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to zardoz Send a message via AIM to zardoz Send a message via MSN to zardoz Send a message via Yahoo to zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Here is an idea of current prices for you.

http://www.worldwideracingfuels.com/...oductid=790071
OUCH!! Kinda makes me happy I dont do drag racing.
AE RC8T FT
Team Holy Rollers
zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wing so your telling me the price of fuel doesnt make a difference to the average racer. I know it does at our track. Lets see how many people you will be racing with if the economy gets any worse. If price of fuel doesnt matter then why are millions of people resorting to hybrids or smaller more fuel efficiant vehicles. Thats why our automakers here in the US are suffering. All because fuel has gone up a dollar. So i think a gal of nitro going up $5-10 will have an impact. I agree this hobby is expensive and if its going to break you get out. But how many racers are there that have to be feeling the effect of everything. Hundreds, thousands
moto431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto431 View Post
Wing so your telling me the price of fuel doesnt make a difference to the average racer. I know it does at our track. Lets see how many people you will be racing with if the economy gets any worse. If price of fuel doesnt matter then why are millions of people resorting to hybrids or smaller more fuel efficiant vehicles. Thats why our automakers here in the US are suffering. All because fuel has gone up a dollar. So i think a gal of nitro going up $5-10 will have an impact. I agree this hobby is expensive and if its going to break you get out. But how many racers are there that have to be feeling the effect of everything. Hundreds, thousands

Traitor, get back to our web site...

X-Ray 808 (Active Diff)
BCE 8X8 Pro Chassis
OS Speed (XCustoms Head Mod)
Hitec 5995TG (S&T)
M11 & Spectrum.
Steve Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto431 View Post
What I am saying is that if you want to get mad about RC prices there are better targets then fuel. Tires are my single biggest expense BY FAR. If I can save a dollar per pair on tires that just covered my fuel bill for the summer. Still, I have to agree that price increases suck, even on the cheaper parts. I'm just getting really pissed at all the people that want to blame the hobby shops and first rate manufacturers like Byron's for it. If you really want to blame someone and flame the boards about it blame China and our dependence on overseas production. Get off the backs of hobby shop owners that are not making squat on any of this stuff. I don't see many hobby shop owners driving around in Ferarri's unless they were rich BEFORE they opened the shop just for fun.

And then there are all those people that thing the shops should sell at the old prices until this blows over. Let me ask you this. If you make your living and feed your family by selling a $20 product for $25, are you going to keep selling it at 25 when your costs go up to 26? I really doubt it.

I would love to have cheap fuel but if I can't get it I will pay a few dollars more and go to one less race. Since I have to drive at least 2 hours to race anything the gas I save in my real car will pay for a couple gallons at the next race.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Byrons Fuel is the BEST in the world man....the world!!!
Tonys Screws- Keeps you from getting screwed
Byrons Fuel- Makes the RC world go round
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #24
Tech Regular

I am not sure how many of you guys read RC Car magazine but anyways the artice called Keyboard Cowboys by Stephen Bess in the Drivers Stand section reminds me of this thread right here, a bunch of people doing nothing more than bickering about something that none of us can influence. You can post anything you want but the prices will stay the same and it seems that everyone is arguing about something we will all agree on, the price inflation sucks. But there is still arguing going on because in everyones head their opinion is correct and better than everyone elses.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cheesecake

i like how this guy posts to becaome a dealer call them yet they wont sell to you unless your brick and mortar its sad locally we have some one who tried and got turned down because there online only even though they supply the local racers with everything we need
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #26
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro syco View Post
I am not sure how many of you guys read RC Car magazine but anyways the artice called Keyboard Cowboys by Stephen Bess in the Drivers Stand section reminds me of this thread right here, a bunch of people doing nothing more than bickering about something that none of us can influence. You can post anything you want but the prices will stay the same and it seems that everyone is arguing about something we will all agree on, the price inflation sucks. But there is still arguing going on because in everyones head their opinion is correct and better than everyone elses.
Well said. I will shut up now.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

Default Fuel choice?

This is a bit off the subject, but I need some wisdom about nitro content and the life of motors and would greatly appreciate your experience.

Is 30% Byrons Gen 2 with the 11% oil good fuel for an OS Speed?
I'm reading that if I run the 30% I should insert the optional copper head washer?
I'm getting ready to fire it up for the first time, so I would like to make a good fuel choice.
Does 30% significantly decrease the life of a nitromotor compaired to 20% or 25%?
If so is the performance difference very noticable between the nitro content fuels?

How about the oil content? I believe the 30% come in 11% and 8% or something like that. The guys at my LHS just sell the fuel they do not seem very knowlegable about the fuel options.

I have been running GO engines and ran the 30%/11%oil, the motors do not seem to be lasting as long as alot of the GO owners describe ( I know that it could be the owner's fault there...).

I have a few gallos of the 30%/11% now i'm just wondering if I should stay with it.

Thanks
jediwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Yep, stay with it. That's excellent fuel. You will find that the key to engine life is detailed care. Change the air filter frequently, use after run, tune carefully. If you're racing in a club race main and you think the engine is too lean or not running well, pull in and adjust it. A club race is not worth flogging a $300 engine.

Moto, nobody disagrees that the price of nitro getting higher makes a difference but it's a REALLY small difference. If you (we) are racing expensive toy cars for fun than obviously we have disposable income. I am personally more concerned with burning $4 gasoline getting to races that are farther away than I am with a gallon of nitro fuel getting $5-$10 more expensive.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

thats kind of what i was trying to say. it all adds up and when does this expensive hobby become too expensive. it does hurt the hobby if people have to make a decision to either stay home or spend the money to go racing.
moto431 is offline   Reply With Quote