R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachoppers View Post
I see..Ill just have to live with it then..im fairly new to the hobby.I didnt realize tires went so fast.

and ill keep them rotated after each run..
thanks guys
Depends on your track. If it's a fluffy track then tires usually last a lot longer, dry, hard, abrasive tracks not so much. I assume Domit is talking about JCG, which will eat tires when dry. What tires are you running at your track? We have a hard clay track here and just about everybody has had great luck with the Clay compound Panther tires (Switches in particular). Good traction, long life. +1 on rotating tires.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
Depends on your track. If it's a fluffy track then tires usually last a lot longer, dry, hard, abrasive tracks not so much. I assume Domit is talking about JCG, which will eat tires when dry. What tires are you running at your track? We have a hard clay track here and just about everybody has had great luck with the Clay compound Panther tires (Switches in particular). Good traction, long life. +1 on rotating tires.
Iv have been using crimefighters...ill be trying gators next..look very much like crimefighters.

and this is the track I run on.

http://www.promofo-racing.org/video/RCHQ/Prelude.wmv
sachoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
I Have a hot bodies truggy and buggy..both with rapid left front tire wear, center to inner tire wear.
There both set up about the same...-2.0 camber front and rear, +2.0 rear toe,-2.0 front toe..both front and rear arms lvl.
Any Ideas what i could set different.
The clue here is center to inner tire wear. Its a coming out of a turn symptom.
Or a straight away symptom. To much Neg camber with a lot of wheel spin will do this.

Center to out side tire wear will be from powering into a turn.

Make sure you droop in the front are the same am the rear are the same. Finding the setting is s trick takes lots of trial and error with lot of documenting results.

Take the tires off and put some thing under the chassis so the a-arms are not touching the surface and make sure they are the the same measurement.

They don't all four need to be the same just left to right front and back.
I let my a-arms drop till they hit the chassis. But to much chassis roll can cause what your experiencing. Good luck be sure to have a pro at your track check it as well.

GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH.!
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to infanterene

Just rotate the tires. With our old layout it used to happen to me too.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
Yes, I mean JCG. The ONLY tires I get decent wear from are Werks. For some reason they just seem to last a really long time. Even the softest compound wears longer than anything else I've run, so if you're looking to save money by reducing tire wear, pick up a set and give them a try. I like the Lugs pretty well, although I must admit they don't have AS MUCH traction as some others... but probably 3x the life.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #21
Suspended

Quote:
I Have a hot bodies truggy and buggy..both with rapid left front tire wear, center to inner tire wear.
There both set up about the same...-2.0 camber front and rear, +2.0 rear toe,-2.0 front toe..both front and rear arms lvl.
Any Ideas what i could set different.
to an extent I would surmise there is no utlimate setting for any particular car as each driver and their driving style and each track and its surface differs so much from one place to another. I've seen examples where two differnt guys with exactly the same set-up with exactly the same cars exactly the same tires running they same number of laps got entirely different tire wear. one was smooth and the other over agressive (i told the guy complaining about wearing out tires to inquire about "trigger finger" surgery).
also, one way or another most tracks have some sort of turn predomination - or that they're run in a counter clockwise direction, or have more lefthand turns than righthanders, or have all the highspeed corners that go in the same direction - that leads to wearing of tires on one side compared to the other.
but ultimately IMO it comes down to, in addition to avoiding excessive wheel spin and other bad driving habits, to hit a happy medium so as to acheive a set-up that performs the best and wears the tires evenly across the tire - and then to rotate tires to acheive even wear from side to side.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for the replys....Im really starting to believe that it does come down to the way i drive..
wheel spin = loss of traction ,longer lap times and tire wear.
So ill have to learn not to drive as hard..and pull throttle off when i notice wheel spin.
Amazing when you can learn about yourself by asking a simple question.
sachoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #23
Tech Rookie

hi

A friend is easier lost than found..*.  /~ .~\  /~ ~\  /~ .~\  /~ ~\ ***  '   `\/'   * '   `\/'   *  V  ( MY LOEV TO YOU.*)(        . *) /\|/\ \   wow gold,  .*./ \ wow gold, *./  |   `\ .   . .*/'一 `\ .   . .*/'  |    `\ * .*. */' _  _ `\ * .*. */'       `\ * */' ( `\/'*) `\ * */'        `\/'   \  */'  `\/'             `\/'wow gold,wow gold,
Old 07-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #24
Tech Master

If that video is of your current layout then it's not surprising that your having this problem. The whole back section of the track seems to be one big right turn and the sweeper doesn't help any. And to top it off its blue groove. So rotating is your best option.