Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help with modifying motor and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Red face need help with modifying motor and tranny

i recently bought a redcat racing vehicle the tornado bb it is a not well known company and i do not like there motor and transmission setup i was wondering if anyone knows this vehicle and could tell me if i could format ofna parts to this vehicle and what parts it would take any ideas on how to start im stil new with rc cars and i know im taking on a challenge but that the best way to learn right
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by morbidking87
i recently bought a redcat racing vehicle the tornado bb it is a not well known company and i do not like there motor and transmission setup i was wondering if anyone knows this vehicle and could tell me if i could format ofna parts to this vehicle and what parts it would take any ideas on how to start im stil new with rc cars and i know im taking on a challenge but that the best way to learn right
dont mean to be an ass, but I hope redcat isint he same as himoto.

I bought a RTR himoto buggy for like 480$, biggest waste of money I ever spent. I ended up puting another 600$ in is and its still junk.

You are better off buying a nice solid brand car, you get what you pay for.

maybe redcat is better than himoto, or mabe you aernt as hard as I was on my car, but I really wasnt impressed.

Changing your diffs like that will end up costing you 100s of dollars and wont be worth it, the overall quality on those cheap chinese buggies are fairly low, suspension will need upgrading, motor soon, stock electronics are a joke.

as long as your happy, thats just my 2 cents.

have fun man.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Tech Rookie

i understand that and its cool your not a jerk for it but it was my first car only reason i want to put the parts money and time in for it i kept hold of my traxxas and stuff but just wanna get this one going
Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

thats fine, Im just giving you a heads up. That redcat stuff isint the highest quality out there, and you will notice that when you buy replacement parts for it.

as for upgrading the whole transmission and engine setup, the hop up parts might not fit properly. I had a himoto and the gas tank went bad, shocks went bad, engine went bad, and when I went to replace it, nothing fit properly, so i did a half assed job, now the buggy is a POS again . complete waste of money.

let us know how your project comes along, im curious to find out wether you can upgrade the diffs and stuff on a redcat/himoto buggy.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (99%+)

I doubt you'll find much info on this, they are little known buggies and aren't really the sort of buggies people start with if they are wanting to take on a project.

That said, if it is like the Himoto I knew a guy that had one and the GS CL-1 diffs fit in it. They where the smallest 1/8th scale diffs I ever saw.

Like was said you are getting ready to start a very expensinve project. If it where me I would try to salvage what you can get out of the buggy (eBay) and put the money towards a more well known RTR like the Jammin/Ofna RTR, RC8RS, or simular buggies. Parts will be a lot easier to come by and chances are really good that you will need a lot less of them.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Rookie

appreciate the help guys i actually found out that the buggy skid plate underbody or whatever you decide to call it is the same format as the dtx evader truggy i was able to format a xtm 1.8 engine with the redcat clutch and bellhousing for the tranny i did some adjusting to the servos and changed the gears for 1st and 2nd all for a grand total $180.00 and after the break in process i took it to a local track and got third so i guess it wasnt too bad i had a lil help from a guy in town on how exactly to do it but i picked the parts and had the idea of how to di and he just lent the tools and the watchful eye
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by morbidking87
appreciate the help guys i actually found out that the buggy skid plate underbody or whatever you decide to call it is the same format as the dtx evader truggy i was able to format a xtm 1.8 engine with the redcat clutch and bellhousing for the tranny i did some adjusting to the servos and changed the gears for 1st and 2nd all for a grand total $180.00 and after the break in process i took it to a local track and got third so i guess it wasnt too bad i had a lil help from a guy in town on how exactly to do it but i picked the parts and had the idea of how to di and he just lent the tools and the watchful eye
glad you got it working good, just as long as youre not buying 100$ in parts for that thing every week...

When I got my himoto at first, I was doing donuts on the slippery cement floor in my garage, and the clutch bell exploded literally into about 50 tiny tiny pieces, all like 2 or 3 mm squared.. I posted pics on RCU and the guys there said they have NEVER seen a clutch benn exploded that bad, the shoes and springs exploded too. himoto quality right there...