Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

buy both, drive both, then YOU decide what's better
Old 07-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hmm...well, the only thing, to be fair, on the 808 that just plain sucks is the lack of shock boots. Seriously. Though, like many 808 owners, have found various fixes.

I've driven a fellow driver's 8ight and my 808 back to back and, given setup preferences/differences, these are my observations (i'll make this brief):

808:

*Stable as hell (using Rocco's "first" base setup, with a longer rear link)
*Corner speed is just amazing
*Landing jumps and instantly being able to get on trigger is similar to my old Mugen 5R.... i.e. suspension/shocks are very nice.
*Doesnt really feel that light to me ....which can be good and bad.
*Goes through the rough like nothing any peeps at the local track can believe..me included.

8ight

*A little loose in the rear...kind of like Jenna Jameson in that way
*Feels lighter than the 808.
*"Pops" off jumps like a gazelle
*feels WAY more "on the edge" than anything i have ever driven. Ever seen a Losi driver do the "oh Sh!T" dance on the drivers stand?
*Rear end kicks out in the rough
*Turns pretty much like a 1/12 scale on carpet....meaning if you want to turn, it will turn!

anyway....to sum it up, the 808 IMO feels like a lighter, better turning Mugen MBX5R. Which is SWEET!
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #18
XRC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

808 hands down

I drove a Losi for roughly 6 months before picking up a used 808 three weeks ago, like you, just intrigued by the car. The 808 impresses me more and more everytime I drive it. I've ran on a couple different tracks and have not had to turn a wrench yet and have been beyond competitive with a very basic set-up. The durability of the car is outstanding including the normal wear and tear. I can travel packing half as much parts and servos.
If your at all a suspension tuner...the 808 has WAY more tunability than that of the Losi. We're only beginning to scratch the surface of the potential of the 808.
XRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRC View Post
808 hands down

If your at all a suspension tuner...the 808 has WAY more tunability than that of the Losi.
Hmmm, that is not the case at all. I have owned both, and both have the same tuning options out of the box. Even with upgrades, they are both comparable.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Default funny about this choice

we can all argue for our own buggy. Mine is better than yours. for what ever reason. (hint of sarcasm) This servo problem is funny, I hear these complaints, but I am on the same servos since I bought my 8ight almost 18m ago. Loose rear, I found a fix for that. Sure I have replaced a few bearings, but if I replace something I upgrade. So yes I have a few upgraded parts, but it is still mostly the stock buggy. I do not know other drivers habits, but I rebuild the entire buggy after every race weekend. Not because I have to, but because I just like to inspect the parts. This buggy has never broken anything during a race weekend. I have yet to suffer any equipment failure. Anything that looks worn is replaced. Accept the clutch bearings, I replace those after every race weekend along with all clutch parts. The wear parts, are guess, any moving part will wear no matter what buggy you use. Aluminum over cf, sailors have been using cf for a while. It is lighter and the flex is more controlled based upon the threads. I use cf arrows for archery, because of their strength and weight. So I do like cf. A buggy that is so small, I really do not think it matters so much, but I do know a boats cf mast only has 2 years in it. most of us do not own our buggies that long. All higher end buggies have more suspension setups than we know what to do with. Kyosho 777 is a great buggy too. Why not throw that one in the mix. My biggest competitor races one. He knows his buggy well and is a good driver. He wins many races. I am not running out to buy his buggy. If you want something new sure, support the hobby, race and support the sport, is the 808 better, well it does have a lot of bells and whistles, I am sure in the right hands it is a competent buggy, but I will not be surprised if it disappoints like the RC8. Remember the hipe. I hear the new O'Donnell Z01-B is the new big boy one the block, or is it the newest, I forget, does it matter?
Relay8039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to shizzytrx450

Both very nice cars
shizzytrx450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"the 8ight jumps like a gazelle"

so can you make the 808 jump near as good as a losi
or does it jump like any other average buggy like a mbxr ??
Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Speedy:

I'm sure you can...but i havn't been able to. This is just an observation of EVERY 8ight i've seen. No matter what the setup, it seems the 8ight just flies and pops off jumps in a unique (read: good) way.
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

If you take into account similar geometry between Losi & 808, and the fact that the 808 is nearly a half pound (7 ounces I weighed them) lighter than the Losi, the 808 should and does jump better. "Fly's so nice" and "your car looks dialed", is all I hear from other racers after every run with my 808. Like I said I've owned both and seriously my 808 does everything better than my Losi ever did. I'm not saying the Losi isn't a great buggy, I'm just saying the 808 is better.

I too think the point has been made here..... almost every post/driver that has had both buggies, is saying the 808 comes out on top. Thats got to say a little something.... no?

I dont think its hype anymore....
Inside_Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #25
Suspended

Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside_Line View Post
I'm not saying the Losi isn't a great buggy, I'm just saying the 808 is better.
For you it may be better, but not for everybody else.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3 View Post
hmm...well, the only thing, to be fair, on the 808 that just plain sucks is the lack of shock boots. Seriously. Though, like many 808 owners, have found various fixes.

I've driven a fellow driver's 8ight and my 808 back to back and, given setup preferences/differences, these are my observations (i'll make this brief):

808:

*Stable as hell (using Rocco's "first" base setup, with a longer rear link)
*Corner speed is just amazing
*Landing jumps and instantly being able to get on trigger is similar to my old Mugen 5R.... i.e. suspension/shocks are very nice.
*Doesnt really feel that light to me ....which can be good and bad.
*Goes through the rough like nothing any peeps at the local track can believe..me included.
I haven't driven an 808... I have friends that have bought them that used to drive Losi 8ights. The comments are "very similar, but you can push the 808 harder without it biting you."

Quote:
8ight

*A little loose in the rear...kind of like Jenna Jameson in that way
*Feels lighter than the 808.
*"Pops" off jumps like a gazelle
*feels WAY more "on the edge" than anything i have ever driven. Ever seen a Losi driver do the "oh Sh!T" dance on the drivers stand?
*Rear end kicks out in the rough
*Turns pretty much like a 1/12 scale on carpet....meaning if you want to turn, it will turn!
Yup, spot on, every word. I did the "oh shit" dance many times... push it, and it WILL bite you!

There are some very high wear areas on the Losi
(steering rack, front-center CVD and diff outdrive, diff cups, and rear ring-and-pinion.) Steering rack is an easy fix, $2 worth of bronze bushings and a little work. The others are not so easy or cheap.

Quote:
anyway....to sum it up, the 808 IMO feels like a lighter, better turning Mugen MBX5R. Which is SWEET!
I'd say it a little differently... I'd call it "a Losi with traction, and without the high wear issues." NOBODY tops Xray on quality...

IF I were a better driver, I would have been camped out at the hobby shop waiting to buy an 808. I really liked my Losi when I had it, but it ate me up on maintaining it... and it was too much for me to handle. Hence the Jammin now. The Losi WILL make you a better driver, in the same way driving a 2wd gas truck will. It will make you get smooth, or else! The 808 will do everything the Losi will, but without the high wear areas and the excessive edginess. In the hands of the right driver either is a great car, capable of winning ANY race on ANY day... but then again, I had the pleasure of watching Taylor James "check out" in the Jammin at OKC... so... it's more about the driver than the car.

I'd pick the Xray over the Losi hands down... having owned a Losi but not the Xray.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #27
Tech Master

I'm told that the Losi is twitchy (feels fine to me), I'm not sure about the 808. But if you are like me and come from electric, the Losi will feel like comming home. If the 808 is twitchy than I might look at it. It's deffinatly a solid car.

“Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.”
jrwoodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #28
Tech Adept

In My own words all Xray did was learn from the Losi and improved on its flaws. The Losi is an excellent designed car just has some flaws in durability which really makes you put more maintence on the car between runs.

Xray learned from the flaws of the Losi and improved on the design. Plain and simple.

Honestly I love my 808 and I only put one club race on it. So Im selling my TC stuff.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
There are some very high wear areas on the Losi
(steering rack, front-center CVD and diff outdrive, diff cups, and rear ring-and-pinion.) Steering rack is an easy fix, $2 worth of bronze bushings and a little work. The others are not so easy or cheap.
Losi has updated diff outdrives and heavy duty diff cups. Say goodbye to any diff problems with those. There are $8 ea. Try the Mike Truhe set-up in the Losi buggy, it takes a lot of the twitchiness away. It did for me, I'm a beginner and can finally drive this car with confidence now. I went from crashomatic to almost making my first A-main in that class. The car doesn't step out anymore and is very comfortable to drive. I love it. If I didn't have the Losi, I would probably get the Xray since I'm a machinist and like tight tolerances, but the looseness doesn't hurt this car.
looneytune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #30
XRC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Hmmm, that is not the case at all. I have owned both, and both have the same tuning options out of the box. Even with upgrades, they are both comparable.
Not to start a pi$$ing contest, but there is more adjustability on the 808 out of the box.
-Shimming front and rear arms forward and back
-4 different ackerman points
-Ability to shim inner steering links for bump steer
-Caster block changes

The up-grades are very similar.
XRC is offline   Reply With Quote