R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   X2, ST-RR or RC8T (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/232915-x2-st-rr-rc8t.html)

ab18th 07-19-2008 10:47 PM

X2, ST-RR or RC8T

I know I'm a new member but i've been reading and lurking for months on end. I've been out of rc for about 4 years and I'm looking to mostly race. I don't really care about price (yes I'm fortunate but I bust my *** for what I have and 60 hr wk weeks prove it) but I do care about LOW MAINTANANCE and durabiltiy. I'm not looking for flavor of the month replies, or I'm sponsored by them (but if you are and you like to offer an anonymous opinon about which is best) and that's all that matters so thanks but no thanks. I've done search's here and I'm really wanting to know if the three I've listed have any big diferences (ST-RR, RC8T, X2)? I want smooth, durable as he** and well that's all that really matters!!! Thanks...Mike

wild gopher 07-19-2008 11:03 PM

I would say bust your balls a little more (read 80 hours per week) and get all of them.

shoxone808 07-19-2008 11:47 PM

:lol: funny

kd2777 07-20-2008 12:53 AM

Wayne the 8T still working good for you?

Asfaras what you are wanting, I really think you left the one that fits that bill the most off the list, the MBX5T. It is completly bullet proof and when I use to race it there where many weeks that come race day I pulled it out of the truck from the week before.

I've had the ST-RR and I liked it alot, it isn't really that picky about maintance, but it will break alot more often than any other truck I've had.

I had the X1 Jammin a long time ago and it was a very sound truck, I didn't really care for how it drove so we parted ways. I am really impressed with every X2 I've seen run so out of the choices you have listed I would lean towards it.

The RC8T isn't out yet, so short of one of the Ryan's or Saxton chiming in you can't get any options on it that aren't fan boy related. I will say however that even though I love the way the car drives, unless they really ramped up the plastic durability, I can't imigne the RC8T holding up very well to truggy racing.

Overall my suggestions would be; MBX5T, Jammin X2, ST-RR, and RC8T.

nta01 07-20-2008 02:24 AM

Honestly, you've really just open up a I like this because I run this thread.

Out of the 3 truggys that you've listed, only one is readily available to the public and that's the ST-RR. So no-one except for the select few who have the X-2 (mainly sponsored) can really give you an opinion on them.

With that said, you can only look at this in another way. AE, while their truggy is in R&D and Pre-Production, what do their top drivers choose as their weapon of choice, the ST-RR, both Maifield and Cavalieri run them. Almost half of the field in the truggy Nats A-Mainers were running the ST-RR.

Yes, I run an ST-RR but i have tested between the Kyosho and the Losi 8T and for me, I was a lot faster with the Kyosho.

Powerlink 07-20-2008 05:54 AM

I had my ST-RR for 7 months and only broke 2 front arms mostly my fault for the way I was driving it at the time .If the $ is not a prob. the kyosho would be the choice .Seven months and $20.00 bucks in repairs ."That's durable" Mugen would be my second choice even though it's not listed.The others haven't been out long enough to give an opinion .If possible ,drive one and you never look back .:tire::tire:

Davidka 07-20-2008 06:58 AM

I believe Mugen has the best truggy out there now. Build it, slap a good setup on it, run it, clean it. It's easy to work on tough as nails (materials are top quality, like Xray) and handles every bit as well as anything out there and better than most.

K.Copeland 07-20-2008 11:19 AM

The X2 is available to the public and from what I've seen, you can't beat any of the Jammin cars. NO additional parts are needed to finish a race and parts are relatively cheap compared to others.

Look at the RC8, i"m sure the truggy will be no different ( service packs going out to owners)

ST-RR- if you dont mind wood screws, overpriced parts, and updates every 6 months.

srac cr ot wen 07-20-2008 11:05 PM

I dont know if a "noobs" opinion matters to the OP.. or anyone else for that matter.

but I run a mugen and I love it. Its a tough buggy and even my set up, which i know is very very wrong, still makes it drive like a dream.

The only part ive had to replace on it is one of the front arms, and thats because it had a very bad crash.

nitro rat 07-21-2008 12:08 AM

it is worth while looking at the x ray XT8 Quality parts and they drive nicely

wild gopher 07-21-2008 04:00 PM

Kevin the 8T has been great for me so far. Ive got several 20 minute A-mains on it so far and its done nothing but impress me.

GH Racing 07-21-2008 04:09 PM

I recommend a mugen

losi 8t 07-22-2008 01:28 PM

MUGEN I WOULD SAY IS HANDS DOWN...GET IT OR GET BEAT BY IT. :nod:

slaytanic 07-22-2008 01:59 PM

From what I have seen the ST-RR is THE truggy to beat right now.

Oasis 07-22-2008 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by xrayeddy (Post 4655172)
The X2 is available to the public and from what I've seen, you can't beat any of the Jammin cars. NO additional parts are needed to finish a race and parts are relatively cheap compared to others.

Look at the RC8, i"m sure the truggy will be no different ( service packs going out to owners)

ST-RR- if you dont mind wood screws, overpriced parts, and updates every 6 months.

Really..their is nothing wrong with phillips screws..if you own a decent screwdriver and remember it's not one size fits all..On the change from ST-R to ST-RR it was something Kyosho HAD to do to make their Truggy competitive here in the states..On the parts..if they last 3 times as long as Losi parts (and they do..;)) I'll pay a bit more for them..and Losi is working on a new Truggy..maybe next year..i have seen it..:nod:..I hope that Mugen took all the bump steer out of the new one..oh and the push needs to go also..I'm not counting pennies here..i'm racing..lol..On the RC8..Why is their only one mounting position on the shock tower?? I would like to at least have a few options..