R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Time to hang up the kyosho k3 looking for new buggy please help

ok I have a kyosho kanai 3 and im looking to upgrade to a new buggy with newer technology. Between the losi eight and rc8 which are going to be close as in reseamble my current buggy im still a beginner in my eyes and the tracks are kinda small around here. I dont want to get in the war between what I said above about reseamble kyosho I understand there is die hards that dont want to have the kyosho ever be compared to others. Im simply talking handling wise and jumping wise and durability wise and anything you can think of
Thanks
famous182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jpalessi Send a message via Skype™ to jpalessi

I love my new buggy! check it out! Handles awesome, Very durable, and very affordable!

www.Tqracing.net

TQ Racing SX8
Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

8ight vs. RC8

That should help you out a little more if you didn't read it already.Also another great buggy is the Mugen MBX5R.Not new technology but the thing has got to be the most durable buggy out there.
dave8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Famous, I haven't run 1/8 in several years. My last 1/8 was a K3, which I loved. That said, I just picked up an 8ight. I drove a buddy's when they first came out and loved the handling, absolutely the most nimble 1/8 I'd ever wheeled. And I'm an AE guy, LOL. Haven't run an RC8 yet but from what I've seen it's a good car. Both cars have some issues (outer hinge and you want the HD diff cups on the Losi, tank and service pack on the AE). Don't think you can go wrong with either one, but the 8ight kinda reminds me of the way my K3 was with its responsiveness and supple suspension.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

New Mugen on the way soon. Should be a good one.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

A little spendy... but... if I were shopping for a buggy, and felt comfortable with a very nimble, athletic car (I'm not really a good enough driver for that, which is why I got rid of my 8ight...) I'd buy an Xray 808.

I have a number of friends running them... they describe it as "an aggressive Losi with more traction."

And nobody... PERIOD, matches Xray quality. Kyosho is close, but for more money... Jammin is Kyosho-ish but a little more planted, and wears a bit faster- the trade off there is less expensive initially AND for parts.

It comes down to driving style. Are you smooth? Do you correct quickly without over-correcting? If so, the 2 cars you mentioned, and the 808, will suit you very well.

Are you a sloppy driver? NONE of those (including the 808) will tolerate that well. They are all VERY precise and nimble... but not very forgiving. Of course setup makes a huge difference, and you can tame an edgy car to a certain extent... So do an honest evaluation of your skill level, then decide.

I'm honest enough with myself that I know that none of those cars will suit me well... I drove the Losi for a while, but it was a "learning tool" to improve my skill- I knew before getting it that it was too much for me to handle and be consistant with. It's a GREAT car for the right driver... as is the AE, and the 808. If you want something that will teach you to drive, those will do it... but be prepared to be frustrated for a while.

If you want a car that is more forgiving, the Jammin would be my top choice... unless you are an absolute beginner... then nothing is as stable and forgiving as the Mugen. (I'm not saying the Mugen isn't a good car for a more experienced driver either- there are folks that are smokin' fast with it!) The Jammin just turns a little better.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Caster Buggy Kit comes with all the bells and whistles (including big bores) for around $400.
bc24fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Caster ZX1-R is a great buggy to get. for the price it is as good as alot of higher dollar buggies out there with all the same adjustments and hop ups the others offer. I think would be a great step up for you without breaking the bank too!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

did the caster win nationals, i didnt think so, why not get the best buggy on the planet, i have local team drivers that say the losi is the best out there and they arent drivin for losi

Team Hudson
HarleyMf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyMf2 View Post
did the caster win nationals, i didnt think so, why not get the best buggy on the planet, i have local team drivers that say the losi is the best out there and they arent drivin for losi
The buggy did not win the nationals, the driver did. Get any of those drivers and give them any decent car and they will win. If what is winning all time is how you decide to on what to drive then I am sorry. Go ahead and jump on the bandwagon every year with whatever is winning. Losi is winning because they have some of the best drivers right now BUT I sort of keep seeing Associated kicking Losi's but lately so they must be the best out there now right?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

no car has won more than the kyosho !!!! the k3 is a badass car , period !!!! save on a new kit , buy engines , parts , clutches , etc. etc.
embrace the k car ,
monty

and yes , i have tried other cars !!!!! including Losi.
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
no car has won more than the kyosho !!!! the k3 is a badass car , period !!!! save on a new kit , buy engines , parts , clutches , etc. etc.
embrace the k car ,
monty

and yes , i have tried other cars !!!!! including Losi.
Monty, what about the new K9 coming out? This should be the buggy to hold out on yeah?
jgtruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc24fl View Post
The Caster Buggy Kit comes with all the bells and whistles (including big bores) for around $400.
Just an FYI, but I've seen the Losi kit for under $450 online, so not that big a difference. I believe you can get the RC8 kit for about the same, I know I saw them at like $479 not long ago.
cjtamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Associated is the best... but kyosho is a close second
Email: chad.nix@venom-group.com
chadn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

808 nuff said. Anyone who doesn't agree hasn't driven one that is dialed
XT8 Hobbywing 150a esc/2000kv combo KILLER! Full rc-monster e conversion. 4s
slaytanic is offline   Reply With Quote