R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Domit pretty much hit the nail on the head with his description of the characteristics of the different cars. I have owned the MP7.5, MP777, MBX5, Hyper 8, Hyper 8.5, 8ight, and OCM Kaos. My current favorite is the Kaos with the MBX5 a close second. When I bought the 8ight, I thought I was a better driver than I was. However, the reality was much different than the image in my mind. It forced me to take a hard look at my driving style and make some changes that I had never before realized I needed to make. Over-correcting was rewarded with a buggy pointed the wrong direction or upside down after landing a jump. Sloppy throttle control really illustrated how quickly a buggy can get out of shape. When I drove well, I could turn some really fast laps but the instant I lost focus or got frustrated it got away from me. Could I have kept going with it and got even better? Sure, but my rate of improvement had started to level off and there is only so much racing season in Illinois and I wanted some quicker results. I switched to the OCM Kaos and all the lessons I learned from the 8ight paid huge dividends. I haven't matched my fastest lap from the 8ight yet but my average lap times are consistent and I have some actual podium finishes...something I never had with the 8ight.

This is not an endorsement of any buggy over another, it is simply MY experience and what worked for me.

What I am trying to illustrate is, take a good honest look at your skill level and driving style and buy accordingly. What works well for someone else may not be what works for you. There are a few people in every discipline that are world class and can do well with anything...most of us don't fit that description.

And, to echo what vnmsgt said, drivers win races, buggies don't. Get what you can drive well, not what others drive well.
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadn View Post
Associated is the best... but kyosho is a close second
ok spanky !!!!
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

My last buggy was a K3 also. I traded it in and got a Losi 8ight 2 years ago and love it.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by famous182 View Post
ok I have a kyosho kanai 3 and im looking to upgrade to a new buggy with newer technology. Between the losi eight and rc8 which are going to be close as in reseamble my current buggy im still a beginner in my eyes and the tracks are kinda small around here. I dont want to get in the war between what I said above about reseamble kyosho I understand there is die hards that dont want to have the kyosho ever be compared to others. Im simply talking handling wise and jumping wise and durability wise and anything you can think of
Thanks
Is there something wrong with your K3 or do you have some money burning a hole in your pocket? What do you hope to gain by dumping a car you are familiar with and should run more than competitively still? You didn't say why so I am just reminding you if you hadn't though much of it. If you like it keep running it until Kyosho doesn't support it anymore. You are not going to gain anything. Especially if you admit your are still somewhat of a beginner. I'm still running an MP-6! Just a suggestion.
I think about a new one once in awhile but I'm too stubborn. Mine runs fine. From what I've seen at the track the RC8 is extremely tough and lots of suspension travel, not much needed to make right on it out of the box. Can't say I've seen any of the others. Good luck!
bjr48 is offline   Reply With Quote